PDA

View Full Version : no fuel issue

honda-ski-86
03-01-2004, 01:29 PM
Hey
i am experience no fuel from my 86 accord fuelie. it has spark and everything else, just no fuel, i already changed the main relay, now that is clicking on, but fuel pump is not turning on when i am turning the ignition on. any help on common problems?? this is my first honda so let me know just got it not too long ago either!
thanks

cruznz
03-01-2004, 02:01 PM
if power is getting to the fuel pump, then suspect a faulty pump

honda-ski-86
03-01-2004, 11:53 PM
hey pete, tomorrow im going to check and see if its getting power, hopefully and then i can just change the pump no big deal, checked out how and what a joke on a honda to change the fuel pump. someone had their thinking cap on when they designed the car.

k-roy
03-02-2004, 12:02 AM
hey pete, tomorrow im going to check and see if its getting power, hopefully and then i can just change the pump no big deal, checked out how and what a joke on a honda to change the fuel pump. someone had their thinking cap on when they designed the car.
What you talkin bout willis? j/k
I swapped out mine in 15 minutes.

cruznz
03-02-2004, 12:03 AM
hahah...yeh typical...good luck with the pump..keep us informed

honda-ski-86
03-04-2004, 07:36 PM
Ok, so i made sure the fuel pump worked, it does, ran direct power to it and it works, changed the main relay it is clicking on for sure. now i check the ECU for an error code it isnt showing me anything, and now i tried to start the car with the fuel pump having direct power and it turns over but wont fire, and i have spark, i am totally stumped on this one! any body help me out here???

cruznz
03-05-2004, 12:36 AM
Was the pump working after all?
So you checked that power was getting to the plug?
Hows the condition of the plug?
As power is only momentary when you turn the ignition on, having someone turn it on for you would be handy,or you can disconnect the main relay plug and jump number 5 and 7 of the plug to have constant power, ( as you look at the plug,lock clip facing up, it's the 2 bottom right terminals).

honda-ski-86
03-05-2004, 10:11 AM
Hey pete

deifnatly getting gas now when i give the pump direct battery power, when u say plug do u mean the plug on the main relay???i will check into that tomorrow when i work on it again and get back to you....

but so far now when i trouble shoot this, what else coudl be the problem if the main relay is getting power and the fuel pump works properly???

thanks again
Nick

cruznz
03-05-2004, 06:16 PM
I mean, check you're getting power at the fuel pump connector,and check condition of that plug.
If fuel system proves ok, you'll need to check ignition system,even though you say you have spark

honda-ski-86
03-05-2004, 07:42 PM
Hey agian pete,
yes your right, i was consulting with a few other knowledgeable honda people and they all said that check to see if it is auctually getting the power, and check the ignition system....

but one last question, would it mean anything that no codes are showing up on the ECU????shouldnt there be if there is something wrong here????let me know
shouldnt there be if there is something wrong here???? thanks alot again for the help and hopefully i get my honds running again soon.

cruznz
03-05-2004, 08:04 PM
No. theres no codes for fuel system probs,so ecu wont throw any,you'll only get codes if there's a problem with the efi system sensors/operation

skull1441
03-05-2004, 08:32 PM
change fuel filter

honda-ski-86
03-05-2004, 11:58 PM
its not the fuel filter, the pump isnt turning on, when i gave it direct power it turned on no problem,,,, the pump isnt getting power!

honda-ski-86
03-05-2004, 11:59 PM
Pete, do u still think if say the ECU was messed it may be the source of the problem of the pump not turning on? because the main relay is clicking on, just the pump isnt turning on??
well le tme know what you think, im gonna look into it a bit tomorrow, but let me know your opinion?? fuel pump turn of relay u think???
let me know
thanks
Nick

honda-ski-86
03-06-2004, 04:22 PM
Hello agian, today i decided to rip out the ecu from the car just to look at it...when i took it out...two corners on it were almost corroded right off...then i opened it up...there was salt and dirt and junk everywhere...also...a couple resistors were corroded right in two or just not even soldered at all no more....NOW....would this be a main cause for my car not running AND ALSO....my headlight not going up or down no more, power windows not working and door locks...and for my fuel pump bnot turning on? DOes all these itmes relate back to the ECU? PLEASEEE msg me back!

Robs89LXi
05-19-2005, 06:36 AM
Need some help here, fellers, so I'm bringing back this dead thread. I've got the same problem this dude did:
1. Fuel pump works with direct current applied to it at it's clip
2. Main relay checked okay. Replaced anyway, but still pump will not come on.
3. Tried another ECU, but no change.

I had pulled the engine and tranny to rebuild them, and have just put them back in. All wires pulled were in the engine bay, and all have been hooked back up (unless I missed something obscure, but pretty sure not). Engine cranks, but will not start due to no gas. Will fire up with a shot of carb cleaner into the intake, so not spark problem.

What else could interupt the power to the fuel pump? Is there any clip, relay, fuse etc. along the way that I can check?
Thanks in advance.
Rob.

*side note* - Whenever you start threads like these, please be sure to finish them and let us know what you did to cure the problem.

Robs89LXi
05-20-2005, 10:19 AM
Anyone?

Autowiz
05-20-2005, 04:33 PM
ahh, my honda's at work at my shop, so i can't double check, but i think in the fuse box under the hood there is a fuel pump relay. if it is good, or if the main relay alone controls the fuel pump. and you KNOW the main relay is GOOD, then you probably have a break in a wire, or a bad ground, a blown fuse, a loose terminal in a harness, 3rd gen was pretty simply, the main relay, and ignition switch are pretty much the only things taht influence the fuel pump operation

Robs89LXi
05-20-2005, 07:11 PM
Hey, thanks for the reply. I tried the jumper wire trick that Cruzn suggested (jump wire between terminals #5 and 7 to give constant power to pump), and I got power to the fuel pump. I did not disconnect the plug though, but jumped it through the back of the pins. Like I said, pump came on and ran just fine, so I assume by this that my wiring to the pump is okay, but I could not get the car to even crank when I did this. When I tried, I could hear a click each time in the engine bay, but could not tell where it was coming from. Might be that relay you spoke of. If it is, how can I check it? I am blessed to have a pick-a-part salvage yard nearby too, so maybe I'll just go grab a couple and try them.
Still though, how could the main relay check out to be okay, but the pump come on when I did the jumper trick? Is that fuel pump relay you mention a part of that circuit, and would it cause the main relay not to function?
Rob.

Autowiz
05-21-2005, 06:27 AM
substitute the main relay with a known good part.