PDA

View Full Version : so what is the best oil filter?

johnwc723
02-29-2004, 11:52 AM
i never really put too much thought to oil filters i have always just gotten the fram PTFE ones (not gonna anymore i have learned that PTFE is bad!), but somone mentioned oil filters in a post i just read and it got me to thinkin, are all created equal or is there a distinct better one?!

meangreenLXi
02-29-2004, 12:36 PM
I would think between the k&n and the honda oem, the oem is made for the car and the k and n is a performance filter. Only thing I can see is that the k and n is the better one because it is designed to give better than OEM performance.

johnwc723
02-29-2004, 12:52 PM
now when someone says performance in an oil filter they are talking about how much it filters out right ? :) maybe ill just get honda oem or k&n (if i can find it) next time

shepherd79
02-29-2004, 12:59 PM
NON OF THE ABOVE. the best oil filter in my opinion is mobil 1 or Bosch. you will pay premium for them but they will last 7000 miles with no problem.

86LXItooFAST4me
02-29-2004, 01:00 PM
all i know is that fram is the worst

johnwc723
02-29-2004, 01:31 PM
damn i should have put an other up there too :( i thought fram was descent! i mean all they make is filters, you think they would be able to do a good job at it right? hmm still which one should i get for my next oil change....

k-roy
02-29-2004, 01:54 PM
The fram is crap. The Fram X2 is decent, I have used it before.
Currently I use the K&N with full synthetic fluid, I change it every 5,000 miles and the oil still looks purple. I have never used the OEM filter, I bet its just as expensive as the K&N. K&N has never let me down. The napa gold and the Bosch are crap too.

johnwc723
02-29-2004, 02:23 PM
my oil became black at about .75k miles with my fram filter.... dam it i have heard that synthetic isnt too good for our engines tho? (also that if you use it you can never go back to non-synthetic)

1988starter
02-29-2004, 02:44 PM
I use a pure one filter change it about 3k miles. No matter what filter I use it is changed about every 3K miles

k-roy
02-29-2004, 02:50 PM
my oil became black at about .75k miles with my fram filter.... dam it i have heard that synthetic isnt too good for our engines tho? (also that if you use it you can never go back to non-synthetic)

Thats an urban myth.
Here are a few facts. Any engine will benifit from better oiling, less friction and cooler temperatures that synthetics offer. Its not always a good idea to use full synthetic on a higher milage engine. Some of the old seals like on the oil pan and valve cover could start to leak. I have 30,000 miles on a complete rebuild. I have used synthetic since day one and all my seals are in good shape.

PhydeauX
02-29-2004, 04:01 PM
You know THIS (http://www.bypassfilter.com/MotorGuardFilters.htm) is the filter you want. And I though I was cheap using supertech filters :x. Actually they are supposed to be really good at filtering the crap out of oil, actually filters ona sub micronic level. Still its using a roll of tp as a filter element which I childishly find hilarious. I am cornholio, I need tp for my... oil filter.

andy

Brettmans5
02-29-2004, 04:29 PM
pureone, i used them in every car i owned and they have never failed me. I used a KIX or WIX or whatever from napa for a friends oil change one time, i advised against it but he bought it anyway, in 2 weeks it was leaking, tried everything to get it to stop, nothing, i poped it out slapped a pureone in .....didn't leak at all. You get what you pay for. buy a 2 dollar filter expect leaks and crappy dirt oil.

johnwc723
02-29-2004, 04:47 PM
yeah i guess thats what i heard about full synthetics, they are bad for engines with alot of miles, so you guys would prolly reccomend that i use MAXLIFE then most likely (i got 143k)? hmmm damn i guess fram is real shitty, i guess ill have to go with K&N or pure one hmmm.

johnwc723
02-29-2004, 04:52 PM
oohh by the way the guy in this http://www.bypassfilter.com/MotorGuardFilters.htm link is saying that toilet paper filters are better than anyhting else.... hmm

1988starter
02-29-2004, 06:13 PM
yeah i guess thats what i heard about full synthetics, they are bad for engines with alot of miles, so you guys would prolly reccomend that i use MAXLIFE then most likely (i got 143k)? hmmm damn i guess fram is real shitty, i guess ill have to go with K&N or pure one hmmm.

honda OEM filters are made by fram

PortugalFocus
02-29-2004, 06:22 PM
Wicks best hands down... I have a dealership with 8 techs that say so........ but it's just my opinion.

johnwc723
02-29-2004, 09:30 PM
hmm havent heard of wicks before you but ill check them out too! i want an oil filter that dosent turn my oil black after 750 mi!

Blue Impact
03-01-2004, 01:22 AM
I use Fram with Pennzoil 10W-30 and the combination is okay in my opinion. I try changing the oil every 3K or so miles.

86LXItooFAST4me
03-01-2004, 06:47 AM
i use wix alot but i think im going to change to k&n

Busted_Blue
03-01-2004, 10:54 AM
I use Fram with Castrol High Mileage 5W-30 Oil.

AccordEpicenter
03-02-2004, 07:18 PM
its a proven fact that the oem honda filters had more filter area inside them then any other filter, but now they switched to a small style filter

MIK3
03-02-2004, 09:01 PM
So how about price ranges for all of the above filters? I'm guessing more are more expensive than others. I want to start expirementing between all of them, being that I change my oil every 3 months, not 3 thousand miles.

HondaBoy
03-02-2004, 09:07 PM
i'd say good old Honda brand filters are best. although i dont use them as of now, i use fram sure grip. works good for me. i may go with a real Honda filter in the future though. i know Wix are great ones too! those are one of the best for filtering the oil.

TWOLOUDNPROUD
03-02-2004, 09:09 PM
Mobile 1 Synthetic All the way

Keachman1
05-07-2004, 07:03 PM
I use Mobil 1 filters due the synthetic filter media and its ability to filter down to 10 microns. A normal off the shelf filter will only go down to 30-40 microns.

I also use Royal Purple 10W30 and have an extended drain schedule for my oil. I leave the oil in for 12,000 miles and then change it.

This is based on oil analysis done on the oil every 4,000 miles since I have access to an oil lab.

After 12,000 miles, the small particles, 2 to 5 microns are getting pretty high and the viscosity is starting to drop so I change it then.

This is based on my particular engine and other engines will be different. Some may last longer and some may get less if the engine is in poor shape. My engine has 276,000 miles and runs like new with no oil leaks and no smoke.

The extended oil drain schedule with synthetic oil comes out as the same cost as using regular oil on 3000 mile changes plus you have the extra protection of the high film strength of the synthetic oil. Just my 2 cents worth.

Justin86
05-07-2004, 10:04 PM
I just use K&N. :)

Ducati
05-07-2004, 10:28 PM
I use Mobil 1 filters due the synthetic filter media and its ability to filter down to 10 microns. A normal off the shelf filter will only go down to 30-40 microns.

I also use Royal Purple 10W30 and have an extended drain schedule for my oil. I leave the oil in for 12,000 miles and then change it.

This is based on oil analysis done on the oil every 4,000 miles since I have access to an oil lab.

After 12,000 miles, the small particles, 2 to 5 microns are getting pretty high and the viscosity is starting to drop so I change it then.

This is based on my particular engine and other engines will be different. Some may last longer and some may get less if the engine is in poor shape. My engine has 276,000 miles and runs like new with no oil leaks and no smoke.

The extended oil drain schedule with synthetic oil comes out as the same cost as using regular oil on 3000 mile changes plus you have the extra protection of the high film strength of the synthetic oil. Just my 2 cents worth.
Interesting and informative. I use Mobil 1 Delvac in my diesel and have for years. Oil analysis has shown nearly no wear elements in almost a decade.

However I will be switching to Mobil 1 or whatever else works best in the old lady's Accord. Ergo, my presence on this forum. The Honda does not have the Amsoil dual filter setup that my Mercedes has, so I am back to the drawing board.

I have read great things about the K&N filters, thats why I voted for them...but it was an ignorant uninformed vote perhaps.
Where does one get Mobil 1 filters?

HostileJava
05-08-2004, 05:52 AM
Haha, If anyone wants a rapid testing of all the filters let me know. I change my oil every 3weeks which is about the same as every 3k miles :( I can let you all know. Normally I've been using the K&N's with no problem.

Ducati
05-08-2004, 12:08 PM
I think I am going to look into whether or not Amsoil has a dual filter system for the Accord, as the old lady doesn't exactly observe her maintenance schedules. I will be responsible for all that, and if I ger preoccupied with my own 2 cars & 2 bikes, I wont be paying too close attention to her car, either.

With regard to oil, I read the post where some concern was raised about full synth being a waste of money and actually harmful for this engine. I would like to find more technical reasoning for that opinon.
Synth flows to the head faster at start up, and holds particulates in suspension far better than dinosaur juice.
However many years ago I heard some old flat-earth proponent tell me that synth made the crank skip or some such strange explanation. (I think he had been in the paint booth without a respirator a little too long)
What is the collective opinion of this august body of Honda cognoscenti?

ChaseR
05-12-2004, 12:54 AM
I use the Fram X2 filter with Valvoline 20w50 Race blend oil, it is still nice and semi clear after 1500 miles of running it into the ground...

cspeed
05-13-2004, 01:01 PM
wix filters are very common filters. they make filters for many companies, but they are the best. on the options, napa gold filters are wix filters. just for your records.

Mike's89AccordLX
05-13-2004, 01:17 PM
I use Napa Gold filters. Most people don't know that many of the filters are the same just and different wrapper. As cspeed stated above. I also learned this in my first semester in my mechanics course. The best way to tell is to cut the filters apart and see what's inside. No matter what your filter or oil says on the label. You need to consult with your owners manual about what type of driving condition you live in. If you live in a severe condition like me you need to change your oil and filter every 3,000 miles or 3 months. I would suggest doing that even if you live in normal conditions just because it's better for the car.

Always fill up the oil filter before putting it on too. Most engine damage is caused during start-ups after an oil change b/c the person did not fill the oil filter.

-Mike