PDA

View Full Version : starter removal

martik
04-11-2003, 06:18 PM
The starter and solenoid are two cylindrical objects beside each other above the transmission. I can remove the starter by taking off the two long 10mm bolts but I cannot see how to remove the solenoid. Does anyone know how to do this?

IWLSF
04-11-2003, 07:07 PM
Nono, those bolts are holding the solenoid housing on, you dont want to remove that! Bolt that back on, or if it's too late, just leave it off, but be careful with the solenoid. There are two bolts holding the starter itself on. One is underneath the solenoid cover towards the back, and the other is on the top side, towards the front/upper part of the starter. The back one is fairly decent to find, but the upper one is a bitch due to the rubber hoses running in front of it. It'll require a long extension to get to. You'll have to get good lighting or just get lucky and spot it in a tiny crevice. It'll take a few minutes to find it, but it's there.

martik
04-11-2003, 08:36 PM
Thanks, I just got it out 30 mins ago. Getting that long extension thru the hoses was not too bad. Those brushes look like a nightmare to replace. Think I will just get a rebuild.

1988starter
04-11-2003, 09:41 PM
Aww comon I don''t wanna go

martik
04-11-2003, 10:17 PM
Maybe I will try to repair this starter.... I think it is a solenoid problem since the brushes still look ok and it just makes one loud click when the key is turned. I am not sure how to disassemble the solenoid. Anyone done this?

maxoutracer
04-12-2003, 01:55 AM
if u going though all this hassle fixing the solenoid i said go to the junk yard get a used one or go with rebuild start, the rebuild starter will last u for awhile...

IWLSF
04-12-2003, 05:41 AM
Rebuild costs about $70 up here with a 3 year warranty. Or get a lifetime one for like $140. I got the 3 year.

vojakd
03-03-2004, 08:40 PM
How do you remove the starter fropm the car?
thanks

MattsAccord
03-03-2004, 10:38 PM
There is 2 bolts on it remove them and bam your starter is out. Just make sure there the right ones there are 2 sets. One set holding the starter together and another holding it in place. hope this helps

cdscowboy
03-04-2004, 12:22 AM
they're the long ones....don't lose the washers on the wires.

soljaboy2000
09-23-2004, 09:08 PM
do the starter come out from the top of the engine....how long will it take?

MattsAccord
09-23-2004, 09:12 PM
Yeah it comes out the top, it take just a few minutes.

soljaboy2000
09-23-2004, 09:14 PM
okay what about the flywheel.......how hard and how long???

MattsAccord
09-23-2004, 09:19 PM
Well that is going to take a while. You have to take out the axles,tranny along with the starter. Then when the tranny is out you can get to the flywheel. You will mostly likey have to use air tools to take the flywheel off.

maka_RTH
09-23-2004, 11:52 PM
you could use a breaker bar too. the most annoying part is holding the flywheel in place with a screwdriver or something so you can break the nuts loose.

phoenxislayer15
01-22-2005, 11:46 AM
It would be great if someone could point me to a replacing starter HOW TO...

Mac
01-22-2005, 12:00 PM
Disconnect the battery. Remove nut on starter cable and remove cable. Disconnect wire on solenoid terminal. Remove 2 mounting bolts. Then pull starter out.

smufguy
01-22-2005, 12:34 PM
you are better off i you had a breaker bar and an extension, cause those bolts are a lil akward to reach and cant put much muscle to it unless you got a breaker bar.

phoenxislayer15
01-22-2005, 12:44 PM
I'm guessing by starter cable you mean where the positive terminal runs straight into the starter? Also, where is the solenoid terminal?

Mac
01-22-2005, 12:52 PM
I'm guessing by starter cable you mean where the positive terminal runs straight into the starter? Also, where is the solenoid terminal?

Yep. The solenoid wire is the smaller wire on the solenoid which is mounted on the top of the starter motor.

AccordNut
02-04-2005, 02:56 PM
just bought a mitsuba starter from autozone and im gonna put it in tomorrow, wanted to know if anyone has experience doing this so it can make my job a lil easier?

a side note, just ordered a new air temp. sensor as well, damn thing costs 60 bux! oh well, the bad one has cut my gas mileage in half and performance is lacking a lil so i cant wait to get it

2drSE-i
02-04-2005, 03:19 PM
Yea, i've got a new starter in my car

i paid someone to do it and it cost 300 bucks, but they also put in a new window motor and rewired the ignition killer

Mac
02-04-2005, 03:43 PM
Starter isn't that bad too change. Disconnect the battery. Pull off nut on solenoid that holds starter cable and remove cable. Pull off small wire on solenoid. Then there is only 2 bolts that hold starter on. Just remove them and pull starter off.

AccordNut
02-04-2005, 09:34 PM
woohooo its on! it was an absolute pain trying to get it off though b/c it sits directly above the tranny and underneath the distributor and about 5 hoses(that really got annoying to work around). It only had 1 mounting bolt which was surprising, but its on there tight. After i put it in i sat in my car, took a deep breath.....then turn the key, VROOOM! it hasnt started that well since i first got the car.

this site freakin rocks, ive been able to tackle so many projects by myself thanks to you guys (and gals) :rockon:

AccordEpicenter
02-04-2005, 09:50 PM
hmm your intake temp sensor is bad? How did you determine that?

Mac
02-05-2005, 05:44 AM
It only had 1 mounting bolt which was surprising, but its on there tight. After i put it in i sat in my car, took a deep breath.....then turn the key, VROOOM! it hasnt started that well since i first got the car.

The next time you are in a junkyard you should pick up the other mounting bolt and put it in.

2drSE-i
02-05-2005, 06:54 AM
sweet, i know the feeling
when my starter went bad i was really depressed for my car

it was just the ignition switch tho

it really sucked when i was going down may avenue and it just died.....

Mac
02-05-2005, 05:03 PM
Just finished replacing starter. You're right, the hoses do get in the way. I guess it always sounds easier than it really is. But over all it wasn't too bad. At least you don't have to lay on the ground like on alot of other cars.