PDA

View Full Version : Jl Audio or Kickers?

O2K
02-27-2004, 03:46 PM
which ones would sound more cleaner? the W7s or the L7s?

MrBen
02-27-2004, 04:04 PM
W7's IMO. I went out and got a W6 before they discontinued them and I love it to say the least. Clean bass all the way around.

NXRacer
02-27-2004, 04:57 PM
KICKERS SUCK. does that answer your question? :D

Vinny
02-27-2004, 05:12 PM
I had 3 12w6's in my 94 tbird and loved them, Haven't been inpressed with stillwater designs since I blew 2 solobarics, but that was when they ran 300 or so each

sccrsteve5
02-28-2004, 12:14 AM
i'd say l7s. they are pretty nice and the majority of ppl choose those over the w7s

RobT5580
02-28-2004, 08:46 AM
I like them both and would say the W6's if you can find them. I think the W7 will be overkill for most people depending what size you want plus you will need a bigger amp to power them. I almost bought 2 12W7's but they are just massive and i thought it would be overkill plus i would have had to step up my amps a bit. I would consider one 12W7 for space/output.

TWOLOUDNPROUD
02-28-2004, 09:38 AM
The JL W7 is so sensitive you can hear your Amp clip I been to the JL training on the W7 it a Bad A$$ Woofer one 13.5 sounds like two 15in woofer they are Sweet But they cost a arm and a leg that the down side it

RobT5580
02-28-2004, 10:07 AM
I would like to hear one in a car i have only heard them on demo in stores. I would consider one W7 if i was not happy with one infinity perfect. Im having space issues right now because i need a 17" spare in my trunk which i have in their but there is no room with my 2 12's, batter, cd changer, and amp rack and my strut bar keeps everything pushed back so less room. Plus i want to loose some weight so iv been considering loosing one amp and one sub.

89AcCOrDmike
02-28-2004, 11:21 AM
if you can afford a nice amp for the jl audio, get the w7, IMO L7's and W7's aren't even on the playing field

O2K
02-28-2004, 11:23 AM
which reminds me, what kind of amp would power the w7s?

and how many watts?

like could someone give me an example?

TOoN
02-28-2004, 03:34 PM
for your car..........L7...............W7's hold too much power, and are made to run three.....with about 5,000 watts too them..........and that in way to much power for your car..........plus each woofer cost $1,000 it'll cost you between $3,000 and $6,000 to do the w7's right.........there made for hummers and shit...............hope this helps

O2K
02-28-2004, 04:26 PM
thanks toon,

how would the w6's sound in my car?

RobT5580
02-28-2004, 05:07 PM
The W7's are not to much for an accord they come in all sizes you could even go with a 10". And as far as price goes you can find them at a decent price online but you will need a decent amp to power this sub. I dont remember the exact output but Mykwikcoupe was talking about taking out his 12W6's and putting in a single W7.

MrBen
02-28-2004, 05:12 PM
Like I said I bought a single W6 and it is intense.

Corey's89
02-28-2004, 05:18 PM
kickers suck for sound i have a kicker and it hits but not clean.

RobT5580
02-28-2004, 06:29 PM
My uncle has 2 Kicker Solobaric 12's in his Lexus and they sound pretty damn good to me but then again his PG amp was not cheap and puts out a lot of power. So far the only subs i have owned were 2 JL 12W0 which were pretty nice for being such a low series and now i have 2 Infinity Perfect 12's which im happy with their output but i wish i could have gotten the W6's because so far everyone i know that had them loved them.

AccordEpicenter
03-02-2004, 09:01 AM
I had the 02 Comp Vrs and they kicked ass... Ive heard the W7 and it was clean and very nice sounding but i think a L7 would be the sub if you wanted to go all out and had TONS of power (they barely move with under 1kw to each sub) the L7, but for everybody else youll be better off with a W7

TOoN
03-03-2004, 08:33 PM
Corey, it might not be your Kicker subs that don't sound good....it has mostly to do with your amp also...................I have to kicker subs and they sound awesome because I have a good amp....and a Cd player with an EQ......the amp also has a built-in crossover.....................

AccordEpicenter
03-04-2004, 01:28 PM
dont forget that 50% of the way a sub sounds in the enclosure, 30% is the sub itself, and 20% is the amp... Remember that when youve seen friends that have nice subs but they sound like ass so theyll blame their amp but their box is completely built wrong or completely designed wrong too

89AcCOrDmike
03-04-2004, 09:26 PM
^^^this guy knows what he's talking about, couldn't have said it any better myself!

Project-LXi
03-05-2004, 11:09 AM
i'd say l7s. they are pretty nice and the majority of ppl choose those over the w7s
Which proves my point that most people are stupid. :)

Seriously W7s are some of the BEST subs u can buy. Yes they take a hell of a lot of power to run them, which means you WILL have to upgrade your cars power delivery system - you will need a more powerful alternator, battery, and capacitor, and dont skimp out when it comes to wiring; buy the thickest gauge available. Quick Disconnect style fuses work better than conventional ones for this type of setup as well.

You will also HAVE TO sound proof your car! When I bought my 2 W3v2s and 250/1 JL amp, my battery AND alternator quikly took a big smoking dump. I replaced the alternator with a custom spun 200 amp one (the stock one is between 30 and 60 amps depending on year/model!!). In addition to power delivery, I also had to soundproof my trunk. I used figerglass insulation, ducttape and felt to cover it all, thats the cheap way to do it; there are also dynomat or spray foam as viable options.

I have an alpine 60x4w deck powering JL and Kenwood Speakers; I have good midrange - if I upgraded to a 1000/1 and w7s? HAHAHAHA! ... So unless you have amped x-overs and a shitload of soundproofing dont even think about getting w7s!

My system is plenty loud to rattle a window or two of buildings I pass if I want them too, and is more than enough bass for my tastes, which is good there is a subwoofer output control on my deck!! My advice to you is to rethink what subs to put in your car; I can say I am very happy with my current sound setup.

As for buying kicker (or anything else than JL or Alpine) DONT DO IT! you will just regret it later when your friends JL system sounds 1000 times better. I know this from experience having gone thru 3 different sub setups!

Hope this helps.

pmip
03-05-2004, 07:10 PM
Which proves my point that most people are stupid. :)
Seriously W7s are some of the BEST subs u can buy. Yes they take a hell of a lot of power to run them, which means you WILL have to upgrade your cars power delivery system - you will need a more powerful alternator, battery, and capacitor, and dont skimp out when it comes to wiring; buy the thickest gauge available. Quick Disconnect style fuses work better than conventional ones for this type of setup as well.

I completely agree, W7s are some of the best subs you can buy. The L7s can't compare at all as far as sound quality, JUST LISTEN TO THE 2 DRIVERS BACK TO BACK!!!!! The W7s are also one of the few drivers that are precise enough to sound very good in a ported enclosure. This means that with a W7 in a ported box tuned low, you can get the spl and low end extension of a ported box, while sounding pretty much as good as a sealed box. That said, it is all in the install (as AccordEpicenter stated). Going back to the original question of the thread though, if everything else was optimal the W7s would sound much cleaner then the L7s.

As for buying kicker (or anything else than JL or Alpine) DONT DO IT! you will just regret it later when your friends JL system sounds 1000 times better. I know this from experience having gone thru 3 different sub setups!

Hope this helps.

I don't really agree with you here. Other then their headunits, I have yet to hear anything I really like from alpine (I'm running type r components now, and used to have 2 12" type r drivers in a sealed box). But that's just my opinion, and I do realize there are many, many people out there that really like alpine (shepherd79...). But mainly, while W7s are SOME of the best drivers you can buy, there are many others that have very comparable SQL and cost much less (Brahma, Better Audio, RE XXX, IDMAX, Magnum D2, mmats, Xtant, Diamond Audio, Elemental Designs, etc).

AccordEpicenter
03-05-2004, 08:17 PM
yeah ive heard alpine components and amps and wasnt overly impressed (love their HUs)... but the type R 15 is one hell of a sub. I think the point of this thread is that W7 > L7 for SQ but if youre going for an all out spl system then L7 is probably the better bet, and yes there are some very comparable products to BOTH for less $$$. All the JL equipped systems ive seen and heard had some of the nicest well defined bass but werent on the huge end on SPL numbers, but many times peak SPL comes at sacrificing SQ...

Flipupheadlightdude
03-10-2004, 11:01 AM
W7's kick. Two have been said to take out windows of adjacent cars. Amps are just as important as the subs. You don't want two JL's powered by a pheonix amplifier. You get what you pay for when it comes to car audio.

sccrsteve5
03-10-2004, 09:11 PM
I have been doing some research cuz i really wanted to know which was really better...i based my post earlier on what i had heard from the few people that had those subs. i knew of no one with w7s and therefore knew nothing of their performance. i met a guy at school(rich bastard) with two L7's powered a little low and it sounded pretty amazing in his truck(Ford F-250, Ext. cab, 18" lift). i then hopped into his friends truck(GMC, Ext. cab) with one w7 powered just right. It sounded perfect. I loved it. It almost was too much for me. AS project-LXi said, you will need a helluva lot of damping going on. My friend's truck wasn't too bad but it wasn't in a trunk either...still heard rattle somewhere tho. Oh and BTW they were both ported tuned to i dunno what...they didn't know exactly when i asked. will find out tho. w7's are a bit better IMO.

P.S.-It really does help to hear the difference. The one w7 kicked ass. Oh and another BTW...rich dairy boys get freakin everything!!! damn bastards... :gun:

O2K
03-11-2004, 07:08 PM
whats the ideal pricing for one 12 w6, a really good amp, box, installation, and wiring along with a 2 year warranty?

someone gave me a quote of 935, is that good or can they do betteR?

Hash_man_Se_i
03-11-2004, 10:59 PM
As for buying kicker (or anything else than JL or Alpine) DONT DO IT!

I beg to disagree. I have an alpine HU and absolutely love it. It puts out way better sound and power than my friends JVC, and Clarion decks, but other than that... there are way better products. I think that alpine makes pretty decent speakers, but I am not a huge fan of their subs, and their amps either. Yes alpine F1 stuff is amazing, but that is in a different league, it costs like $5000 for a pair of speakers.

If you want a JL W7 competitor, look at something like the new Alpine Type X sub. Or maybe something like the Eclipse Titanium sub, or Focal's quad... yes QUAD voice coil polyKevlar sub. These things compete quite nicely with the W7, but not the Kickers.

Kickers are junk.. every one that I have heard sounded terrible, even in the kicker demo vehicle.

I have to say that I am more of an SQ guy, not SPL, but the best sounding system that I have heard so far, that also pounded really well, was one of the Focal demo vehicles, done by a shop in town, which had 3 11" Focal subs, powered by an Audison LRX 2.500 Amp. I love those amps, and think that they kick Alpines amps in the ass, and definately would kill many other amps.

Hash_man_Se_i
03-11-2004, 11:00 PM
whats the ideal pricing for one 12 w6, a really good amp, box, installation, and wiring along with a 2 year warranty?

Not sure, but I only buy equipment that the factory trusts the product well enough to put a long enough warranty on it. My Xtant sub and my amp both came with 3 year warranties from the factory.

DanLXI88
03-11-2004, 11:14 PM
I like them both actually. But I run an Old School KICKER gold letter Comp triple stiched 18''. I LOVE this sub. with 150-300 watts RMS that sub will DROP!as for the newer stuff I think I would run JLs I dont care for the new Comps.

O2K
03-14-2004, 01:38 PM
dont forget that 50% of the way a sub sounds in the enclosure, 30% is the sub itself, and 20% is the amp... Remember that when youve seen friends that have nice subs but they sound like ass so theyll blame their amp but their box is completely built wrong or completely designed wrong too

say i got the w3v2's and got them in this box http://jlaudio.com/enclosures/CVS110GW3v2.html

http://jlaudio.com/enclosures/images/CVS110G_W3v2_FLT.jpg

and got the jl 500/1 amp

would that sound better than in a regular box?

SQ is the SQUAD
03-27-2004, 04:22 PM
if anyone is realy intrested i am selling my jl 500/1 amp, i used it about 2 months then pulled my system out to redo the car. i also have a 300/4 but for some reason the 4 channels dont put out any bass, which is good if your gonna run it on inside speakers. thes jl amps are all raw power and ill let them go for $200 ea. ill see if i can find the boxes but i think they got wet in my basement. i have 3 10" w3's that ill sell for $250 but i will not ship 617-593-1570 victor

POS carb
03-28-2004, 11:11 AM
yea my friend had 2 12" comp VRs in a sealed box w/ a punch amp, he popped the sliding window off of his Ranger. they were definately kicking and I'm sure those L7s sound louder. If you find a good deal on the l7's I don't think you'll be dissapointed but I've never heard a w7 but from the look of them I'd be scared to bass those monsters! Just don't go hooking up a 200 watt amp to either of these subs and wonder why it sounds like shit! Build a factory spec box!!