PDA

View Full Version : My Car Overheated

mattalica
03-04-2004, 06:29 PM
Yesterday while I was running an errand for my boss my heater core hose blew! I don't know how long it was blown as I was on the freeway and my temp gauge doesn't work!Anyway,I noticed alot of steam pouring out of my engine bay about 2 blocks from work.I drove the 2 blks and stopped immediately.My engine was knocking,I know that is a sign of serious overheating,But not very bad.About as bad as it does on low octane fuel.So,I called AAA and had my baby towed home.My question is...should I be worried about head warpage or not?I haven't had a chance to look closely since I am really busy w/ work and when I get home it's dark.

accordlxi2.0
03-04-2004, 06:40 PM
umm. . .no.
i had a mercury cougar 3.8v6
and the 3.8 are known to blow HG's easily.
even when it over heat's and that what happened to me my car overheated really bad.
when i had my beretta it over heated, to tha point where tha gauge was stuck past h.
so i say no.
just fix tha hose and everything should be fine....

k-roy
03-04-2004, 06:48 PM
Oh man I just had the same problem. It ends up the heater hoses were original!
I was fortunate enough to catch it pretty quick and pull into a parking lot. I let it cool off and used some duct tape to patch it so I could get home. I went ahead and replaced all the damn hoses and clamps under the hood for the fuck of it.

Its hard to say if its warped or not. Just keep an eye on your coolant and oil and make sure they have not mixed. Or your car could blow out a ton of white smoke. I say you have a 50/50 shot of having a blown gasket.

mattalica
03-04-2004, 07:00 PM
Oh man I just had the same problem. It ends up the heater hoses were original!
I was fortunate enough to catch it pretty quick and pull into a parking lot.

Yeah I'm pretty sure that hose was original also.Never really thought about it til now though.I think I cought it in time but...we'll see.I started her up after she had cooled down to put her on the tow truck's bed and no white smoke.so..like I said we'll see.Cool thing is that The Home Depot,that's were I work,is going to pay for any repairs!Cool huh?

Blkblurr
03-04-2004, 07:31 PM
You may have damaged your waterpump. Some pump manufacturers use a plactic that is injected into the bearings to keep them in place. If it gets too hot the plastic melts and allows the bearings to move causing a failure within a few weeks.

cruznz
03-05-2004, 12:40 AM
....and get another temp gauge,so you can keep an eye on it.

86 barnstormer
03-07-2004, 10:55 AM
if their going to pay for it i'd have them replace the head gasket anyway. the space between 2 and 3 cylinder walls is small and that's usually where they eff up. i've replaced a few due to old hoses blowing out. so i highly recommend replacing all that are old. as they say cheap insurance.