PDA

View Full Version : weber carb

skull1441
02-28-2004, 07:50 PM
will my car pass inspection if i install a weber carb??

shepherd79
02-29-2004, 06:15 AM
hell no, the weber is performace upgrade, and when ever you play with air/fuel the emissions get screwed big time. sorry to tell you but you can't pass emissions with weber. it is very hard pass.

riced_roach
02-29-2004, 08:31 AM
hell no, the weber is performace upgrade, and when ever you play with air/fuel the emissions get screwed big time. sorry to tell you but you can't pass emissions with weber. it is very hard pass.

absolutely incorrect. The fact is people dont know how to jet the carb properly. People tend to use too large idle and main jets which will obviously produce a/f ratios of 12:1 or even richer at idle or main cct. This is what fails idle tests. So basically if your fat at idle your more than likely going to fail load test since your car runs on the idle cct for at least aproximately upto 2700-3700rpm (depending on how the transition cct is engineered on the carb itself) RPM's higher than 3700 or so will go into the main cct so that will fail if your main jet is too big.

Dynos and 4 or 5 exhaust gas analysers are a man (some cases womans) best friend in the performance world. Not to mention wideband a/f meters (LM1 innovative, FJO etc) The fact is so many people are losing an easy 5-15hp just because they dont know what they're doing and are running real rich on both idle and main ccts.

Can you make a car pass with webers... HELL YA its called intelligent tuning. lean out the idle cct (not to the point of lean misfire) back the timing off a bit to reduce Oxides of nitrogen (NOX) and also reduce HC. Make sure the mains are not too rich either.

Remember theres no rules stating your not allowed to jet the car for "emissions purposes" then changing them after. Buy a wideband and your on your way to making more power.

skull1441
02-29-2004, 08:55 AM
thnx for the info guys.... i want to see more people agree with riced roach then hopefully ill have enoof courage to do the upgrade...... I NEED THE FREAKIN POWER !! but then i need to pass shitty inspection :/

A20A1
02-29-2004, 09:18 AM
Do you have a visual inspection?

PhydeauX
02-29-2004, 09:58 AM
You can tune it so its clean enough to pass the sniffer. But all of the factory emissions controls are removed so it technicaly will not pass. That said if you leave all the stuff on and the inspector doesn't really look that hard then you'll be fine. Or if you know of an unscrupulous station you may be able to throw in a 6 pack and get some stickers on it. I never had problems getting mine inspected, but then I took it to a friend's shop to get it done ;)

andy

skull1441
02-29-2004, 02:18 PM
they only do visual inspection of the car body, they dont look at the engine