PDA

View Full Version : NO exhuast whatsoever

ChaseR
02-27-2004, 11:35 PM
OK I was cutting my cat off today and I ran out of time becuase i had to go to work so I didnt have time to bolt up the exhuast again. LOL it sounds like a TOP fuel dragster and it sounds a lot faster :)

johnwc723
02-27-2004, 11:38 PM
yeah well the great part about the whole exaust game is yes no ehaust is faster than anything else (less back pressure of course) i love it when people put the BOMB mufflers on there and they are louder than than if you were to just have no exaust on at all!

riced_roach
02-27-2004, 11:54 PM
No exhaust is a good way of losing HP. You require some backpressure for a naturally aspirated engine. If you have a turbo you can get away with no muffler due to the characteristics of muffling from the turbo.

Perhaps it'll sound faster but I'd almost guarantee your slowing down.

smufguy
02-28-2004, 05:30 AM
No exhaust is a good way of losing HP. You require some backpressure for a naturally aspirated engine. If you have a turbo you can get away with no muffler due to the characteristics of muffling from the turbo.

Perhaps it'll sound faster but I'd almost guarantee your slowing down.

Defenitely true for street cars with mildly tuned engines.

Get a hig revver that guzzles gas at the Drag strip, and its a NA motor. Well then yeah u dont need anything beyond a 4-1 header. That is only if ur revvin like those friggin modded B18c5s that run strictly on track.

jagojon3
02-28-2004, 09:00 AM
Defenitely true for street cars with mildly tuned engines.

Get a hig revver that guzzles gas at the Drag strip, and its a NA motor. Well then yeah u dont need anything beyond a 4-1 header. That is only if ur revvin like those friggin modded B18c5s that run strictly on track.
4-1? I don't think so.

ChaseR
02-28-2004, 11:54 AM
Oh Definitly I put the "new" pipe back on without the cat and its noticably faster than without an exhuast at all.

ChaseR
02-28-2004, 12:06 PM
Does anyone have any idea on about how much power is gained from doing this mod?

86LXItooFAST4me
02-28-2004, 12:22 PM
im guessing 10-15 but it depends if you have any other mods, it corresponds with the rest of your air flow.

riced_roach
02-28-2004, 10:34 PM
Dont expect miracles from an exhaust system. I would say if you can gain 3-5% your doing extremely well. Headwork, cam and more compression is what makes a significant difference. Since majority of guys stick with stock stroke I'd say theres one of the biggest limitations.

smufguy
02-28-2004, 10:42 PM
4-1? I don't think so.

i was talking about 'backpressure' for midly street engines, not the 4-1 header, but for high revviing all motor drag cars do need 4-1 headers.

1988starter
02-29-2004, 09:20 PM
Stop throwing the word back pressure around you don't actually need any. Think of back pressure and exhaust velocity as 2 different plots on a graph the goal is to try to get as close to ZERO back pressure ZERO is ideal while maintaining the max exhaust velocity.

smufguy
03-01-2004, 04:04 AM
Stop throwing the word back pressure around you don't actually need any. Think of back pressure and exhaust velocity as 2 different plots on a graph the goal is to try to get as close to ZERO back pressure ZERO is ideal while maintaining the max exhaust velocity.

:confused: :rolleyes:

1988starter
03-01-2004, 05:14 AM
read this it may help
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=352

smufguy
03-01-2004, 06:35 AM
starter, i know it man. There is a reason i put the word BACKPRESSURE in caps. It was to quote Riced roach and explain f22a89accordLxi and jagojon3 in his own words the use of 4-1 headers, not in my words.

1988starter
03-01-2004, 06:58 AM
sorry man my bad I missed the ' '

smufguy
03-01-2004, 10:33 AM
sorry man my bad I missed the ' '

:tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :cheers:

lostforawhile
10-30-2006, 04:27 PM
OK I was cutting my cat off today and I ran out of time becuase i had to go to work so I didnt have time to bolt up the exhuast again. LOL it sounds like a TOP fuel dragster and it sounds a lot faster :)
yea I have a straight pipe with a cherry bomb,it sounds like that every day. thats plenty of back pressure if you run a full length pipe. just don't want to go too big on the pipe diameter. of course it was a lot louder for a little while until i fixed the exaust studs LOL but the fumes were killing me

lostforawhile
10-30-2006, 04:33 PM
Dont expect miracles from an exhaust system. I would say if you can gain 3-5% your doing extremely well. Headwork, cam and more compression is what makes a significant difference. Since majority of guys stick with stock stroke I'd say theres one of the biggest limitations.
I think with this exaust you gain a little more then with the better exausts on modern cars. back when these were made the term performance import wasn't very common. they were trying to make it quiet performance be dammed. in other words nobody cared if it strangled the motor. with modern cars they are a little more performance sensitive and the exausts are better designed. the factory exaust on this car sucked. pure and simple

Versanick
10-30-2006, 04:41 PM
give him props for having no exhaust. it's badass. however, you'll get very sick from NOX (when lean) and [all kinds of nasty stuff] when rich, fumes entering your car from underneath. When my carbd 86 had no exhaust (i was driving to the shop to get it put on), we drove 15 minutes ins top and go traffic and my friend and I were literally sick and dizzy for weeks. probably carbon monoxide poisoning. sick to stomach. it was awful.

good luck. and get a muffler on that thing.