PDA

View Full Version : Interior Dash Lights - Heater Control Panel

arrowz
03-04-2004, 08:27 PM
I'm trying to get all the dash lights working in my 1988 Accord DX 4-Door. Does anyone know if the center vent just pops out or do I have to pull the whole dash to get to the bulbs behind the red/blue heat slider? I'd like to know before I start prying and breaking...*smile*

k-roy
03-04-2004, 08:48 PM
Remove the lower panel under the buttons first.
I believe its held in place by a few screws, no need to pry.
I replaced mine over 2 years ago so I don't remember clearly.

AccordArizona89
03-04-2004, 09:10 PM
i broke mine on accident. taking trip to junkyard next weekend lol

87AccordsterLx
03-05-2004, 03:52 PM
Moved-> To the Tech Section... You should get more views/replies here. :)

Welcome to the Site!

'89AccordLX(Rus)
03-06-2004, 05:45 PM
Ok, removing the slider knobs is the first order of business and probably the hardest. Get some pliers and a medium-thick towel. Wrap the towel around the pliers so they don't gouge anything. Firmly grasp one of the slider knobs and pull with moderate pressure toward yourself. Rotate the knob slightly left and right. It should eventually pop off (brace yourself or you might end up in the back seat :D) Repeat the procedure on the second knob. The key to removing these lies in resisting the temptation to wrench at the knobs like a mad man. It took me about 15 minutes to take them off. Once you take them off, find two slots underneath the temp/fan panel and pry it off with a screwdriver or even your finger nail. There is one connector going to it, unplug it. There are two lights installed in the simple circuitboard on the back of the panel. Use a flathead scredriver to rotate their holders and pull them out. Very often the bulbs are still good, but the contact areas and bulb contacts are oxidized. I have tried cleaning mine to no avail. Your best bet is to get a bunch of these bulbs with the holders from the junk yard and test them out. Last resort would be getting them from a dealer or some other source. I chose to convert mine to LED operation. If you are careful enough, you can even reuse the stock bulb holders. To take out the button console, you first need to remove two screws right underneath its front lip. After that, you can slide the whole unit out (careful here, it may get stuck so just back off a bit and retry again. It should come out eventually.). The lights in this unit are of two types. The function indicators are lighted by LEDs that can be easily resoldered if need be by simply taking off the plastic covers and using a soldering iron. The backlighting is provided by two or three normal bulbs. One is installed into the bottom of the unit, one is installed in the back of it, another may be installed in the A/C control module. The center vent can be popped out, however you need to take the gauge cluster hood off first. To do so, pry off the plastic cover on the hood close to the windshield. There are going to be two screws there, remove them. Carefully pry out the retractor/dimmer/defrost switch combo and disconnect all three connectors. Remove the power mirror switch and the sunroof switch(if equipped) in a similar fashion. Once those are out, you should see several Phillips head screw heads behind them. Remove the screws. After this, you should be able to easily lift out the gauge cluster hood. With it out of the way, use a screwdriver to pry the center vent forward. It is somewhat hard to remove, but it is still held in with clips on either side of it. With moderate persistence, it should pop out. There is a cable in the back of it(if you have the air mix lever). It can be dsiconnected if needed. Installation is basically the reverse of the removal.

Hope this helps.

johnwc723
03-06-2004, 09:31 PM
straight thanks man, im going to yank out that sucker too pretty soon as im replacing every single last incadescent bulb in my car with blue leds :) i got everything done except the heater console! (cruise control and dimmer switch area as well as gauge cluster is done)

is my BLUE->RED slider thing supposed to light up at night? i thought it did and it dosent seem to anymore......

'89AccordLX(Rus)
03-07-2004, 10:51 AM
The temperature/fan controls not only light up, but they should also light up little dots in the slider knobs. Each knob has a clear plastic piece that allows light from the panel lights to travel through the knob. Honda thought of everything. :)

johnwc723
03-07-2004, 05:27 PM
crap i think mine is messed... hehe