PDA

View Full Version : Crank Bolt - THE EASY WAY!! (manual trans)

dmulc
02-28-2004, 07:22 AM
I tried doing it the hard way and couldn't.

1. Use a 17mm socket on a breaker bar.
2. Put it on miserable crank bolt.
3. Put car in 5th gear.
4. Tow car backwards 5 feet with another car.

It worked for me. Hope it works for you.

RobT5580
02-28-2004, 08:29 AM
Or just use a impact gun and a little heat if needed. I have never had a problem with just a breaker bar and i think one time had to use a little heat (not much)

spoon611
02-28-2004, 09:24 AM
Or just use a impact gun and a little heat if needed. I have never had a problem with just a breaker bar and i think one time had to use a little heat (not much)
Don't waste your time on an impact gun that only puts out 300ft lbs. Need a big impact gun.

johnwc723
02-28-2004, 09:51 AM
i actually did it no problem be feeding some marine rope in to piston number one right before tdc, it couldnt get all the way to tdc and was just fine!! i also used some pb blaster too

Strugglebucket
02-29-2004, 04:55 AM
Impact gun? Ha! Did mine by hand with a big 'ol tire iron from an Explorer:)

riced_roach
02-29-2004, 08:43 AM
I tried doing it the hard way and couldn't.

1. Use a 17mm socket on a breaker bar.
2. Put it on miserable crank bolt.
3. Put car in 5th gear.
4. Tow car backwards 5 feet with another car.

It worked for me. Hope it works for you.

Brave man!!! impact gun has always worked for me 99% of the time. For stubborn ones there is a snapon airhammer gun with a socket adapter to vibrate the crank bolt. After the vibrations the bolt comes out easily.

IF YOUR IMPACT GUN ONLY HAS 300ft/lbs in reverse you must have a walmart junk special. If you look at majority of all 1/2 air gun specs they all have more torque in reverse. Alot of people just dont know that the gun isn't the only factor. Air volume going into the gun makes a huge difference and I'm not talking pressure (90+psi) I'm talking diameter of the air hose.