PDA

View Full Version : How to set springs ?

zerotap
03-01-2004, 02:10 AM
Ok so in a couple weeks I'm gonna be replacing the OEM struts and cut springs with some stockies till I can start to make heads and tells with what struts work good with aftermarket springs and Coil Overs. My question is what is proper setting for rear stock sprins,with stock struts, and no lowering. Same thing for front struts and springs. How do you set the spring compressor. I'm picking a spring compressor up this week. Picking up the struts and springs next week. Thanks. I've got the Haynes and it isn't giving what to set the springs at unless I am looking in the wrong place. I'm also picking up a Chilton's this week as well.

AZmike
03-01-2004, 05:04 PM
What setting are you talking about? Stock springs and stock shocks have no settings. You compress the spring enough to remove the nut on the damper shaft then remove the springs compressor. Make sure that the ground end of the spring goes toward the upper mount and the other end goes to the perch on the shock body when replacing the springs.

zerotap
03-02-2004, 03:47 AM
Cool thanks Mike. That clears a lot of things up. I was just reading through several threads and I kept hearing springs settings. I now assume that those are for afermarket springs. Thanks.
What setting are you talking about? Stock springs and stock shocks have no settings. You compress the spring enough to remove the nut on the damper shaft then remove the springs compressor. Make sure that the ground end of the spring goes toward the upper mount and the other end goes to the perch on the shock body when replacing the springs.