PDA

View Full Version : 87 accord lx wont start help

g0ldfinGa
03-02-2004, 11:02 PM
turn the key and tehres no noise at all, engine doesnt turn over or anything, the starter clicks once and thats it..

lights come on and stereo plays full volume with the amps on and everything, anyone have an idea of what it may be? and how i can get it started to get it fixed, when we pushed the car backwards about two days ago and tried the ignition again after wabout six tries it finally started but it hasnt started since, it may be the starter but i need to find a way to get it to start one last time to drive it to the shop

g0ldfinGa
03-02-2004, 11:04 PM
oh its a 87 lx 4d, with an auto tranny

k-roy
03-02-2004, 11:04 PM
It sounds like the starter is possibly dead. Check out the relay first.
Do you have a 5 speed? If you do get a couple of buddies to push it to about 5mph then drop the clutch into first gear. If you are good like me you can push start yourself.

g0ldfinGa
03-02-2004, 11:06 PM
how do u check the relay?

g0ldfinGa
03-02-2004, 11:07 PM
the junk yard has starters for like $10, but i have no clue how to get down at that to take it out, and whats involved with putting the new one in there

k-roy
03-02-2004, 11:08 PM
aww crap you replied as I was typing, you have no chance of push starting it

Download the shop manual from the top of this page
http://www.pauldesign.ru/honda/shopmanual.html
make sure you have adabe acrobat installed so you can view the file.

Brettmans5
03-02-2004, 11:25 PM
if it just make a clicking noise its probably the contacts are fucked up, get a hammer and hit the starter a few times, it may knock the cotacts loose allowing it to start. If it does drive yourself to the wrecker and get a new one :)

ChaseR
03-02-2004, 11:37 PM
replacing the starter is cake though dude, all you do is disconnect two wires (one is bolted on) and one just connects. and then two really long bolts hold the thing in place. I just had te reinstall mine putting my tranny in...

g0ldfinGa
03-02-2004, 11:38 PM
alright thanks