PDA

View Full Version : rich or lean mixture

shepherd79
07-10-2002, 04:20 AM
well, i made my secondary manual. i followed the same directions as A20A1 posted a long time ago.
I had to reworked because it had too much play before secondary started to open. so i did that both open at the same time.
So now i have this problem.
Everytime i smack on pedal my engine almost dies for a second (nose dive) but after that is like big punch NOS. i had the same problem before but it wasn't that bad. i am thinking that because there is a lot more air is comming into the engine i am lucking on fuel (lean).
what do you guys think?
thanks a lot.

P.S. it was worth taking day off work for this. i drove the 2002 civic with 127 HP engine and i don't see the diff. between my car and civic.

A20A1
07-10-2002, 06:49 PM
how'd you get the secondary to open at the same time?

hmm... the car is out of fuel off the line... you will have to install a secondary accelerator pump to squirt in extra fuel when you press the pedal.

but I'm not sure that our carb comes with a accelerator pump fuel passage to the secondary barrel.

shepherd79
07-11-2002, 04:03 AM
well i did a little mods to the throttel braket (where cable attached). i had to putt a nut bellow the the thing that hits the secondary this way the nut would hit secondary braket earlier.
after i did that i had to remove the secondary braket and modify to t woun't hit the throttle braket when i try to open. it works great. i have like about an inch on the pedal to drive normal way (grandpa way) but if i push it farther i wake up a beast. it goes through gears in no time at all.
i am gonna try to adjust the mixture screw.
i know i am running lean, my spark plugs are white.

POS carb
07-11-2002, 06:00 AM
or burning water
if your car leaned out on the original way then it must suck for u right now, maybe it's time for a new carb seeing as no one makes a jet kit for us lol

shepherd79
07-11-2002, 12:04 PM
well i just played with mixture screw.
i turn it 1/4 counterclockwise, it did improve the take off. i can squeal tires while i am accelerating in first.
i turned about 1/4 again, just to see what it does. it didn't do anything.
But now i get pinging sound just a little. i think it is because i drop the rpm below 3000.
in the third around 5500, it is starting to slow down, it doesn't have much pull. i know with stock cam i can't do much above 5500.
i am gonna increase the spark gap from .050 to .060. Dad told me that it will increase the time of the spark so it should burn a little better.
Overall i like what i did. it didn't cost me anything, and my performance went up.

P.S. How would the car feel if the mixture is RICH?
i don't have the Air fuel ratio gauge. So i am preatty much have to do on a feel.

A20A1
07-16-2002, 07:05 PM
What kind of performance coil do you have?... I wouldn't go for .060 unless you go power to bridge the gap.
I left mine around .048

A20A1
07-16-2002, 07:12 PM
oh and a rich mixture will help but too rich is not good even with my higher revs I feel it bogging my engine...

accordlxi2.0
12-30-2003, 07:12 AM
it did'nt seem to help my brother.
if the screw was all the way in the engine would accelerate fine but constantly make that popping sound though.
but if it raned smooth at idle( screw) adjusted right, then it would have that affect it seem like it's getting worse.

shepherd79
12-30-2003, 09:53 AM
is the poping sound loud? check your timing.

accordlxi2.0
12-31-2003, 08:27 PM
well i kinda figured that's timing wise, but it seems when the mixture is richened it does'nt pop.
i think it the accelerator pump.
i think this is why i LOVE sefi