PDA

View Full Version : Vapor Lock?

87DXHatch
07-09-2002, 02:45 PM
My Dad was driving my car in the city today and when he was coming home it started to hesistate like it was running low on gas. He said it happens when it gets hot outside and there is like a vacuum created in the gastank. When he went to fill it up at the gas station, there was a huge whooshing sound when he opened the gas tank.

Does this sound about right? Also, he said I should get a gas tank cap that "breathes." Does anyone know where I can find one?

Thanks

Dutchboy
07-09-2002, 03:33 PM
I think that the gas tank is supposed to have a bit of pressure build up... if there is alot then the charcoal canister or a fuel vapor line is probably not working...the vapors are supposed to stay in the tank for emisions use..
check out the canister and lines first...
I guess when it is hot though there will probably be a bigger build up of vapor too though so might be nothing,.
Ben

XBLCanterX
07-11-2002, 10:08 AM
mine does the same thing every time I fill up...i take off the cap and wooooosh...who knows?

DanG86LX
07-11-2002, 10:08 PM
I would say when the tank is empty (pump time :mad: ) there's a lot of fuel vapors there.
Don't mess up with the filler cap cause that is actually a two way valve - should be a genuine Honda part!

DanG :p

GreenMachine
07-11-2002, 10:59 PM
I remember talkin to the guys at Honda when I was gettin that warranty work done - for the rust forming around the gas filler nozzle- anyways they said it should make that noise because the tank is supposed to hold some pressure, psi :werd:

DanG86LX
07-12-2002, 08:54 AM
Yeah.. I had mine replaced this spring. Looked quite rusted :barf: (cap removed) but did not bother till I notice that there is no longer vapor pressure there. It is a safety recall so your dealer should replace it for free even after 16 years! :super:
Only 86,87 both Card and FI.

http://www.alldata.com/recalls/index.html
93021 OCT 93 Recall - Fuel Filler Pipe

vtec11
07-12-2002, 09:22 AM
Where can get more information about those TSB's ? like:

95020 JUN 95 A/C - Converting R-12 Systems to R-134a

94025 AUG 94 Steering - Wheel Oscillates or Has a Shimmy

89043 DEC 89 Engine - Hesitates Under Light Acceleration

88013 APR 89 Engine - Steering Wheel Vibration At Idle