PDA

View Full Version : Squealing belts

meangreenLXi
03-04-2004, 12:44 PM
I'm dying from the screamin squeal of my belts. When I start my car it's like Rodan's about to attack Godzilla. I got some belt dressing and your supposed to spray it on the underside of the belts. I'm not sure where the PS belts are but when waiting for the car to warm up. I can turn the wheel and it will either quiet the squeal or make it louder. I did have the rack replace in Jan and I had the Alt changed in Dec. I'm not sure which is the culprit but they are driving me batty. I know my neighbors are trainned to the tune of the early morning screach. I'm so monotanus that I'm usually out the door at the same time every morining. It seems like the belts that I sprayed weren't the proper ones. I sprayed the belts hooked up to the Alt and got them on the underside, but the squeal didn't settle down at all. i'm thinking the PS steering, does anyone know where that's located. I tugged at the Alt belts and they seem tight enough, about 1/2 inch in play.

Mike's89AccordLX
03-04-2004, 01:02 PM
Are your belts old? Usually belts that squeel are old or tightend too tight.

Blkblurr
03-04-2004, 02:00 PM
Belts are worn or loose. The squealing is coming from the belts slipping.

meangreenLXi
03-05-2004, 02:53 AM
Feb of 2003 I got new belts and the when I had the honda alternator put in back in december, he said the belts were fine. Unless I was tugging on the wrong belt possible it's too tight. I tested the belt that's right on the alternator.

Blkblurr
03-05-2004, 04:26 AM
If your belt is too tight it can cause early bearing failure of the device it's rotating. It will not cause a squeal. This is caused by slipping. New belts will get loose as they settle in. Check them again and tighten a little.

it's paid for
03-05-2004, 10:11 AM
. . . yeah, my belts used to squeal . . . I just replaced both of them and at first they were making noise . . . then I asked the same question, got the same response . . . tightened them up & then no more suqeal . . . must've taken me all of about four minutes . . .

meangreenLXi
03-07-2004, 03:37 AM
Now that it's not cold they squeal for about 15 seconds on the start up and it's fine, but on occassion it'll squeal as I turn a corner.

Blkblurr
03-07-2004, 07:12 PM
Now that it's not cold, go out and tighten them.

neoblue89lxi
03-07-2004, 07:32 PM
If it makes a noise while you are turning then it has got to be your power steering pump belt because turing the wheel puts more strain on the pump. This is what I have been told and it sounds like a good explination. The power steering pump is about the sixe of a soft ball and is at the front top right of the engine if you are looking at it from the front of the car. Make sure that belt is fine.

Blkblurr
03-07-2004, 07:37 PM
You are correct neoblue89lxi. It's the power steering pump belt. Turning does put more load on the pump especially if you turn it all the way to the stop.