PDA

View Full Version : Strait Pipe or Glasspack?

k-roy
02-28-2004, 12:53 PM
Ok guys its time for my cat to go for once and for all. Currently it has a 1.5" hole drilled through the center but now I just want it gone. I want some opinions on what would be a better setup.

Should I replace the cat with a glasspack (Cherrybomb) or a strait pipe?

I could use the glasspack for a muffler, cut the stock muffler off and replace it with a 12" pipe and a tip. I have used cherry bombs a few times and the secret is tubing after the pipe to help keep a mellow sound. When you have it bolted to the header with a turndown at the other end is when they sound like ass, been there done that.

http://www.jegs.com/images/products/28924200_large.jpg

Or should I just replace the cat with a pipe and leave the stock muffler?

shepherd79
02-28-2004, 01:15 PM
i actually don't like the sound of glasspacks.
i think you should, replace the cat with straight pipe, cut off the resonator and use better muffler, like dynomax superturbo. it is nice a low, not like many fart cans.

Vinny
02-28-2004, 01:24 PM
I know when I redo mine I'm ordering a Magnaflow high flow cat (http://magnaflow.com/02product/converter02.htm) and using a Magnaflow 4" tube muffler (http://magnaflow.com/02product/ss02.htm) as a resonator. Then running stainless tubing with mandrel bends to a Ractive Muffler (http://www.performance-curve.com/exhaust/mufflers/ractive/ss_tip/mt615.htm) Just thought I'd brag LOL. If you don't want to use a tube muffler or glasspack in place of the cat and resonator you might want to look on ebay for a test pipe that just replaces where the cat went. It may be cheaper and more of what you are looking for

shepherd79
02-28-2004, 01:37 PM
i don't understand why are you guys spend so much on exhaust.
my total cost on my exhaust is $100 for headers (bought from a member a few years ago), stright pipe (came with headers), and dynomax super turbo muffler $50. it has all the hangers and crome tip.
all i have to do is weld.

Justin86
02-28-2004, 02:29 PM
I have 2.25 pipe with just a glass pack and at idle it has a nice rumble to it. Then when I open it up OMG look out it is loud and real its really loud. The first thing I did with my car was replace the cat with straight pipe, cut the muffler and just ran the stock resenator and that sounded sweet all the way through the power band. :)

k-roy
02-28-2004, 04:08 PM
After long thinking and talking with a friend I think for now I'll just get a strait pipe in there.
I should be getting a new muffler soon. I am thinking of this
http://www.jegs.com/images/products/28917702_large.jpg
http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=1275&prmenbr=361
Not a bad deal for $20 a pop. Back at the Jegs store they sell a ton of those. I have heard them a few times and I like them. A little later down the line I should be getting a header and a new carb to add more kick.

HondaBoy
02-28-2004, 04:29 PM
well as you said putting the glass pack up far and then running pipe out the back is good. the farther up the gp is, the better the sound! although, im not a fan of them for street use. they are noisy as you probley know. my friend finally put 2 of those red gp's on his 300ZX. it was so frickin loud with just headers! so when i heard it with gp's, it was a but more tolerable, but he just put them onto the header collector and didnt run any pipe out from them. i'd say strait pipe and a nice high flow muffler. personally i dont know what i'll do when i get a new exhaust system. probley put a high flow cat, no resinator, but a high flow muffler and Y it off for dual exhaust. i just like the looks of that.

riced_roach
02-29-2004, 08:47 AM
Noise does not equate to HP. High flow cat and Magnaflow muffler and your done.

HondaBoy
02-29-2004, 11:17 AM
yeah, a lot of guys i know think the louder your exhaust the more power. they always wonder why i want to go with a quiet exhaust and not a "fart can", or really a gloryfied glass pack! anyway, i was thinking about getting the Pacesetter cat back, but now i think i will get something custom done. i really want dual pipe look.

Vinny
03-01-2004, 01:21 PM
i don't understand why are you guys spend so much on exhaust.
my total cost on my exhaust is $100 for headers (bought from a member a few years ago), stright pipe (came with headers), and dynomax super turbo muffler $50. it has all the hangers and crome tip.
all i have to do is weld.

Because we can. Why am I willing to pay 400 or so bucks on an exhaust setup????? Because I can. I want All Stainless tubing and since I'm paying good money for it I might as well get mandrel bends too. If I'm getting stainless tubing that will outlast the car I might as well get a stainless muffler and cat too huh. I rarely by used stuff because people are usually selling it for a reason. Why did I just spend 600 bucks on SE-i Rear brake setup and all the parts to rebuild it???? Because I can. I wanted them so I bought them. I wanted them to last so I rebuilt them. I didn't want to hassle with them later so I bought parts with lifetime warranties. I'll buy new over used if I get a lifetime warranty any day of the week. If I'm going to do something I am going to do it right the first time so i don't have to do it again.

Why do you by second hand used stuff?

NXRacer
03-01-2004, 01:32 PM
ok vinny no need to rub it in that you are independantly wealthy and can buy whatever you want! :rolleyes:

my buddy redid an exhaust on a basically stock EF hatch and all he did was put 2 GP's in line, one about half way through the exhaust and another at the end. It sounded NICE. no loud farting noises, just a nice tone. Just another option to think about kroy.

I've been thinking about what i want to do with my exhaust. I know that i want my car to roar and hiss (i.e.turbo :) ) and not to fart (i.e. typical ricer). Still thinking about how i'm going to make it sound good.

mattalica
03-01-2004, 04:50 PM
...... i'd say strait pipe and a nice high flow muffler. personally i dont know what i'll do when i get a new exhaust system. probley put a high flow cat, no resinator, but a high flow muffler and Y it off for dual exhaust. i just like the looks of that.
Dude that is exactly what I have except mine isn't dual exhaust it a dual tip.And it's BULLET not MAGNAFLOW.My exhaust is loud cuz I didn't think about a resonator aI was all excited about the rest of it I forgot about that.It does sound really beefy though not all ricey.But it DAMN LOUD.I am going to get a gp just after the cat probably w/in the next month or so.BTW my exhaust is 2.25" from the header to a 3" flexpipe to a 2 1/4" cat inlet and 2 1/2" from cat back to a dual can 2 1/2" muffler.Click on the link in my sig if u want to see it.BTW it was $430 out the door. :cheers:

zerotap
03-02-2004, 03:43 AM
I got a fart can muffler with my car when I got it. I can't wait to change it out. I am thinking of doing a y exhaust as well with two duel exhaust.