PDA

View Full Version : Dawn Power Dissolver part two

Sabz5150
03-01-2004, 10:18 PM
Okay, this stuff is great! I used it on my brake rebuild to clean the rubber bushings from my brake calipers just to see what it would do. Wound up making them look like I just bought them from a Honda shop. Not a sign of grease and the rubber was shiny and stretchy.

So today I put this dish and countertop wonder-cleaner to the test. I snagged a good condition head from the boneyard from an '89 so that I can do some mild port and polish work to it. Well you and I know that boneyard heads (or all parts for that matter) can be nasty as hell. Oil sludge, grease buildup, road dirt, you get the idea. Well this head had all of that.

After removing the valves and their springs/seals/seats, my first stop was at a shop that had a parts washer sink. I asked how much they would charge and how long they wanted to hold the head for. He took about five minutes to scrub it and get about next to nowhere, then told me he wanted $60 and one day overnight to soak the head. Two words: Hell No.

Back at home I sit the head on a table and spray it with the Dissolver. I let it sit for about two hours, then take it to one of those carwashes with the power washer hose, you know the ones. I sit that thing down and give it a good blasting for about six minutes...

Oh my god, that thing looks wonderful! No oil buildup, nice shiny silver aluminum, clean inside, clean outside. Yes, I made sure to thouroughly dry the head inside and out afterwards.

There are a few places that had excessive buildup that I had to hit with the dissolver a second time, but after that it came super clean.

I'm keeping a bottle of this stuff in my toolbox from now on. :bow:

erics86dx
03-01-2004, 11:23 PM
i havnt used that stuff yet but so far i have heard good things, and now i might be convinced to go buy some and clean my valve cover