PDA

View Full Version : idle lower than usual

montman
02-28-2004, 11:59 AM
Yesterday when I started my car it started as usual, but after warming up the idle was lower than normal.
Usually the car idles kind of high - 1000 or higher if my foot is off the brake. (auto). and at least 1K or higher if I put it in park.

Well today, same deal, seemed normal until it warmed up and the idle dropped low again idling down the street about 700-750 or so. Also the car seeming to be stumbling a little bit, with the tach needle fluttering slightly.
Acceleration seems normal, just when i come to a stop its low. When I put it in park it goes up slightly almost 1K.

I did a visual check of all the hoses for a possible vacuum leak and didnt see anything out of the ordinary. Sprayed some carb cleaner too but no change.

Any ideas/help is appreciated.

86LXItooFAST4me
02-28-2004, 12:17 PM
when is the last time you did a tune up?

montman
02-28-2004, 03:43 PM
well I have done a few various things to tune it up here and there.

Plug wires look fairly new, fluids have mostly been changed, filters have all been changed by me.(besides fuel)

What would cause this in a basic tune up? anything you are getting at in particular?

thanks

86LXItooFAST4me
03-01-2004, 07:08 AM
what about plugs, cap and rotor?

86LXItooFAST4me
03-01-2004, 07:15 AM
im thinking it has something to do with your fire if those three things have been neglected, could be getting some bad spark or corrosion in your cap and on your rotor. pull your cap off and see if there is any corrosion and pull a plug out and see what condition it is in and what the gap is. let me know if this helped.

AkDale
03-02-2004, 05:32 PM
I just fixed mine----Took the carb off to uncap the mixture screw.
Put it back on-- started it---Same problem.
Turned the mixture screw out about 3-1/2 turns until the engine speed did not increase any more.
Lowered the idle with the throttle stop screw to 750 rpm.
Smoothe idle--great low, mid and high speed.
Problem solved!!!!
wHAT A WONDERFUL THING.

soljaboy2000
06-26-2004, 09:54 PM
Yesterday when I started my car it started as usual, but after warming up the idle was lower than normal.
Usually the car idles kind of high - 1000 or higher if my foot is off the brake. (auto). and at least 1K or higher if I put it in park.

Well today, same deal, seemed normal until it warmed up and the idle dropped low again idling down the street about 700-750 or so. Also the car seeming to be stumbling a little bit, with the tach needle fluttering slightly.
Acceleration seems normal, just when i come to a stop its low. When I put it in park it goes up slightly almost 1K.

I did a visual check of all the hoses for a possible vacuum leak and didnt see anything out of the ordinary. Sprayed some carb cleaner too but no change.

Any ideas/help is appreciated.

Just curious if you ever fix this problem??? And if so what was the casue?

accordlxi2.0
06-27-2004, 09:12 AM
that's where the idle should be, 750-650. in drive.
but you describe as stumbling.
hmmm, i say do cap, rotor, and if the wires are original, change em and clean the carb and adjust the a/f screw.

mr eff
06-27-2004, 12:30 PM
i had a similar problem, where the idle would blip from 500-800 rpms at stop, when in gear or in neutral. i'm fuel injected though, so i just used a can of carb cleaner to blast the throttle body. worked like a charm. hope this helps any FI folks out there who may be stumped.

chris

pixiesfan78
06-28-2004, 06:37 PM
yeh spray some carb cleaner in'check plug condition' replacewires'cap and rotor.maybe throttle stop screw osend up but not likely.probebly ignition related.