PDA

View Full Version : Slow electrical drain

FrankD
07-09-2002, 06:31 PM
Can anyone tell me what the twin relays are for that are mounted directly in front of windshield washer filler tube. They seem to be partly energized all the time causing about a half amp drain. Electrical is partly dismantled so I can't test everything to see what they control. I know there not horn relays cause that worked with the relays removed. Battery was dead after car sat for 3 days.Frank

Lester Lugnut
07-09-2002, 07:27 PM
Frank - post yr/model/fi/carb/etc. Might help if we know what shop manual to query first. I popped the hood on my '87 Carb Accord Lx-automatic and see no relay in front of the windshield filler tube. By in front I mean going towards the front bumper. I see what might be a relay bolted to the left of the tube facing the car from the front.

I suppose you've already pulled the battery ground strap and connected a 12 volt test light - clip end of light to the battery cable and and someone holding the prong end on the batteries neg. post. On older cars, if it lights up, you may have amperage drain. Then again, if you have an alarm/clock, this approach may not fly. You'd need to use the amp scale on a Voltage-ohm meter and know the current draw of the alarm/clock, etc.

If you don't have an alarm, the test light approach might help. After it's hooked up a described above, start pulling fuses. If the light on the tester goes out, you found the circuit that's drawing current.

I'm not sure how a relay could be hot all the time, but then again, I'm not an electrical genius.

FrankD
07-10-2002, 05:09 AM
Sorry...Its an 89 Carb, 2 five pin relays side by side right between the rad and the passenger side retractable light. They don't look like relays because there rubber covered. They are about 1inch X 1inch
Frank

FrankD
07-10-2002, 05:23 AM
I just asked a Honda Tech and he thinks they are the Retractable headlight relays. Weird thing is I already pulled those fuses out of the engine compartment fuse box to disable them. I suspect the circuit is trying to retract them. I'll try disconnecting the interior dash switch.
Frank

Lester Lugnut
07-10-2002, 05:58 AM
Frank - looked in my '87 Factory shop manual last night. Originally you made mention of the relays proximity to the washer reservoir. In my case that's on the drivers side. Perhaps it's opposite in your case.

The '87 book shows two twin relays connected together in the area you describe. This relay according to the book is the retractable headlight relay as the tech mentioned to you.

If you want, I'll post the procedure for testing this relay when I get home later tonight. There's a simple procedure documented in the shop manual. I realize this test doesn't account for current drain, but.....

FrankD
07-10-2002, 12:27 PM
Thanks for confirming the circuit Lester. I'm going to just disable the complete retractable circuit. Looks a little dorky with the lights up but I'd rather spare the wiring.
Frank