PDA

View Full Version : valve float at 5000rpm?

86LXItooFAST4me
03-01-2004, 07:45 AM
the other day i was in rush our and i was pullin a bitch under an over pass and i was waitin for an opening and when it came it was a tight one so i had to get on it and i was in 2nd (again i was "gettin on it") and at about 5000rpm i felt a power lose like i had some valve float, anyone ever had this happen to them? after it happened it didnt happen again and ive been slammin through gears all the way up to 6 and its fine now, but im still alittle cuncerned. any ideas?

riced_roach
03-01-2004, 09:37 AM
You have no pushrods so there alone is less weight on the valvetrain. 5000rpm valve float...I highly doubt it.

slipping clutch?

86LXItooFAST4me
03-01-2004, 09:45 AM
it wasnt my clutch, i know what that feals like and i looked down at my rpm when it happened and it droped about 500 rpm, if it was my clutch they would have increased dont you think? i dont know if it was exactly valve float, thats just what it felt like to give a description.

"i felt a power lose like i had some valve float" key word: LIKE

mattalica
03-02-2004, 10:03 AM
Dude my car does the same thing all the time!When I get to about 5000-5200 range its like it backs out or like it's rev limiting or something!I don't have a rev limiter.It is very annoying.Tinboat said for me to claen my fuel pump screen and someone else said fuel filter.I replaced the filter but not the screen,yet.However I did have the original cat on my car til about a month ago and when I got that replaced w/ a new bigger one it helped but did not cure the problem.Also My timing is advanced a few degrees and my EGR is bad(Somewhere in the EGR system is bad)still trying to track that one down.I think it might be my EGR control solenoid but...Anyway these are a few things to check on before the valve float thing.Matt

TINBOAT
03-02-2004, 10:28 AM
Takes about 15 minutes to pull the pump and check the screen, and well worth it!!
This TOTALLY eliminated all my fuel starvation problems..and yes, this little screen plugging up will feel like valve float, plugged fuel filter, bad distributor, poor cam timing, broke down plug wires..etc,etc.etc....

Justin86
03-02-2004, 11:12 AM
damn that is really weird cause you should have that prob until about 7,000. Um maybe the springs are going bad, your valve gaps are way off?

PhydeauX
03-02-2004, 11:14 AM
Someone, problaby sean, will correct me if I'm wrong but I think you dont start to run into valve float issues untill start to approach 7500rpm.

andy

Vinny
03-02-2004, 11:23 AM
Andy, I was going to say the same thing yesterday and I lost the post somehow. Your number sounds right. When I saw this yesterday I was thinkin "ain't no fackin way your valves are floating at 5500rpms" For those of you who don't know what valve float is.........At higher RPM's the valves don't have time to fully close. The cure is to take a weight off the valves and retainers. That helps the spring close the valve fully.

TINBOAT
03-02-2004, 01:00 PM
Andy, I was going to say the same thing yesterday and I lost the post somehow. Your number sounds right. When I saw this yesterday I was thinkin "ain't no fackin way your valves are floating at 5500rpms" For those of you who don't know what valve float is.........At higher RPM's the valves don't have time to fully close. The cure is to take a weight off the valves and retainers. That helps the spring close the valve fully.

...or stronger springs, or multiple spring sets (double or triple), But I've not heard of it on Honda's.

The down side to this mod is how hard it is on the seats, and valves (ever seen a 'tulipped' valve?).

Justin86
03-02-2004, 01:29 PM
well I haven't seen a tulipped valve but I could get a good idea of it. Too bad we couldn't get the springs of a S200 or another high reving honda to swap on the A20 head. Also if you get titianium valve with stronger valves that should help to reduce deformation.

Vinny
03-02-2004, 04:12 PM
certain people here have aluminum valve spring retainers....problem solved for them

Justin86
03-03-2004, 08:21 PM
yea that works for me. :)

87accordlxph
03-06-2004, 02:21 PM
Try buying higher octane gas. Maybe your detonating?

-Mike from Sarnia!

86LXItooFAST4me
03-07-2004, 03:49 PM
well i found out what the problem was and i had just put an adjustable fuel reg. and i had it too rich, to much gas. i backed it down about 3 lbs and it runs great now!