PDA

View Full Version : Questions about vacuum leaks!!!??? HELP

Dennis
03-01-2004, 07:56 AM
OK I've got a bad vacuum leak and it's been bothering the hell out of me since i bought my car in december. anyways, the next step on fixing my honda is the vacuum leak. this has got to be done soon because i wont do anything else to it until i get the leak fixed. how much does it usually cost to get it fixed? what could i do to save money? is there anything i can do? what should i look for? obviously i'm pretty lost when it comes to a vacuum leak as this is the first time i've ever heard of it. so any help would be appreciated.

shepherd79
03-01-2004, 09:58 AM
well, to save money you can find and fix the leak yourself.
start with obvious, the sensors. check connections at each sensors. make sure they are tight and don't have any cuts. sometimes the plastic tip can break and that is how you get the vacuum leak.
if sensors checks out fine start checking the lines.
sometimes it will take a long time to find a leak, but it is worth it.

Dennis
03-01-2004, 12:34 PM
what hoses should i be looking at? as you can probably tell i don't know what im talking about so a picture of what to look for would be a good start. all i know is that there is a bunch of hoses and i don't know where to start looking.

shepherd79
03-01-2004, 12:52 PM
start looking at every single hose. if you don't know what you are looking at you may want to take it to Honda sertified mechanic.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
03-01-2004, 02:21 PM
A common way of finding vacuum leaks, is using carburator cleaner. With the engine on, you spray the cleaner on various connection and hoses. If there is a leak, once the cleaner hits it, it will temporarily seal up and you will notice a difference in the engine working.

Hope this helps.

Dennis
03-12-2004, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm going to go try to fix this leak right now... or atleast find the motherfucker.

joebeets
03-12-2004, 05:34 PM
Or get a Mity-vac, the VOM for vacuum. But what makes you think you have a vacuum leak?