PDA

View Full Version : H4 bulbs and such

HondaBoy
03-03-2004, 06:25 PM
ok, with my new H4 projector conversions came a pair of PCP.com brand 100/90 watt xenon blue bulbs. they are alright i guess, but as some of you know i despise those types of bulbs. im wanting something brighter of couse. im wondering if i should put my GE h4 bulbs in that were in my other headlights? if i use my driving/fog lights with them they seem bright enough. well, anyone got some suggestions on what bulbs to buy. i've got new sockets wired in so thats all good. brands i wont go with are APC, Eurolite, and most of them that you can find at places such as Autozone, Pepboy's. ok you get the idea, i want some nice bright bulbs that light up the road fairly well. Piaa is one i would go with if y'all can help me find em for less than $60. truthfully, i dont think i will be happy unless i get real HID bulb conversion. damn it, they cost so much! so guys help me out. maybe tell what bulbs you have and how well they work.

shepherd79
03-03-2004, 07:43 PM
i went though 4-5 diff sets of light bulbs. i tested almost every price range. cheap from $10 to $80 for a pair of bulbs.
my verdict is that if you want bright light, get ready to cash out some money.
i paid $80 for my Raybrig White Sonic H4 bulbs. http://store.racinglab.com/raywhitsonh4.html the picture before and after is actually the true picture. If you compare Raybrig white sonic and PIAA Super Xtreme, you will find that PIAA doesn't work at 5000K, and it has lower color temp on high beams.
It is been over a year since i had my light bulbs. so far so good. The cheap bulbs would burn out on me by now.
i hope that helped. if you want more pictures i will take some pictures comparing cheap xenon gas charged bulbs. i will do that tomorrow.

HondaBoy
03-03-2004, 07:47 PM
i know the quartz glass bulbs are much better than the hardened glass ones. im thinking APC used hardened glass? anyway, i think the Piaa, Raybrig, Nokya, and the other japanese and german brands usually used high quality quartz glass. well, anyone else got some advise?

HondaBoy
03-04-2004, 04:07 PM
so, i guess shepherd79 is the only knowledgeable one on this subject? i may see if my friend can get me some stuff for his price at napa.

Cyric_accord
03-08-2004, 01:25 PM
I'm not an expert, but I know the option racing H4 bulbs aren't that great, I'm gonna wait and change out the bulbs for something else... they're 4,300K 130/100w bulbs and my stock harness can't push enough power... and I'm a little apprehensive to installing this APC H4 Upgrade Harness right now

HondaBoy
03-08-2004, 04:58 PM
yeah, i had seen the APC heavy duty wiring harness at Napa. my friend was showing me that cuz he works there. looks alright, although im not a fan of APC because of their many crappy products ive used. anyway, im looking for better bulbs. i may re wire my headlights with bigger bulbs and some good relays. im still trying to get rid of the bulbs my new headlights came with. i bet i can get some one i know to get them.

Rendon LX-i
03-08-2004, 05:16 PM
just get H.I.D. only using 35 watts puts out 4,000k. and there u go. thats wat im going to do soon

RobT5580
03-08-2004, 07:11 PM
I would highly recommend HID's if you have the money and time to do the retrofit. Im in the middle of mine and i have ballasts/bulbs/projectors out of a Audi A6 (all made by Hella) and i cant wait to finish them up. But im taking my time since im making an entire new back housing for my H4 setup and i want it to look decent even though they are not normally visible. They are expensive setups however and the audi/hella stuff is not cheap at all iv seen them on ebay.

Busted_Blue
03-08-2004, 07:37 PM
as for regular h4s, the ones that shepherd talk about are great. Super Autobacs store down in south california have them for $73 a pair. Bright as hell, and very very nice indeed.

by the way, for those who have the housings, wat exactly did you do to stop leaking. what part did you seal?

Busted_Blue
03-25-2004, 05:29 PM
--on the interested of raybrigs, shepherd can you get a picture of your raybrig vs a stock accord seal beam..if that is possible?

HondaBoy
03-28-2004, 08:21 AM
hey, i dont know if the saturn L300 sedan has the HIDs in it, but at different angles it looks like it. anyway, i had been thining my head lights were weak and dont shine much, but i've been noticing that my headlights are out doing most of the other cars on the road, including that saturn. and they will over do almost every car with the low mounted driving lights on. i'd say i wont be happy until i get an HID set up, but considering the price and that they are not street legal here, i'd better wait up on that. i'll try and get some pix of the driving lights. they are so much brighter now after i put 14 gauge wiring in it.