PDA

View Full Version : springs vs. coilovers

tyne89
07-09-2002, 04:42 PM
im not sure which i should do and i just wanted to get some opinions

Jims 86LXI HB
07-09-2002, 05:47 PM
I really don't think one can say that one is better than the other. To do coilovers you really need to have several things in mind to go that way.
1. You plan on changing the lowered height after you've installed them. Be realistic and make sure you will really need this feature.
2. You want to guarantee that you can lower the front more so you can get the look you want. (Especially usefull if you've got a bunch of stereo stuff in the back and your front end is riding high, a coilover setup would let you fix that.)
Those are the 2 most common reason's I can think of off the top of my head. Now for me I can think of a couple more reasons.
4. You want to be able to install springs that are stiffer than what you can get from the lowering spring makers. Ground-Control lets your for a fee, get stiffer than usual springs for their coilovers.
5. You want more responsive springs that are NOT progressive, you want linear springs, that is what the Ground-Controls are.

And theirs the issue of $price. Ground-Control's are expensive but when ever someone ask's. "Whats the best coilovers to get", most offten the usual answer is Ground-Controls. And I've noticed that coilovers in general tend to me more sensitive to what struts your running. Just my 2 cents:)

dXsquared
07-10-2002, 02:41 PM
im gonna get coilovers for the coolness factor. one day you can scrape on every bump and the next you can ride taller than stock. i also have to worry about winter and snow so thats why i have ordered Ground Controls that will be here soon. I have had my car since last fall and have done lots to it but havent taken any pics! i will have to do that soon so i can get some suggestions from u guys!
Travis

:bow: "COILOVERS"

dXsquared
07-10-2002, 02:43 PM
off topic... how come some people got to keep their post numbers from the old forum and i didnt, i look like a beginer and i have been around since X MAS!!! WTF!!:wtf: :wtf: :werd: :burn: :mad:

Jims 86LXI HB
07-10-2002, 07:29 PM
I don't have any control over your post count. Send a PM to marc49

89AccordExi
07-12-2002, 11:09 AM
so when you get the ground controls, it is recommended that you also get new struts??

Jims 86LXI HB
07-12-2002, 07:06 PM
Oh yeah you need to get new struts, you'll hate how stock struts would feel. Ground-Controls pretty much require Koni's. And that's based on a few emails I've gotten from people that told me how unhappy they were while running tokico's.

DonnyG
07-16-2002, 01:13 PM
I have aerospeed coilovers from a civic. People on here told me they would fit just fine. I was wondering what kind of strut would work best with these???

Jims 86LXI HB
07-16-2002, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by DonnyG
I have aerospeed coilovers from a civic. People on here told me they would fit just fine. I was wondering what kind of strut would work best with these???

What would work best are koni specials.They are on the expensive side, but the strut makers out their don't offer struts that are valved as firm as the koni's. All coilovers and lowering springs are stiffer, you need struts that are likewise stiffer. Get it wrong and those struts won't be able to control the stiffer springs.Your car will bounce and if you climb out of your car and into someone that is running the right struts you will feel a word of difference. It's not about stiff as hell, it's about matching the springs. I'm not talking about racing koni's, you can't even get koni's sport model Just basic konis. If you wanted you could get away with front konis and rear tokico's since our cars seem to work ok with weaker struts in the rear.

89AccordExi
07-25-2002, 01:39 PM
any one know of any good alternatives to ground control coilovers they are craaazzzy expensive...???

dXsquared
07-25-2002, 03:27 PM
ricky racer has 99 dollar coilovers and speed and style.com has 130 dollar ones. those are the cheapest ive found
Travis:super:

Hoshizakido
07-25-2002, 09:02 PM
the problem with coil overs is they dont last that long and the ride is way way stiff

Jims 86LXI HB
07-25-2002, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Hoshizakido
the problem with coil overs is they dont last that long and the ride is way way stiff

I fully understand the stiffer part, after all, all lowering springs are stiffer. And it makes sense that since some people might run them really low, the makers will design in extra stiffness to reduce the chance that you'll bottom out.

But I've never ever heard anyone mention on any of the other forums I visit mention that coilover don't last that long. Could you explain where you heard this and what about them did you hear wears out?

Hoshizakido
07-26-2002, 12:11 PM
well i was at a local shop and i asked the guy that was there about coil overs. he had a 96 eclipse and started listing prices and then he showed me the coil overs he just pulled from his car. he had them for about a 6months and they started cracking and were completly destroyed. he then told me that if you were going to get coil overs the only way to go was a high price top of the line model coil over set. he then said unless you are going to need to switch the hight of your car on a day to day basis there is no reason to go there the trouble and put them on your car. he now sits on 2" lowering springs and he admits his ride is better and he wont have to replace somithing as much. he said he payed 600 for his coilovers and he said he payed 200 for springs. Thats why i said that was because someone that had them told me they are to much of a hassle.

Jims 86LXI HB
07-26-2002, 12:51 PM
Ok Hoshizakido, that you for the reply. You bring up some points about coilovers in general that I brought up in my very first reply to this thread, so I know where your comming from.