PDA

View Full Version : American

cdixon311
03-01-2004, 11:49 AM
You know I'm really surprised noones put a v8 in thier car yet. Do I have to be the first? Ok here's the idea: gonna take a small v8 (302 or smaller) and supercharge it with one of those mini-superchargers that all fit without modifying the hood. Of course a new rear end is going to be required, not sure from what just yet, but hopefully I can make it four wheel drive.

Coitis1
03-01-2004, 11:56 AM
it hasn't been done b/c the engine will be too big. You could make it fit w/ enough money, but if anyone on this board had that much money, i doubt they would still be driving a 16 year old accord. If u are gonna do it, good luck, post pictures.

Cyric_accord
03-01-2004, 12:10 PM
you're going to try to fit a 302 cubic inch engine made for a completely diferent series of cars into an engine bay that barely held 112 cubic inches(1955 cc)? I find that hard to believe, but good luck.

cdixon311
03-01-2004, 12:16 PM
yeah thats basically the idea. but chances are im going to get a smaller v8, the smallest I can find. And you have to keep in mind that I will be freeing up space inside the engine bay by making the car rear wheel drive.

NXRacer
03-01-2004, 12:25 PM
hey, if they put a 350 in a 4th gen accord, it shouldnt be much harder to put a 302 in a 3rd gen. You just gotta think outside the box and have a LOT of money to throw around.

mattalica
03-01-2004, 12:38 PM
Dude fuck a 302 get a small block 350 and mount it in the reaer over the rear axle!The fabrication will be about the same w/ no cutting in thru the fire wall.All u really need as far as that goes is a wall between the driver and the engine.A shett of .063" aluminum should do the trick.Oh wait do u have a coupe or sedan?If u have a hatchback no problem.The rear axle of a z24 should fit w/ some body mods or just use the standard Ford 9" rear end.Your also gonna need bigger brakes and a tranny.Any auto trans is prbably gonna be to big but a Chevy 3 speed stick from an older siverado should work plus they are geared for 350 w/ a shit load of torque!And now that we are talking about torque u will DEFINATELY need to reinforce the Accords frame or u will twist it in half.I put a small block in a pinto back in High school w/ some friends there was alot of cutting and welding but we got it done and if it had wings it wouldv've flown.Anyway...go for it but there is alot more to it than just making it fit!Matt

BensAccordLxi
03-01-2004, 12:54 PM
How do you plan on keeping the car from twisting the uniframe? I put a 350 in a 78 Celica and twisted the frame the first time I hit the gas. I'd go with the rear engine idea. I saw a CRX with and NSX motor in the rear. That's the way to go.

mattalica
03-01-2004, 01:06 PM
The rear engine mount will help alot w/ that becuz the torque isn't being sent all the way front to back but some 1 1/2" or bigger steel across the under side of the car in an X w/ a ladder will reinforce any frame uniweld or not.Also adding the same X to the pillars between the front and back seats will add even more strength.

PhydeauX
03-01-2004, 02:07 PM
Get one of those assemble your self dragster chassis from jegs or what ever and built it with the accord body on top of it. The chassis are under $1000 and you cut and paste to make it what ever you want. Just make sure to have the thing welded by a professional.

andy

cdixon311
03-01-2004, 05:27 PM
hmmmm, or maybe spend next to shit, get something that came w/350 stock, get better v8, supercharge the hell out of it, lighten it, etc., slap a turbo on the accord to use for daily driving. It's going to cost too much to drive as fast as I want in the accord. But you got to admit it would be different, and a foreign car w/american power. That means parts are cheaper, so I'd spend less on maintenance, but with the amount I'd have to spend to strenghten the frame and get a v8 in my accord, I might as well just get another car.

Project-LXi
03-08-2004, 12:26 AM
If you have a lot of money consider doing a mid-engine 347 stroker, made from a 302. not sure exactly whats involved but I always here the ford guys talking about that setup.