PDA

View Full Version : how to get out the main relay?

adams86lxi
03-01-2004, 04:12 PM
my car has trouble starting sometimes so i was at the junkyard and got a main relay. It looks new because it was hanging down like it had been replaced before and they couldnt get it back to its origional spot. Now im trying to put it in my car but my question is how the hell do you get it out from the car? I know their is a bolt on top that takes it off its hanger thing but i cant get to it. I tryed to just pull the wiring harness off it so i could just leave the old one up thier and zip tie the new one somwheir but i couldnt get it off! How should i get this off? do i have to pull the dash apart or something to get to it! THANkS!!!

Mac
03-01-2004, 04:35 PM
I never replaced one , but I found this:

The main relay is located just right above the hood release, inside the dash panel bolted to the left kick panel with a bolt that will fit a 10 mm socket. It has seven wires from the connector.

Remove the coin box (for clearer view)
With a 10 mm socket or wrench
Reach deep inside and at the top of the relay there you will feel a bolt.
Unbolt it.
Bring the relay down and unplug the connector by squeezing the lock flap and separate the connector from the relay.
Installation is the reverse of the procedure, although it isn't require to bolt it back at its original spot. Move the relay to a low, suitable spot where it is cool and away from heat vents.

AZmike
03-01-2004, 05:15 PM
It was awkward, but I got mine out uing a 1/4" rachet and a 10 mm socket and maybe an extension. I think I had to do it all by feel though since my hands had to block my view to reach the bolt even laying upside down in the seat with my head under the dash. Replacing mine didn't help my starting problem. The TW switch was the culprit.

RobT5580
03-01-2004, 05:35 PM
I replaced mine on my other coupe and the problem started when it got hot last summer. Basically if you tap it you can usually get it to work hence you will hear the fuel pump turn on. It is hard to reach i popped my fuse panel out to make room and just took the 10mm bolt out and used a flat head screwdriver to help pop the clip and pulled it out. It was very simple but it was a pain to find because my manual didnt say where it was nor was it a suggested trouble shooting area....But thanks to (88Lxi68) he told me about it and found the link and helped me out big time.

adams86lxi
03-01-2004, 05:49 PM
thanks guys! it was a huge pain though i planned on leaving the old one in their because their was no way i could of got the bolt of it and it wouldnt come out no matter what i tryed. The hardest part was getting the harness thing off while it was still in their. it took me about 45 minutes just pulling on it since i couldnt reach it with tools. As soon as i got it off it started to rain on me real hard and i was stuck their outside in the rain and i couldnt turn my car on to move it or any thing because it turns the fuel pump on and off. I finnally call my friend to help me grap it with pliers from underneath while i try to get it to line up with the harness and it worked. I cramped everything back in and it seemed to start up perfectly but i havent driven in the hott wether yet but so far so good. The whole thing took me about 1 hour and 15 minutes WAY TO LONG! especially in the rain! :cool:

RobT5580
03-01-2004, 06:17 PM
Yeah its hard to get at i was pist when mine went because i new for sure my fuel pump was not coming on but the Honda Repair manual didnt say one thing about it nor does it show it. I got lucky steve told me about it cause i just tapped it once i got the information and my fuel pump kicked in. So i got it home and replaced it but i was not happy because that was the first time my manual sucked and lacked information. Glad you fixed it and i had no idea how common they are. You should see how hard they are to get at in a 92 Prelude....