PDA

View Full Version : everyone loves brakes

Ravenix
03-04-2004, 06:45 PM
i always wondered why my brakes were never very good, and now i know why.

i finally got around to takin my car into a brake joint. i took it to just breaks for a 4wheel friction realign.

well heres the verdict....

Front: both front rotors were so warped they ate the pads clean off and there was metal on metal for god knows how long. both front calipers were leaking the seals are about gone.

Rear: both rear drums are shot they are way below minimum thickness. the right wheel cylander exploded. and on the left apearently one off my shoes was completely gone, as in so sign of it.

there were a bunch of other things wrong with it.

they wanted around a grand to fix everything. when they told me that i told them to fuck themselves. they went ahead with the 4wheel friction and turned the front rotors and put new pads/shoes on all corners.

i took my car somewhere else to see what a family friend can do. and if he cant do itfor cheap im tossin the 3gee. the things done nothin but nickel and dime me since ive owned it.

Mac
03-04-2004, 06:55 PM
Yep you need brakes that's for sure. I just ordered all new parts for mine. I'm hoping that they get here by the weekend so I can do my brakes. It's not that really hard to do as long as you have everything that you need to replace. Hope your friend can help you out.

k-roy
03-04-2004, 06:58 PM
Thats exactly why I work on my own shit. You can save shitloads of money while buying the parts and tools along the way. I can get new calipers, rotors and pads for $150 and have them in in a couple of hours. Rear drums can be done for half that. Oh yea I hate waiting on mechanics as well.

SteveDX89
03-04-2004, 06:58 PM
Damn, that's pretty shitty. All that could have been prevented with routine maintenance though.

Ravenix
03-04-2004, 07:09 PM
ive only had the car a year and only pt 5k miles on it, i have and exploded wheel cylander and calipers that need to be rebuilt /replaced and drums that are way to thin. all i did was put new pads on it and turn the rotors and it stops a million times better than it did when i bought it, i really wish the previos owner had done some routine maintanence, then i prolly wouldnt have punched a hole in the block doin 85 either.

Ravenix
03-04-2004, 07:11 PM
and if gettin a brake job numerous times in a year is routine im glad im gettin rid of my 3gee

mattalica
03-04-2004, 07:15 PM
Dude gotta agree w/ Kroy and Steve.I had a similar problem w/ my brakes no leaking or blown stuff but my pads were as thin as dimes and my rotors were warped.I had never done brakes before and I tackled the job w/ afriend of mine and it took a total of about 1 1/2 hours.All new rotors and pads cost me about $150 and then I had to go to a mechanic to have him remove the screws that hold on the rotor($30)
.You'll need an impact for that.Not the pneumatic but the kind u hit w/ a hammer.U can get that a home depot tool corral for about $20.Anyway no matter what you drive u need to do maintenance and if u call that nickel and dime u are in for it.But I feel u on that cuz it's allways something w/ my car but I love my baby!

SteveDX89
03-04-2004, 07:15 PM
I didn't know you only put that many miles on the car. I would say in that case, it's not your fault. That's what sucks about buying used cars. You never know how well it's taken care of unless the previous owner kept records. I hope you can get it fixed and stay part of the 3geez community.

Ravenix
03-04-2004, 07:20 PM
i will prolly get fixed, but i am definatly getting rid of it, and i will definatly stay since i may be getting a crx and some of you here can help me with that and the b16 im droppin in it if i get one. it either that or a miata, i want somethin small i can autox in that is newer and has a better aftermarket.

and it will be nice, im joinin the airforce, will be livin and eatin for free, and i will have a shop and all the tools i can shake a stick at. you can rent bays its awesome.

and by nickel and diming i mean the 2grand ive had to invest in it to keep it running.