PDA

View Full Version : Alternator Question

zerotap
02-29-2004, 01:22 AM
Ok guys how big of an alternator can we put into our car and who the hell makes em. I'm thinking around a 100 amp alternator cuz I plan on putting some amps and a sub for my stereo and I want to make sure there is plenty of power to run all the accesaries and have plenty to spare for other goodies in the future. Thanks.

k-roy
02-29-2004, 01:23 AM
Do you have a carb or pgmfi?
If you have pgmfi you are in luck, you can use a 4th gen alternator witch has a higher amperage rating.

riced_roach
02-29-2004, 08:11 AM
Depending on how extreme your going to go with a stereo system I'd suggest getting 1 farad capacitor for your battery to maintain a constant voltage. Then if your alt doesn't seem upto snuff then worry about a larger amperage rated alt.

dXsquared
02-29-2004, 08:51 AM
im throwing a 140 amp 1 wire alternator where the A/C compressor was... ill use it strictly to power my system... theres plenty of room for an alt, and theres already a belt going there... my uncle can make me a custom pulley to fit the AC belt... ill probably have the alt in by May or June...

Travis

88LXi68
02-29-2004, 08:54 AM
Also can use 90-93 Teg alternator.

zerotap
03-01-2004, 01:55 AM
I have carb'd.
Do you have a carb or pgmfi?
If you have pgmfi you are in luck, you can use a 4th gen alternator witch has a higher amperage rating.

zerotap
03-01-2004, 01:57 AM
Will that bolt right on? Will I need a bigger alternator belt ? In other words will any modifying need to be done ?

shepherd79
03-01-2004, 04:36 AM
you won't be able to use EFI alternator on carb car.
you can take your alternator and rewind it. take it to a shop that does that.

88LXi68
03-01-2004, 08:54 AM
www.4alterstart.com they do nice work

Bloodlust
03-01-2004, 10:15 AM
These also work very nice, I have one myself. Puts out mroe than you are asking for but hey it cant hurt: http://www.mean-green.com/products/alternator.html

HostileJava
03-01-2004, 10:29 AM

What's the output on that and is that a direct replacement? I already have a highoutput but im just curious.

smufguy
03-01-2004, 10:51 AM
The 90 - 93 integra alternators are only 70 Amps and for 130 bux is just not worth it. The 4th gen accord alternator, the one i have, puts out 80amps and its only around 75 bux while the stock 3g amp is like 55 i guess.

I have a thread in the Project section of the Performance section and u will find it there all the details.

The 4g alternator drops in and connects fine, but the bracket on top is different and u need a different belt. Once i get my hands on the belt number, im too lazy still, i will post the belt size to get for the 4g alt compatability.

zerotap
03-02-2004, 03:11 AM
Hey guys thanks for the input. Finally a place where I can buy a totally new alternator if I want to replace my stock one which is probably the original one. I'm gonna check out the mean greens one two but dayum 300% more power ? Where the hell does all that extra power go. I mean the battery can only store so much juice. And the car only needs so many amps to run all the goodies. That sure leaves a lot of power.

smufguy
03-02-2004, 08:32 AM
well the mean green is only for people who are pushing heavy audio and screens or lights and what not for their car which eats up a lot of juice. I wont recommend using any kinda High output alternator if u dont have any kinda stuff on the car which mgihe need the extra amp. Its cause the extra money you spend on it, is just not worth it.

Do know mean green and any other aftermarket amps are pretty expensive and i dont think they have a core charge either. So yeah. see what u can come up with and it should be alright.

soljaboy2000
03-02-2004, 11:00 AM
Just do a Dual Battery set up like Im doing for my sound system. You just need a deep cycle battery like an Optima or something and an isolator. Both batteries can be charged at the same time without overloading the stock alternator.

dill21831
03-07-2004, 12:50 AM
dual batterys aint going to do nothing about how much power your amps will be able to pull safely.......all that does is give you more time to play ur stereo with your car not running.........if you want to do anything, high amperage alternator and capacitor would be the way to go with a nice optima battery

zerotap
03-07-2004, 12:57 AM
I may just buy a new 65 amp alternator (the one in the car is the original so I am sure it's time for replacement soon ) and go with a 1 farad capacitor for the amps and sub and see how that goes. I'll keep you guys posted.