PDA

View Full Version : Equalizer?

MrBen
03-01-2004, 10:54 AM
I have a Sony Xplod (yeah I know, I got it off of a friend for cheap) deck and new Pioneer speakers and a new JL sub. I don't have subwoofer controls or anything of the sort... just bass controls. Right now I am having issues with the bass. To get bass out of my sub that I like, I have to turn off the bass out of my speakers so I don't blow them, but then it sounds as if the sound is coming out of the rear speakers even though it is coming out of the front also. I guess what I am saying is it is not loud enough (inside speakers). Should I turn the gain down on my sub? Would getting an external equalizer be okay, or should I just buy a new deck with subwoofer controls?

meangreenLXi
03-01-2004, 11:17 AM
For the front speakers you could get the bass blocker capacitors. Or you could equalize your music before recording it. Depending on what type of player you have. I have a mp3, if you have a cd player you may be able to bootleg your cd's and either remove the bass or add more so it's able to be played in your system. The gain on the amp I'd have at about 75% anything more and your adding distortion unless you got an Alpine amp.

Vinny
03-01-2004, 11:33 AM
the choice is upto you on that one Ben. If you like the head unit, no matter how cheap it may be, than just get an EQ. An eq gives you alot more flexibility over the standard sub output on a head unit. I think I have a digital clarion pro audio EQ in the garage that may or may not need th power plug. I think the parts like 10-20 bucks from clarion. I may be willing to get rid of it if you decide to go the eq route

MrBen
03-01-2004, 11:34 AM
I heard the bass blockers make the speakers sound weird. Don't really wanna get into a temporary solution-- it is sounding to me like I should just spend the money and buy a new deck. Makes sense--- I paid the cash for everything else.

HostileJava
03-01-2004, 11:51 AM
Are the speakers hooked up to an amp? If so alot of amps have built in crossovers, so u should be able to turn the lower frequencies off that u don't want playing threw ur front speakers. If they don't have crossovers you can pick them up at a car audio place and put them in parallel with your speakers. But remember crossovers cause resistance and eat up power so u don't want to be using them if the only thing power your front speakers is your HU. Ideally all your speakers should have some type of crossover, either controlled by the HU, the amp, or a stand alone. That way you can tune the frequency that are playing on each speaker or set of speakers.

MrBen
03-01-2004, 12:02 PM
No amp to the front or rear speakers. Just getting straight power and "equalizing" from the deck. If I got a new deck with an equalizer (for the speakers inside and then the sub?) do you think that would remedy my situation? I am just going to for the cost effective, yet long term money spending. What deck would you suggest, if so? Buying bass blockers is like fixing a symptom, not the problem IMO.

HostileJava
03-01-2004, 12:41 PM
The equalizer is like a sophisticated crossover, it allows you to remove or amplify certian frequency ranges. I would still suggest crossovers for all your speakers when you move up to amps powering everything simply because they can be "set and forget" to block certian freqency above or below that you don't want being sent to the speakers. For instance blocking everthing going to the subs above 60Hz or and blocking anything below 60hz going to the speakers. you can still use the equalizer to fine tune the system but the crossovers give u a failsafe, blocking frequencies you never want sent to the speakers. If your looking to replace the head unit I'd recommend one similar to the one I have(Pioneer Premier DEH-P740MP). It has 3 preouts and can also power 4 speakers. It has a built in digital low pass filter and high pass filter(not very adjustable, but gets the job done), a built in equlizer, which when placed in advance mode is very good, and it plays CD, MP3, AM, FM, and XM if you get the reciever.

meangreenLXi
03-01-2004, 07:25 PM
No pun intended, but you got the ghetto accord so i was just giving the ghetto remedy to the situation. The bass blockers remove the bass, but alot of the mids seem to be taken out also. I have sony 3way 6X9's in back and the front door panel speakers are some crap I got from Radio Shack because I didn't think it'd make a difference, but it does, it could just be my crappy front speakers. My head unit is a sony and I Had(before it was stolen last fall) a Alpine amp with Alpine 12" subs with a digital capacitor and the bass came out so clear and would rumble on the lows. The mids and highs were there because I have a mini disc changer and not much sound quality was lost. My crappy fronts didn't really make a difference, but they were the weak link to my system as you thread has now knowledged me to this fact.

MrBen
03-01-2004, 08:15 PM
I just want to save my speakers. They can handle the bass but I prefer it coming from the sub.

zero.counter
03-01-2004, 08:18 PM
Ahem....tap, tap, tap...

MrBen
03-01-2004, 08:20 PM
Yeah if you're wondering the whole thing was brought up because of your equalizer.

zero.counter
03-01-2004, 08:23 PM
Yeah if you're wondering the whole thing was brought up because of your equalizer.
....:cheers:....