PDA

View Full Version : Oil Light?

meangreenLXi
02-29-2004, 09:46 AM
I recently added some engine restore to my engine oil. While driving the oil light comes on. I have leaks in the oil pan gasket and it definatly needs to be changed. I went to the honda dealer and ordered the oil pan gasket, o-ring and the tube that runs outta the oil pan. The tube was also leaking. I usually loose oil and it seems to leak out moderatly. Not a major leak but you know it's leaking more than a couple of drops. Well I added basically to much of the engine restore. Now when the oils heat up and expand that light comes on because it expands and turns on the engine oil light. Usually in four to five days the light will go off because the excess oil has either burned away or leaked out. Well now, since adding the engine restore. The light has been coming on for a week now. After the car heats up to normal operating temp the light flickers slowly and then it's finally stays on. As I check the dip stick it shows that there's more oil than I need in there, but usually the oil drips out and the light goes off. The car is leaking oil but everytime i check the dipstick it says i have way more oil than I need. It probably sounds stupid but could the dipstick be wrong? The reading is about a quarter inch above the upper dot on the dipstick and it has been there for about 6 or 7 days. I see oil leaking but I wanna make sure there is oil in the engine, because the light is on and I am leaking oil. The leaking oil should have been enough to make the light stop popping on, but it's still coming on :bs: :help:

shepherd79
02-29-2004, 09:55 AM
well, when was the last time you changed your oil filter?
the other thing that can cause that is oil pump. it is probably is on the way out. if it was giving you problems before i am going to say it is oil pump.

meangreenLXi
02-29-2004, 10:25 AM
I change the oil filter regular, it's a fram that last two oil changes or 6,000 mi. It only gave me the problems when I add extra oil. It's not common to pop on, the only other time it popped on is when I thought I leaked out alot of oil within the previous 2weeks, so I added a quart and as the oil heated up to normal operating temp the light comes on, so no it doesn't happen often.

HondaBoy
02-29-2004, 11:01 AM
y ou should really never add so much oil that it shows the level over the top dot of the dip stick. thats not too good man. i have an oil leak from my distributor, not bad but it usually needs some oil every 1 or 2 months. the key to being at a good level would be right in between the two dots on the dip stick. i used to think i had a problem or something. that was because i would check the level after the car had sat. you need to start it up, turn it off and check it. dont know if you do that, but it works for me. my oil light only came on when i took a sharp turn over 40 mph. i can imagine the oil went to the other side of the pan. hope you get that fixed!

riced_roach
02-29-2004, 11:29 AM
Pull the oil pressure switch out and put a mechanical oil pressure guage. Check to see what you get for oil pressure when cold. Then let it heat up to operating temperatures and see what you get.

I highly doubt your oil pump is going defective. You may be mistaking oil level problems instead of looking at a defective oil pressure sender or perhaps worn conrod and main bearings and actual low oil pressure.

meangreenLXi
02-29-2004, 12:11 PM
Yeah the two times I added to much, I really more or less "thought," since i'm leaking oil and it's been two weeks that I should add more. I never checked it before adding and I just put a whole quart in each time. What's strange is that it looks like it's dripping out more than a small leak, there's usually 4 main drops under the car and they drip like it's around the oil pan, the way the droplets are positioned, but it's dripping to where you know it's definatly got a leak somewhere, but the oil when i check it says that the levels are okay.

meangreenLXi
02-29-2004, 12:13 PM
yeah this past week I have been driving and then i'd find a level place and check the oil after driving for a short period of time. I've done this about 6 or 7 times(atleast once a day).

shepherd79
02-29-2004, 12:29 PM
never add oil without checking it first.

meangreenLXi
02-29-2004, 12:44 PM
Yeah, I've really learned my lesson this time, this is stressin me everytime that idiot light comes on, i'll remember not to just add next time, check first then add.

1988starter
02-29-2004, 02:35 PM
just drain a little out if it has too much in it

meangreenLXi
02-29-2004, 03:59 PM
yeah, i've been thinkin about that, but for some reason i'm thinking that i'm getting a false reading and i wanna make sure i got enough fluid in there.

1988starter
02-29-2004, 04:36 PM
I remember in the summer my car usto do that I used 5w-30 at the time. then I oneday got really fricken mad and dumped in a thing of stp 4 cly engine stuff I had around the house. the oil thickned up and it ran fine? I used it till I switched to 3 quarts 5w30 and one lucas

cruznz
02-29-2004, 07:37 PM
Pull the oil pressure switch out and put a mechanical oil pressure guage. Check to see what you get for oil pressure when cold. Then let it heat up to operating temperatures and see what you get.

I highly doubt your oil pump is going defective. You may be mistaking oil level problems instead of looking at a defective oil pressure sender or perhaps worn conrod and main bearings and actual low oil pressure.

I would do as riced has suggested and check your oil pressure with a mechanical gauge........some studies have shown that certain oil additives are prone to blocking/restricting oil galleries in older engines resulting in low oil pressure....food for thought

johnwc723
02-29-2004, 09:19 PM
i would say most likely drain all you oil out of your engine, add a new (good) filter and fill it up the reccomended amount!!! add oil as needed dont add to much its terrible for the engine, performance and makes the oil very dirty very quick!

meangreenLXi
03-01-2004, 04:24 AM
I've used the Zmax every 3 oil changes and during the other two changes I use the engine restore stuff. I mean it's been fine all the way up to this point, I just believe I added to much this time out. I'm going to drain it out today though, it's warm enough out todo it but i'm just sorta angry because I'm about 600 miles short of changing it all anyways and i'm on a good number, next change was scheduled at 153000 exactly.

meangreenLXi
03-01-2004, 07:28 PM
I was trying to avoid taking the oil out and then having to replace it or put the old oil back in because in a week or two or three, I'm going to have my mechanic change the oil pan gasket, tube and O-ring. Well I was able to drain enough to make the light stop coming on and I didn't have to totally drain the engine oil as I first thought would be the case.