PDA

View Full Version : making the intake bigger

accordlxi2.0
03-02-2004, 07:36 PM
okay i have the efi intake manafold i'm gonna bore the throttle body.
but i was wondering would it b fine if i made the intake port's bigger?
if so will i notice any gain's from this?

k-roy
03-02-2004, 08:00 PM
Yes you will notice a gain in increasing the port size.The best thing to do is called port matching.
Basically the port on the intake is matched with the port on the head. You might as well work on the head for the full benifits.

accordlxi2.0
03-02-2004, 08:02 PM
hummm cool is there a great chance that i could easily fuck something up?

k-roy
03-02-2004, 08:05 PM
There is always that chance when your doing crap like this.
Just be careful, keep a close eye and work slowly.
The two biggest mistakes you can make are removong too much material and leaving metal shavings in the intake.
The last time I polished an intake I dipped it in parts cleaner, sprayed it down with a hose then used compresssed air. Oh and be sure to remove EVERYTHING from the manifold first.

riced_roach
03-02-2004, 10:55 PM
if the throttle body is increased then hopefully you'll have the correct a/f ratio from your stock MAP sensor. Things to consider.

accordlxi2.0
03-03-2004, 06:05 AM
what?! that should'nt matter.

riced_roach
03-03-2004, 08:23 PM
what?! that should'nt matter.

Really?????????? So you have a pre-programmed map sensor that is assuming a specific throttle plate that flows an "x" amount of flow. It assumes at a specific voltage reading from the TPS (throttle position sensor) will allow an "x" amount of air in the intake. Through calculations the "preprogrammed" map sensor will assume to put "x" amount of fuel. Fuel trimming can be done by the 02 sensor readings but it can only do so much.

You bet it does. If the accord had a hotwire mass air flow meter thats a differrnt story but it has a MAP.

86LXItooFAST4me
03-03-2004, 09:46 PM
so what do you have to do in order to "bore out your throttle body" mr. smarty pants?

:bong:

othick
03-04-2004, 12:44 AM
would it be possible to adapt a b16 throttle body to fit a a20 manifold? This might be cheaper and would give you an extra 5mm.

k-roy
03-04-2004, 01:20 AM
would it be possible to adapt a b16 throttle body to fit a a20 manifold? This might be cheaper and would give you an extra 5mm.

Why not just get the B16 manifold as well? Its possible, do a search.

riced_roach
03-04-2004, 08:06 AM
so what do you have to do in order to "bore out your throttle body" mr. smarty pants?

:bong:

Do the mod and get yourself a wideband a/f meter and test yourself. Remember lean is mean so it your headgasket not mine. You want aprox 12.5:1 a/f ratio for aprox max HP out of a NA engine. Just hope that when the computer increases the duty cycle of the injectors that it will provide enough fuel for max performance. I doubt it but perhaps some improvements will be seen.

Thanks for reading,
MSP

86LXItooFAST4me
03-04-2004, 08:18 AM
Do the mod and get yourself a wideband a/f meter and test yourself. Remember lean is mean so it your headgasket not mine. You want aprox 12.5:1 a/f ratio for aprox max HP out of a NA engine. Just hope that when the computer increases the duty cycle of the injectors that it will provide enough fuel for max performance. I doubt it but perhaps some improvements will be seen.

Thanks for reading,
MSP

so if i have an adjustable fuel regulator, H22 injectors and i get a "wideband a/f meter" i could bore my throttle body out to what degree for max performance?

riced_roach
03-04-2004, 08:27 AM
86lxi,

having an adjustable fuel pressure regulator will help and using higher volume fuel injectors will help aswell. What is required is to map or program your own fuel curves to make more power.

Using a wide band a/f meter with data logging will show you what exactly your car is doing. Then you'll see where your going lean or too rich in every rpm. This is where you may learn why your not improving much with bolt ons. Maybe some hardcore civic tuning boys will give you some insight on manipulating fuel curves.

86LXItooFAST4me
03-04-2004, 08:33 AM
so i would need one of these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33557&item=2464179708 im guessing so i can adjust my "fuel curves? and where do i get a "wide band a/f meter"

riced_roach
03-05-2004, 08:22 AM
so i would need one of these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33557&item=2464179708 im guessing so i can adjust my "fuel curves? and where do i get a "wide band a/f meter"

best bang for the buck is the LM1 Innovative a/f meter with data logging. It has everything you'll need to install.

DIY techedge wideband is also an excellent WB a/f meter

Spend big coin with no performance difference than the 2 above and buy yourself an FJO unit.

86LXItooFAST4me
03-05-2004, 12:04 PM
ok roach, would this be what i need or do i need something better?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2464743823
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=33742&item=2464187068&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWA%3AIT

86LXItooFAST4me
03-05-2004, 12:10 PM
and is this one any good?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2464223584

riced_roach
03-06-2004, 12:03 AM
86lxi,

I'm not familiar with the 2 wideband a/f meter units you have listed. The last one that says its accurate and it uses the same "existing 02 sensor" in my opinion is advertising tactics to sell the products to the "unknowledgeable" consumers that are too lazy to weld in an 02 sensor bung. Original 02 sensors that are not 5 wire will not be an accurate guage.

That JDM APEXI S-AFC SUPER AIR FUEL CONTROLLER sounds like a good fuel manipulating product. I'd try to contact hardcore import tuners to see if thats a decent product. Asking alot of questions costs you nothing except time.

As far as air fuel meters are concerned I'd see what knowledgeable people like. People brag about having an a/f meter but if it isn't a reputable wideband meter all those other a/f guages are expensive useless toys with absolutely no tuning value. I know as a fact that many hotrodders are buying the LM1 Innovative a/f meters because of its value, accuracy and extremely useful datalogging capabilities.

I'd be concerned about buying "wideband a/f meters" from companies that are not being talked about amongs reallife racers. Be careful of the shiat that is sold on ebay.

accordlxi2.0
03-06-2004, 05:13 PM
one of the guy's has or had an se-i and he bored out the throttle body and he had no problem.
i belive someone also bored the intake , but i think it's carb though.