PDA

View Full Version : 2G carb to 3G carb

Akordion
03-02-2004, 12:12 PM
Hey guys!
Im new around here and I needa little help. I`d better tell the whole story
I have a 1984 accord Hatchback with a 1,6 l 90 hp engine. It runs pretty nice but I have some carb problems and I thought that maybe I can find some information from your forum. It is 2G but still,maybe you can help.
Actually my second barrel membrane broke down and it seems to me that the second barrel doesn`t open at all. Carb is a KEIHIN 2bbl and its quite hard to find it.
But when reading your posts about 3G Keihins then it seems that you can easily upgrade these a bit. And I just thought that is it possible to swap 3G carb on a 2G 1,6 engine, Hows the intake manifold and the vacuum stuff?
What fo you think about it? Is it possible?

Maybe someone can also say where I should connect the vacuum line of the second barrel membrane (On 2G Keihin)?

Thank you and wish you all luck in your Accord projects
Here are some pictures of the carb and engine. Dont watch the car, its quite ugly at the moment. http://pilt.ee/view/44331/

k-roy
03-02-2004, 01:33 PM
I thought the 2nd gen carb was a 3 barrel.
But anyways you can get a Weber carb with an adaptor plate.
Look for threads from the user "its paid for"
He just slapped a Weber on his 2nd gen.

A20A1
03-02-2004, 07:18 PM
I think the civic had the 3bbl keihin... take a few pics of your carb maybe.

Akordion
03-03-2004, 09:48 AM
I think the civic had the 3bbl keihin... take a few pics of your carb maybe.

Actually I put some pictures. At the end of my first post.

Thanks for Webber sugestion but maybe later. Its pretty expensive. I think it could be more cheaper and easier to use a 3G Keihin.
But I still have to use special plate and cahnge jets,right?

shepherd79
03-03-2004, 09:53 AM
can you remove the carb and look what the stud patern is, because on keihin, the studs are offset a little. they are not straight as on 2G.

Akordion
03-03-2004, 12:08 PM
Ok, I`ll try to check it someday. But can you tell me, is this carb swap possible or am I just dreaming.
I mean Third gen was with 1.8 litre engine. Isn`t that carburator just too big for me. I also dont want to lose much in mpg, its still my daily-driver.

A20A1
03-03-2004, 01:25 PM
Hey guys!

Maybe someone can also say where I should connect the vacuum line of the second barrel membrane (On 2G Keihin)?

Sorry I missed the pic link.

It looks like you have the hose hooked up to something already... what are you asking?

Akordion
03-04-2004, 10:06 AM
yes, the vacuum line of the sec barrel membrane is now connected with I dont know what. But the hose is longer and so I think it should be connected elsewere. Maybe into the spark divider (sorry, I dont know how this really is in english)
Does anybody know if I can find a vacuum digram or circuit to this car? I have looked for it but it seems that 1,6 engine 2G Accord isnt very widely spread.

Ok, maybe you can suggest me some 2G kehin upgrade tips. I m trying to read some topics about 2G carbs, but there aren`t many of them.

Akordion
03-06-2004, 07:45 AM
I fixed the problem by changeing some vacuum lines and regulated the idle gear. Now it works almoust normal.
But still. Does anybody know some tips to upgrade 2g Keihin carburator? It seems that the mechanic opening of second barrel is possible, but maybe you have some other ideas.
Thanks

shepherd79
03-06-2004, 08:08 AM
i don't think we have a lot 2g with 1.6L and carb. i think you are the first one. i think you will have to do trial and error method.
i am sorry, but i can't help unless you give the carb stud dimentions to compare to 3G carb.

Orion
03-08-2004, 04:39 AM
I have a 1.6L carbed, but havent done anything to it. Im looking at putitng a Webber on when i can find the time.

Akordion
03-08-2004, 11:31 AM
I have a 1.6L carbed, but havent done anything to it. Im looking at putitng a Webber on when i can find the time.

How many horsepowers does your car have? 66kw/90hp?

Now my car is running great and Im planning (read: saving money) some bodywork and new paint.
But i still think about upgrading my engine or swap it. Would A20A1 ( 2,0 12 valves SOHC/2bbl carb/98 hp/87-89 accord dx/lx) or BS (2.0 12 valves SOCH/2bbl/98 hp/86 Accord DX/LX) be possible without VERY big building. I know it should be in SWAP topic but maybe somebody can help me. I havent got time to read and search much about it.

shepherd79
03-08-2004, 01:12 PM
i don't see why A20 wouldn't fit in 86-87 accord.
engine mounts should be the same.

PhydeauX
03-08-2004, 01:22 PM
The BS and a20a1 are the same motor and both should be rated 98hp in us units (I have no idea if the units change for what ever country you are in). We did not get the 1.6l 2nd gen or 1.8l 3rd gen motors here in the states. All the us 2nd gen accords had the ES2 1.8l cvcc engine with a 3bbl carb. The a20a engine will fit into the gen2 accord using the mounts accessories and transmission from a 1.8l gen2 motor. I have no Idea if the 1.6l parts will work. I do know that I have an 85 hatchback in my driveway that has been a20a powered for almost 2 years now without problems and that the swap is entirely possibe and failry strait forward atleast with a car originaly equiped with a 1.8. I used a weber carb when I did my swap since I didn't want to be bothered with dealing with any emissions system compatibility issues.

andy

Akordion
03-09-2004, 10:38 AM
Thanks for hopeful words!

When I searced any information about my 84 hatchback with 1,6 carb engine, then I found that 84-85 Accords for USA were with 1,8 engine and for Canada 1,6 engene. That should be the only difference. So most probably I have this Canadian car (why else my manufacturer stickers and are in English and in French).

When I watch under my hood then there is lots of free room and i think (I hope) that this 2,0 A20A1 is possible to put there. But is this engine good material for "building (specially the parts that are in the engine)?

Phydeaux, hows your hatcback running with this engine? Do you have any pictures about it?
Mine is here: http://pilt.ee/view/44331/

PhydeauX
03-11-2004, 01:53 PM
My hosting is down right now but I do have pictures. The car ran/runs fine. I used it as my daily driver for a year. It started off with the a20a, weber carb, colt cam, pacesetter header, and msd ignition. The car ran mid 16's in the 1/4 with that setup. Later put a pair of 40 dcoe carbs on it and a hybrid integra trans. That took the 1/4 down to 15.9. I've beat the crap out of the car and it's always come back for more. I went up to a 45mm carb and ran 15.6 with it in the fall. The heads off right now with sean getting shaved and ported. I'm hoping with the new head and proper tune on the carbs to be able to make a 14s pass.

andy