PDA

View Full Version : anyones brake lights also turn on your dash lights?

Micah 89LXi
03-02-2004, 10:21 PM
I have a problem...when i press the brake the brake lights come on but so do my dash lights...very dimly...this is while my headlights are off...when i turn my headlights on...my 3rd brake light stays on..and when i press the brake it gets brighter but never goes off...from behind it looks like i am riding my brakes. Also when i press the brake it also dims the clock...is there a sensor to replace or something...or is my electrical going nuts..and therefore am i screwed?

HELP??!?!?!

shepherd79
03-03-2004, 04:36 AM
you have a short somewhere.

Blkblurr
03-03-2004, 05:25 AM
You have a ground wire broken or missing possibly relating to your brake lights. The voltage is back feeding through your headlights causing the strange lighting conditions you have.

it's paid for
03-04-2004, 09:57 PM
yeah - me too . . . I have a 2G and there's a round, dorky looking "door open indicator" thing in the middle-top of my dash . . . when I start up & drive, the bottom "brakes" light comes on the first time I step on my brakes . . . & it stays on until I turn off the car . . .

. . . so, it's a short? how's the best way to pin down the problem?

Michael Cote
03-05-2004, 02:43 PM
Micah 89 LXi.
Did you replace a brake light lately? Sometimes the solder spot on the light bulb (1157) touches the side of socket and you end up with a reverse short. Sometimes the power is getting from the bulb to ground and lighting up your dash lights. It happened to me. Try changing that bulb again if you did or check/change all your rear brake/park light bulbs. Wiggle the wires to around the socket while your at it. Goodluck, Mike C.

Michael Cote
03-05-2004, 02:46 PM
yeah - me too . . . I have a 2G and there's a round, dorky looking "door open indicator" thing in the middle-top of my dash . . . when I start up & drive, the bottom "brakes" light comes on the first time I step on my brakes . . . & it stays on until I turn off the car . . .

. . . so, it's a short? how's the best way to pin down the problem?

Check brakelight bulbs and license plate bulbs as well.

Micah 89LXi
03-07-2004, 01:31 AM
will do...thanks for the input guys