PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Question and answers B20A/A20A hydrid

carotman
02-28-2004, 06:50 AM
I'm on the night shift this week and I got alot of spare time :o . I was thinking about the 1st gen Integra/3rd gen Accord tranny hybridation.

Phydeaux successfully installed a 1st gen Teg tranny on a "A" series engine using the Teg tranny case mated with the Accord bellhousing (was a little more than that but it boils down to this.)

Honda (and other manufacturers) are known to use the same parts in different vehicules (the proof is there with the teg tranny)

I was wondering if the B2K5/F2K5 from the B20A could be mated with another Honda transmission if we only use the B20A bellhousing.... If Honda did use the same design for 2 different cars, I guess we could be lucky and we got the same thing for the A20/B20.

Can someone that has access to a B20 and other trannies make a comparison? I do have a B20 tranny but the A20 is still in the car and it's in storage :)

Both transmissions use the same starter and (if a good starting point hehe).

IF my theory turns out to be true, all people would need to do is buy a belljousing from Honda and adapt a USDM tranny to the B20A. The hunt for the B20A manual transmission would be over.

So, is anyone willing to make the comparison?

Thanks for your time.

P.S.

BTW, a new bellhousing costs 241.74 from Honda (26,400 Yens) ... it's not cheap but do we have a choice?

carotman
02-28-2004, 07:06 AM
Ok, if you guys want to compare the tranny cases online. Here is a picture of what the B20A tranny case looks like:

http://carotman.no-ip.com:8888/3geez/b20a_transmission/clutch_housing.gif

http://carotman.no-ip.com:8888/3geez/b20a_transmission/transmission_housing.gif

Enjoy

carotman
02-28-2004, 07:09 AM
Well, it's fun replying to myself :)

It turns out that the A20A and B20A tranny cases aren't swapable.

Here is a picture of the A20A tranny case... obviously won't fit the B20A bell housing.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/catimgs/13SE00_B03.gif

carotman
02-28-2004, 07:17 AM
Well it turns out that the Teg tranny is also different from the A20A (if I look at the picture I got here.......

So how did you do the conversion Phydeaux. You only took the Teg internals with the Accord complete tranny case/housing?

88LXi68
02-28-2004, 08:03 AM
Well it turns out that the Teg tranny is also different from the A20A (if I look at the picture I got here.......

So how did you do the conversion Phydeaux. You only took the Teg internals with the Accord complete tranny case/housing?

If I remember correctly, thats exactly what he did.

RobT5580
02-28-2004, 08:35 AM
I have yet to see another honda tranny that compares to the B2k5 or F2k5. They seem to have a odd case atleast to me i have worked with a few newer B-series, H22, and H23.

PhydeauX
02-28-2004, 09:14 AM
The teg case and the accord case are just about identical. I wouldn't 100% trust the diagrams. there were some minor diferences, but the gaskests were the same on both ends. The only part you need from the a20a tranny to make it work on the a20a is the bell housing, everything else swaps from the teg, but you really can mix and match as much as you want. The transmissions are almost identical.

When I was measuring things up for the conversion I compaired part numbers of things like shift forks, bearings, and gaskets. I someone else had also already said that they were able to do this, but they just did a fart and run, not really sticking around to answer any questions about it. My research was more to make sure it wasn't bs and that I had all the parts I needed before I started since I only had a weekend to make it work. Sean also came up and donated an old dx tranny he had which helped alot because there were some diferences in the 85 prelude tranny and accord tranny that I wasn't aware of before I started.

andy

Gregg86DX
02-28-2004, 09:48 AM
This is a question I have been interested in for quite a while. I have my B2K5 in pieces right now so I can provide measurements and pictures. I also MAY have a lead on a B18 tranny that is blown, which I could tear down and play with. The tranny I am most interested in is a cable tranny from the JDM B16A1. This is a another B series from the late '80's so I would hope it is close.

Another approach to this problem is to use the entire tranny/bellhousing and figure out how to make it bolt to the B20A. That's what I would really like to try.

Gregg

RobT5580
02-28-2004, 10:02 AM
If your real handy you could always modify another tranny to fit but your talking about some serious work.

Versanick
02-28-2004, 01:57 PM
Rebuilding the b2k5 to hold more power will be easier if I can get my hands on b18a or b18b tranny parts. I'm wondering how different the f2k5/b2k5 is from the 90-93 teg cable tranny...

I'm working on getting mine off and I was looking maybe to just get a b18a tranny from an old accord/vigor, but I don't even know how well that will bolt up or fit. If possible, I'd like to rebuild mine with parts from a b18a tranny. New synchros and all, since third is grinding pretty well. And a turbo won't help reduce the grinding.

carotman
02-28-2004, 03:25 PM
Oops, I re-checked the JDM parts catalog that I have and it turns out that I was looking at the wrong integra transmission (seems that tey have different trannies for the same body. The carbed tranny was different). Phydeaux is right. the case is the same, only the bellhousing was different.

I would guess that the F2K5/B2K5 is closer to a ZC transmission or a "D" series

I compared them in the diagrams and they weren't that far apart but not sure if they would acutally fit.

Gregg86DX, I dunno if you have a tranny repuild shop near your place but I guess that if you bring the tranny case to them, they might be able to help you compare things

I compared the Teg and A20A parts and they all use "PC8" in their part number. The F2K5/B2K5 uses "PG1"

blownintegra
02-28-2004, 09:02 PM
I have the gear set that I am taking out of my CRX with the ZC motor and Integra trans to replace with the Accord taller gearing. With the turbo and the car's light weight, it just spins the tires in 1-3 in boost. Sounds great, but not going anywhere.

It is fun I admit to do a roll in first gear at about 20 or 25 and punch it and then the tires just spin...

So I am swapping the internals with the 3.86 Accord tranny for taller gearing.

So hopefully, I can cure my traction problem

I assume I have about 200+ flywheel horsepower at 11psi. This tranny is very stout for the power. I have had no problems...

I'm looking to unload the Integra gear set if anyone is interested.

My ad is in the classified section.

The gearing in this tranny is even closer than the B20A, according to the info I've read.

If the stuff swaps, then I'd use this stuff.

Oh well.