PDA

View Full Version : bad gas milage and hesitation

meohmy01
03-03-2004, 04:41 PM
my car has bad hesitation and not the greatest acceleration. but more importantly it's getting about 20mpg. it's an 88 lx sedan with 176000 miles on it. it runs and drives fine but when you go to stomp on the gas it take a second or two. it also is hard starting before it is warmed up. i had another one of these cars that i drove for a while before buying my 5g and it was an awsome car, none of these problems. any ideas?

k-roy
03-03-2004, 04:50 PM
Oh man I bet there is a ton of shit that needs to be addressed if you are getting that shitty of mileage.
My 87 LX 5 speed gets 32 City/43 Hiway.

Check out and replace the following.
Fuel filter (2), fuel pump strainer, air filter, plugs, wires, cap and rotor, ignition coil, timing, wheel bearings, make sure the brakes are not dragging or seized, tire pressure, alignment, check for vacuum leaks, tune your carb as per the howto section on this board, try using a differant brand and a higher grade of gas, tranny fluid, there is probaly some more things but those are the basics

Mike's89AccordLX
03-03-2004, 05:06 PM
damn wtf I thought 20 mpg was good?!?!?!? I get really good highway miles (42) but I get about 23 to 25 mpg in town. But then again I have a ton of performance stuff.

meohmy01
03-03-2004, 05:16 PM
air filter, plugs, wires, and rotor are all new. i replaced about 5 vacuum lines and the rest seem to look ok. i know the brakes are ok because i just put new ones in and i checked the lug nuts to be sure they weren't heating up. the alignment is beyond fucked up because i hit a dirt embankment. you need to hold the wheel 5-10 degrees to the left to go straight. i will attempt to tune the carb but this would be my first. another thing is that before the car is warmed up the clutch seems to stick a little?

Mike's89AccordLX
03-03-2004, 05:21 PM
Buy a can of Seafoam and pour it in your gas tank. I will clean your carb. Or you can pour it straight into the carb too. Do you have enough clutch fluid? Well is it cold when it sticks? B/c that's how gear lube is. It's kinda tough until its warm.

meohmy01
03-03-2004, 05:44 PM
there is no clutch fluid. it's a cable clutch. and it does only do it when it's warm. the car sat for a few months while i was fixing it after crashing it but it hasn't really been hesitating much anymore. (i didn't think to notice until after i posted the thread) but it still is getting really bad gas milage. i'll replace the fuel filters since i bought them already.