PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts and impressions on nitrous runs

jteuton
07-10-2002, 05:26 AM
Well i took the car out last night and raced my friends 94 4.3l s-10. I had him till 50 and then he started to pull on me so i hit the juice and walked off and left him. (25 shot). He said when i left off of it a small flame shot out of the tailpipe. I wonder what this means? I think it means there is still oxygen left in the exhause if it can still burn a flame so i'm still not burning 100% of my airfuelnitrous mixture. I wonder if this is a timing issue. I think I've got the timing advanced all the way cause i can't turn the distrubutor anymore. (counterclockwise). So what can i do to get more advance?....no ping in sight even with the nitrous in use....JTeuton

89accordlxi
07-10-2002, 08:05 AM
Well I can't comment much on the timing thing. I have advanced my timing as far as it goes and no ping as well. My question is about the Nos. What kind of mods do you have on your engine or are you running Nos with the stock engine? How much is a 25 shot Nos Kit and where did you get it?

That's all.

Peace out.

jteuton
07-10-2002, 08:58 AM
I've got so much stuff. lets see...cai,dc sports header, ultraflow muffler, accel coil, nology wire, ngks, venom injectors, aem fpr, polished head, bored tb, regrinded cam, and interior is stripped with sparco racing seats. The nitrous is Nitrous Works setup. I think its call the power wing kit and quite a few people sell it. I got mine from rpm outlet for 500-600 dollars. Its wet and totally adjustable from 10-150hp. I started with 25 shot to be safe. So does anybody know anything about the timing issue? I know I need more advance for a more effecient burn. And how much power do the s-10's make. I really was hoping I could take him without the nitrous...JTeuton

88turboaccord
07-10-2002, 09:30 AM
If it pops, usually it is because you are running rich, or you are not burning all of your fuel.. Usually it is from incorrect ignition timing, or you have a straight through exhaust with no cat. You see it all the time on the Le Mans touring cars, so I guess it is okay. It is best to dyno tune the car if you can..

DBMaster
07-10-2002, 01:21 PM
That 4.3L "Vortec" V-6 is a torquey engine. It is basically a shortened Chevy 350 block. Put into that lightweight little pickup they are pretty damn fast. A friend of mine had one and I couldn't even TOUCH it with the stock LXi.

jteuton
07-10-2002, 04:15 PM
Looks like I still got a lot of work to do cause I plan on eating 4.3's for lunch. I'm kinda stuck on the timing issue. I'm pretty sure the flame represents wasted fuel that ain't getting burned so I need to advance the spark more but the distributor is turned all the way. I've seen quite a few people with this problem. I know my vacuum advance is working too but it seems like i don't get enough advance around 70-80ish mph and 5to6 grand. I"m going to have to do something about the exhaust too cause the ultraflo is way too loud.....JTeuton

shepherd79
07-10-2002, 05:32 PM
another way to check the distributor, get one from junk yard.
it may be that you vacuum advance may not working right.
do you have MSD ignition?
it may help to provide a better spark.

pric
07-10-2002, 05:43 PM
I notice you have the accel coil somebody else posted where the coil kinda dies at high rpm's that would deffinitly explain the rich burn. I think it was A20A1 that posted it could be wrong.

1988starter
07-10-2002, 07:43 PM
I think A20A1 is talking about a coil with his powerband that If I am correct allows him to rev to 7500

89AccordNate
07-10-2002, 08:53 PM
I thought your suppposed to retard your timing a little for NOS?

Just what I heard!

Nate.