PDA

View Full Version : Motor oil is motor oil?

meangreenLXi
03-03-2004, 05:12 PM
:help: Friggin oil light popped on again today after removing still more from my engine. After removing about a quart I drove around and within 5 minutes "bling," oil light. I just decided to take the oil out and replace it. I use 5w-30 and I was caught up wondering :cool2: what is a good oil to use. I usually use a Valvoline dura-blend synthetic. I was wondering if THERE IS ANY DIFFERENCE IN THE BRANDS OF OILS. I saw Castrol 5w30-Drive hard. Valvoline has a high milage brand. I'm sure there are others, but what I wanna know is what is good for a driver that pushes his high milage 3g. I usually drive to work 12 miles coming and going with average speeds 75 - 85mph daily. My oil is ready to be changed every 3000 miles and I wanna use something that hard drivers use to keep their engines performing top notch. What do you guys think about that Royal Purple? What is are some of the top performing oils on the market for guys that push their cars hard regularly? :argue:

Mike's89AccordLX
03-03-2004, 05:19 PM
Yeah oil is oil. I heard a conversation with a Penzoil dealer and that is exactly what he told a friend of mine. He said buy oil from a company that just made new refineries b/c that's the only difference. B/c it's all made the same, but the newer refineries will probably have better oil.

meangreenLXi
03-03-2004, 05:32 PM
So it really doesn't matter if I use the high milage or the hard driving Castrol, to protect against thermol break down?

shepherd79
03-03-2004, 05:51 PM
you should use 10w-40. 5w-30 is too thin for our engine.

meangreenLXi
03-03-2004, 05:57 PM
Two things with that Shep, I think (not sure) the manual recommends the 5w-30, that's the only reason I did it. The second, the valvoline guy told me once you use the 5w-30 you have to stay with it because it's a higher grade and it would cause problems if you change back to a lower grade. :confused:

Mike's89AccordLX
03-03-2004, 06:05 PM
That's a line of BULL :bs:

I was told that same line by an AMSOIL dealer and I talked with my instructors and they even said that was BS.

The guy said my motor would blow up if I switched and I did and I have been running Halvoline motor oil since then and my car runs great. I've been using Halvoline for about 8 months now.

So yeah that's bull!

meangreenLXi
03-03-2004, 06:14 PM
How hard do you run it? Are you a hard driver? I'm tellin ya, i'm usually runnin 80mph 5days a week twice a day. I just thought the 5w-30 was a thicker better quality oil?

Mike's89AccordLX
03-03-2004, 06:19 PM
Well I guess I'm a pretty hard driver since I race a little bit. I used to do top speed tests all the time.

meangreenLXi
03-03-2004, 06:25 PM
Cool, that's what I wanted to hear, I gotta know that i'm the hardest driver on here. You being a racer definately tops anything i've done as far as pushing a car to it's limits.

zerotap
03-03-2004, 07:09 PM
So when I go change my oil this week I should specify some 10w-40 ? Any particular brands. I prefer to use sythetic high mileage oil. I bought the car less than a month ago and just haven't gotten around to having it changed yet. But when I did buy the car and checked the oil level, it was good and the oil color was good. About only thing I need to do is change valve cover gasket as there is a bit of oil leaking from it which is to be expected on a car with 134 thousand miles and change. Oh and what kind of oil filters should I request when I get my oil changed.

Mike's89AccordLX
03-03-2004, 07:22 PM
I use Napa Gold oil filters.

cmzinner
03-03-2004, 07:40 PM
So when I go change my oil this week I should specify some 10w-40 ? Any particular brands. I prefer to use sythetic high mileage oil. I bought the car less than a month ago and just haven't gotten around to having it changed yet. But when I did buy the car and checked the oil level, it was good and the oil color was good. About only thing I need to do is change valve cover gasket as there is a bit of oil leaking from it which is to be expected on a car with 134 thousand miles and change. Oh and what kind of oil filters should I request when I get my oil changed.

basically, 10W vs 5W goes like this: the "W" stands for "weight" which really all that means is that the 10W-30 is thicker (more viscous) than the 5W-30 at a lower temp (i.e. when the engine is starting)...for we who live in the south, this is now big deal, seeing as how our engine blocks hardly ever see temps on the order of 45F. For yall up north, you might want to consider using the lower weight, 5W-30 during the cold months, b/c it will help your car start more easily in the cold winter (in theory).

as to the second number, 30 vs. 40, that is a general viscosity - viscosity achieved at optimum running temps....basically, stick with 30. If your car is a smoker...kick it up to 40 and this will hinder the amount of oil your old beast consumes...Don't use the 40 just because you have a leaky head gasket - just replace the gasket - nodnod.

to give you a better idea of the second number, piston aircraft engines use an oil with a number somewhere around 90...it's thick as honey. the reason being for this is that they get much hotter than car engines (most are air-cooled), they have a much lower compression ratio, and the blow-by around the cylinders is much greater than that of a car engine...they literally sling oil out the exhaust.

hope all this helps somebody...anyhoo...I'ma go get a beer :cheers:

Rendon LX-i
03-03-2004, 07:58 PM
who lied to u man. yeah oil is oil. but the Valvoline is wack. u leave that shit in your motor for 2 month your motor dirty as hell. and castorl is wack to. on imports i was told by my auto teacher that Mobil 1 FULL SYNTHETIC 5w30 is the best. which it is. cuz i been using it for a long ass time and my engine still has the power and its always clean. 10w-40 is WAY to heavy for are engines.

cmzinner
03-03-2004, 08:06 PM
who lied to u man. yeah oil is oil. but the Valvoline is wack. u leave that shit in your motor for 2 month your motor dirty as hell. and castorl is wack to. on imports i was told by my auto teacher that Mobil 1 FULL SYNTHETIC 5w30 is the best. which it is. cuz i been using it for a long ass time and my engine still has the power and its always clean. 10w-40 is WAY to heavy for are engines.

I concur with the Mobil 1 full synthetic....they us a variant of it on the space shuttle...synthetics generally do not allow dirt and unwanted sediments to adhere to your engine parts....it's like Sam Adams, always a good decision. :cheers:

riced_roach
03-03-2004, 08:09 PM
All oil is not created equal. "regular" mineral oil aka Dino oil cannot be compared to synthetic. I guarantee any synthetic would outperform any dino oil. From Amsoil, Motul, Elf etc the additive packages will have better shear protectants than dino.

There is so much to know about motor oil its sick. Like anything motor oil should be used strictly for its application. Ester based synthetics have excellent shear protection yet it may not be super ideal for street daily driver use.

I wouldn't care to use dino oil since it leaves deposits in your engine. If you have experience in engines you would know who uses synthetic or who uses dino just by looking at the valvetrain when you pop off the valve cover. Dino works alright but if you want superior lubrication go synthetic. If anyone begs to differ they have no idea what they are talking about.

Amsoil is an excellent product but they are archaic when it comes to selection. Check out what Motul has to offer or even elf. They have 5w20 and many other modern viscosity blends. Europe is way more upto date than American oil manufacturers. If you compare oil "standards" the Europeans are way ahead of the game.

Hey Mikes89accordlx, have you sent your oil out for oil analysis???? if you havent you have absolutely no proof that Havoline is a superior or excellent product. Amsoil would outperform havoline hands down. Just by using a specific brand for 8months is absolutely meaningless. Have you pulled out your pistons to inspect for any scuffs on the piston skirts??? or cylinder bore (thrust side) have you inspected those parts before using havoline??? If you compare havoline (virgin oil) and after your certain oil change interval I bet the viscosity additives degraded significantly. If you test a synthetic it would hold its own by far better than havoline. I'd guarantee that the zddp (zinc and phosphorus) content of synthetic would be much higher than your joe shmow dino oil.

I think any dino oil (castrol, pennzoil, havoline, wallmart specials...etc) work but if you want superior protection synthetic is the only way to go. Any dino oil rep can talk all day but oil analysis do not lie. One guy can brag about castrol another havoline and another walmart oil. Dino oil has limitations and I would never use it on my personal vehicles.

MrBen
03-03-2004, 08:12 PM
Switching to synthetic isn't going to do shit if all you have used for the engine's life is regular oil.

mattalica
03-03-2004, 08:18 PM
Not all oil is the same!If that was the case either cheap oil would cost more or the good stuff would cost less.Anyway I drive my car very ,very hard.I only drive about 5 miles to work,Short trips are bad for an engine,and I get on it constantly!Between 70-90 all the way.I was running Valvoline 20-50 and some LUCAS oil stabilizer.I have never had a single problem w/ my engine.It runs great!But this last oil change,about 2 weeks ago,Kragen had 4 qts. of quaker state 10-30 w/ a bottle of SLICK 50 for $14.99!Just the Slick 50 is usually $14.99.So that's what I'm runnin' right now. recently bought a 2g Acord w/ 197,000 miles on it and the owner of it allways put Slick 50 in it and it runs FANTASTIC!It is fast as hell(for what it is)and amzes me every time I drive it w/ the amount of power that it still has.Slick 50 baby!It seems to work pretty damn good!Matt :cheers:

accordlxi2.0
03-03-2004, 08:19 PM
i either use penzoil himilege or synthetic and everyday i floor my car there's rarely been a time when i'm driving slow.
but i like penzoil.
when i had my beretta the bearings
were going and i was low on oil.
i went to put some quaker state in it and the car sound worse, then i tried penzoil it was quiet and the bearing's lasted for about a month or so . . . . .

Neuspeed87lx
03-03-2004, 08:22 PM
i wouldnt worry about the brand of the oil .... just make sure it is changed on a regular basis..... i try to change it every 2000 miles ....i just use motorcraft stuff..... i work at a ford dealer and thats what they have

zerotap
03-03-2004, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the input. I'll use 10w30 then and just make sure it's synthetic. Never been to particular on brands I just always made sure oil I use is synthetic.Oh, and I don't have a leaky head gasket. It just looks like I need to replace the Valve Cover Gasket. That's expected with the miles on this car. Me and my buddy will probly do it when I change struts out in a couple weeks. Lol and I agree on the beer. I hear MGD calling my name.
basically, 10W vs 5W goes like this: the "W" stands for "weight" which really all that means is that the 10W-30 is thicker (more viscous) than the 5W-30 at a lower temp (i.e. when the engine is starting)...for we who live in the south, this is now big deal, seeing as how our engine blocks hardly ever see temps on the order of 45F. For yall up north, you might want to consider using the lower weight, 5W-30 during the cold months, b/c it will help your car start more easily in the cold winter (in theory).

as to the second number, 30 vs. 40, that is a general viscosity - viscosity achieved at optimum running temps....basically, stick with 30. If your car is a smoker...kick it up to 40 and this will hinder the amount of oil your old beast consumes...Don't use the 40 just because you have a leaky head gasket - just replace the gasket - nodnod.

to give you a better idea of the second number, piston aircraft engines use an oil with a number somewhere around 90...it's thick as honey. the reason being for this is that they get much hotter than car engines (most are air-cooled), they have a much lower compression ratio, and the blow-by around the cylinders is much greater than that of a car engine...they literally sling oil out the exhaust.

hope all this helps somebody...anyhoo...I'ma go get a beer :cheers:

cmzinner
03-03-2004, 11:11 PM
Thanks for the input. I'll use 10w30 then and just make sure it's synthetic. Never been to particular on brands I just always made sure oil I use is synthetic.Oh, and I don't have a leaky head gasket. It just looks like I need to replace the Valve Cover Gasket. That's expected with the miles on this car. Me and my buddy will probly do it when I change struts out in a couple weeks. Lol and I agree on the beer. I hear MGD calling my name.

hey, glad I could help. Honestly, the best thing you can do for your car is the regular oil change and filter change. watch your fluid levels and you'll be golden.

Happy tuning!!

-Chris

Nuffice
03-04-2004, 12:47 AM
If I were you I would have the crank bearings checked, just to make sure everything is working well.. I had a similar problem and turned out to be my bearings. :beat:

riced_roach
03-04-2004, 08:13 AM
Switching to synthetic isn't going to do shit if all you have used for the engine's life is regular oil.

According to who?? Thats like saying your a smoker all your life and its not worth kicking the habit. Ignorance is bliss. Depending on how tired your engine is and if you value the car stick with dino oil if you feel the engine isn't worth it and is needing a rebuild. IF the engine has low mileage on it and its not consuming any oil I'd definitely switch.

Rendon LX-i
03-04-2004, 10:33 AM
i agree. shit i spend 32 dollars on my oil change most of the time. thats using Mobil 1 full synthentic and if i want really good oil i use Neo oil. which that stuff is really good. A Riced Roach just let them use what ever oil they want. I guess they dont really know much about oil. OIL IS JUST OIL. yeah okay buddy.riggggggght. lol.

hondamanlxi
03-04-2004, 10:52 AM
ive been told that if a car has always had dino oil, switching to syn would "dry out your seals and cause leaks"! True?

meangreenLXi
03-04-2004, 11:26 AM
What is that Neo oil and where do you get it? I change my own oil and I just want the best performance oil in my hard driven accord. I was thinking bout going over to the Mobil 1 full synthetic. I'm definately going full synthetic, one way or the next.

MrBen
03-04-2004, 12:51 PM
According to who?? Thats like saying your a smoker all your life and its not worth kicking the habit. Ignorance is bliss. Depending on how tired your engine is and if you value the car stick with dino oil if you feel the engine isn't worth it and is needing a rebuild. IF the engine has low mileage on it and its not consuming any oil I'd definitely switch.

Research yourself. People who have switched to synthetic after using regular oil in their 3g for the first hundred thousand miles or so noticed mostly bad results.

AccordEpicenter
03-04-2004, 01:20 PM
using synthetic can aggravate leaks, but if youre engine is in decent shape you can use it... i ran mobil 1 for a while and it stayed cleaner than anything. Most oil is just oil, there is virtually no point of a synthetic blend, its virtually the same as regular oil, if youre gonna go synthetic you need to go FULL synthetic in order to get the benefit of the sythetic. Other than that... oil is oil so dont hesitate to use the .79 oil at autozone or whatever...

Rendon LX-i
03-04-2004, 01:49 PM
Lol i been using full synthetic since i bought my car and the only leak i had was oring gasket. MeangreenLXi I buy Neo fuilds from my friend that deals for them. Neo has tranny fuild for are cars, motor oil, brake fuild. power steering. basicly anything that is fuild. I have also neo tranny fuild. helps alot on gearing and smooth as shifting. better then honda MTF. but the only thing it cost ALOT. u can go to yahoo and search neo. or let me ask were esle u can get that Neo.

meangreenLXi
03-05-2004, 02:55 AM
Kuewl, imma check it out.

riced_roach
03-05-2004, 08:18 AM
Research yourself. People who have switched to synthetic after using regular oil in their 3g for the first hundred thousand miles or so noticed mostly bad results.

whats bad??? leaks??? Well if the oil seals were good in the first place it wont leak. Have you poured a bottle of synthetic lately????? you'd see that the cold pour of syn oil will have the same viscosity as when its hot. The dino oil usually pours heavier when cold and then thins out. This is why synthetic is good for cold areas of the world and moderate.

I've done enough research about synthetic. If you had issues with sythetic done blame the superior oil blame your tired oil seals or engine. 3g or not an engine is an engine.

MrBen
03-05-2004, 10:05 AM
Not everyone's engine is PERFECT. I am a college student with no money. Therefore I don't have the money to pour into getting all my gaskets replaced if they don't leak with regular oil. Therefore, when I put synthetic oil in my tired engine of 250,000 miles, it leaks and uses oil. This is the same case experienced by many other 3g owners. Therefore, synthetic oil doesn't do SHIT for me.

hondamanlxi
03-05-2004, 01:31 PM
point taken, il stick to 2500 mile oil changes with dino oil

Gregg86DX
03-05-2004, 02:51 PM
hey, glad I could help. Honestly, the best thing you can do for your car is the regular oil change and filter change. watch your fluid levels and you'll be golden.

Happy tuning!!

-Chris

:werd:

This is the most import fact most of us need to know about oil.

AccordEpicenter
03-05-2004, 08:09 PM
yeah im with him....

meangreenLXi
03-07-2004, 03:33 AM
Cool, I got some gaskets changed yesterday. The car didn't leak and I gotta check it this morning. I only checked after 45min or so. I got the oil pan gasket, oil filter housing gasket and the oil pan breather tube replaced. The mechanic didn't know where the o ring went, that's okay I got off with the labor, dirt cheap! so I couldn't be happier and if it does leak he said he'd do it in another week or so. He said the oil pan gasket he had to scrape off of the pan and he showed me all the pieces of the gasket that he scrapped away and how hard they were, it may have been the original gasket, the same for the other gaskets, the oil filter housing, he said was dead and the breather tube wasn't flexible at all. As he put oil back in my car, he said it was 5w-30 and added some Lucas Oil Stabilizer (I thought to my self, Starter1988 is some where smiling) and my mechanic said the stabilizer was good to have in the engine.

meangreenLXi
03-07-2004, 04:01 AM
Just checked and no leaks yet! :bong:

dub88acc
03-07-2004, 10:38 AM
how about 20w-50 oil? thats what i use, and my car is runnin great!!

Rendon LX-i
03-07-2004, 11:38 AM
Jesus. thats pretty heavy man. its like choking your motor. but if that what u want

skull1441
03-07-2004, 06:16 PM
everybody know extra virgin olive oil is the best :D

Xulfiqar
03-19-2004, 09:31 PM
According to the SAE white papers - the W stands for winter, the oils are blended with expanding polymers that actually make the oil flow like the numbers quoted.

In my accord I use API SG 15W 40 (caltex RPM Delo 400 diesel) or any brand that carries the same specifications. it runs extra sweet, it comes out clean as anything and this oil has a great cleaning property - coz its meant for diesels. You guys cannot imagine the conditions in Karachi, Very hot, dusty and smoky. Still it holds up for 3000 miles

Ive even used this oil in a turbocharged daihatsu charade, works like magic.

Just use the basic guidelines mentioned in the manual - only the API specs and viscosity grades count.

DanLXI88
04-29-2004, 08:28 AM
Uh ummm diesel? You use this in your gas motor?

speedpenguin
04-29-2004, 12:18 PM
i think he's saying he uses heavy oil cuz it's hot out there

AccordEpicenter
04-29-2004, 01:15 PM
i run 20w-50 and its not bad at all... My bearings are a little noisy at times tho, it keeps them quiet. Just dont run it in cold weather (shouldnt run it below 30* or so)

DanLXI88
04-29-2004, 01:32 PM
i run 20w-50 and its not bad at all...
Why? What does it do for you ? I have always used 10w-30.

AccordEpicenter
04-29-2004, 05:18 PM
its a heavier oil and it quiets my beat to piss rod bearings that i thrashed by bouncing this car off the rev limiter for 5 years daily.

89cordlx
04-29-2004, 06:29 PM
is the oil light supposed to be on when I just have the key turned to the on position? (not running but like radio plays and stuff)

NeubJ
04-29-2004, 07:24 PM
What weight of oil would you guys recommended for alot of stop and go for long periods of time?

AccordEpicenter
04-29-2004, 08:06 PM
10-40 or 15-40 hell maybe even 20w-50. Stop n go is hell on your car

natedawgydawg
04-29-2004, 09:02 PM
you should use 10w-40. 5w-30 is too thin for our engine.

i dont think so dude

i do live in canada and the winters get cold, but i even had 10w30 in before i changed to 5 in february

it just depends where you are and how your climate is

AccordEpicenter
04-30-2004, 04:26 AM
unless its cold out, i agree, 5w-30 is too thin

fuzzy audio
05-01-2004, 11:40 AM
Just thought that I would add my $.02 to this train wreck. :)

I've used Castrol GTX religiously. I've only had one engine problem concerning oil ever, and that was on my 80' lude with 210k miles on it. The oil pump failed and I think I destroyed the engine, but it was -50degrees F and I don't know when the oil pump was changed before that and the engine had been beat on. with that said, Castol has always treated me well. I try to change my oil between 3k-5k, but if I have ever used anything else, I've always changed at 2k. In the end,

I have to agree with the oil is oil for those of us who are daily drivers. As long as you change it frequently you should be good.

speedpenguin
05-02-2004, 09:59 AM
is the oil light supposed to be on when I just have the key turned to the on position? (not running but like radio plays and stuff)
yes

89cordlx
05-02-2004, 04:03 PM
yay, I have been worried about that for awhile. Thanks!

A20A1
05-02-2004, 04:45 PM
I use:
Valvoline VR-! Racing 20w-50
or
Mobil 1 Super Syn 20w-50

Busted_Blue
05-02-2004, 06:05 PM
I'm running 5w-30 right now and i plann to switch back to 10w-30 soon. I realized the manual is telling me an average temp reccomendation. Since I live in california where winter is not a season, I might as well get 10w-30 since i dont get really hot summers either.

I don't use synthetic and my oil gets change every 7000 miles. What is the purpose of changing your oil so frequently?

speedpenguin
05-03-2004, 03:03 PM
i use 10w-40 in summer and 5w-30 in winter.
it works out for me
cuz MD is definitely hot in summer and cold in winter.

89cordlx
05-03-2004, 05:47 PM
maybe I'll try the 20w-50 my nexy oil change.... just to see how it goes.

XxDark_AccordxX
05-03-2004, 05:53 PM
my manual said to use 10w-30 and thats what ive always used. i use 10w-30 high milleage.what does 5w-30 do? does it make it run better or something?

89cordlx
05-04-2004, 06:59 AM
the oil is less viscus and flows easier in low temps.

speedpenguin
05-04-2004, 10:35 AM
maybe I'll try the 20w-50 my nexy oil change.... just to see how it goes.
it's not THAT hot in ohio, is it?
10w-40 would be better, i think.
oil that heavy would be for if you live in like south america or africa.

89cordlx
05-04-2004, 11:23 AM
I'll have to talk to one of my mechanic friends about it...

NeubJ
05-05-2004, 09:48 PM
I was being lazy and decided to go get my oil and filter changed. I was gonna try 10w40 and the guy there said it keeps the heat trapped (basically saying it was bad).
Then he tried to tell me to go with Mobil 1 High mileage (plus the sales pitch). I just wanted to stick with the brand I normally use and he kinda got pissed since I didnt say ok.
Everyone says something different about oil.

superguillermo
05-05-2004, 10:19 PM
Yes....a TRAIN wreck!!!

More Than You Ever Need to Know About Motor Oil
http://www.micapeak.com/info/oiled.html

Cygnus
01-22-2006, 11:29 PM
I use Castrol Heavy Duty 40 and I live in Puerto Rico,is that a good choice of viscosity?Would be better is I change to 20w-40?

FORFREE
01-24-2006, 10:06 AM
somtimes when u swich from regular oil to synthetic ur light will come on b/c ur car is not us2 it and i use 5w-30 and it works fine and are u sure it is not oil pressure that is causing light to come on.