PDA

View Full Version : no start just one click

vojakd
03-02-2004, 01:32 AM
I know this question might have been asked befor ,but thanks. For the help hey I have a 1986 honda accord carbed lx. I just changed the fuel pump and put in a new battery and tried to start it but their is just one click. What do you guys think the problem might be? Side Note: when I bought the car the guy said it needs a fuel pump and he said the starter is new ,but no proof and I put one in. Prior to me buying this it has been sitting since july of last year. In six months of just sitting without a battery could the starter just give out?
thanks

A20A1
03-02-2004, 01:42 AM
If the car has been sitting for a long time the pistons can seize. You also might want to check the fuses and check the battery wires for corrosion.

JOESLIM
03-02-2004, 06:16 AM
You First Need To Check The Battery Cables For Corrosion. Then If Nothing, It's Probably The Starter. Try Taking A Hammer And Hitting It To Free It Up. If It Was The Engine, The Starter Would Grind And Tear Up The Flywheel. Just Speaking From Experience. Hope This Helps.

riced_roach
03-02-2004, 08:10 AM
sounds like you've got a Nippon Denso starter. Check to see if it is. Thats an easy one to rebuild. 2 brass contacts and your done.

vojakd
03-02-2004, 08:39 AM
the battery cables are corroed where are the attached and would that make it click

vojakd
03-02-2004, 08:42 AM
and also the car is an auto if that matters.

mattalica
03-02-2004, 09:14 AM
Dude don't hit it too hard w/ the hammer!Anyway here's a list of things u can check
(1)make sure there is no corrosion.Not just on the posts but on and in the cables.If u see some but can't get it try some electrical contact cleaner.CRC makes some good stuff and u can get it at Kragen,Pep Boys,Autozone,etc. for $2-$3 a bottle.This stuff also comes in handy when u do any kind of maintenance including connectors and plugs,etc.
(2)make sure your battery cable are where they are supposed to be and the connections are tight.
(3)Check your starter relay If u have one make sure it is in good condition and the wires are good
(4) Now this one can be kinda tricky.U have a sensor that tells your ecm if u are in park or not.As u know your car won't start if it is in anything else(drive)Anyway this sensor can sometimes get disconnected or go bad.Check it out
(5)Also check your connections where your ignition is.Where u put your key.Mine went bad and I had to turn the key off and on real fast to get my car to start.
That's about all I can think of. Good luck.Matt :cheers:

shepherd79
03-02-2004, 10:28 AM
check the battery. sounds like you have dead battery.
my new car saw sitting for more than a year and pistons didn't freez up.
i think it is your battery.
clean the post and check the voltage, try jumping the car.