PDA

View Full Version : What the Hell is this thing?

troutz15
03-05-2004, 04:20 PM
MY 89 lx has a warped head and needs new belts. I have the head, its awaiting installation. I really want to do it myself, but i need to set the valves and find a head gasket also. Does anyone know if any companies make aftermarket valve covers for the a20a1 carbed engine? And one of my belts that needed replacing is supposed to be attached to a thing that looks like the alternator but it isnt. It's right under the power steering pump i think. Whats it called? The bolt that holds it in place came out and i gotta put it back in, but i dont know how the hell to get to it cuz i dont know what it is to look it up in the manual. Help!

A20A1
03-05-2004, 04:44 PM
Thats the A/C compressor

troutz15
03-05-2004, 05:34 PM
Ok so thats the A/C Compressor. That would explain why the A/C never worked when i got the car. My parents told me that it needed a new head and timing belt, but i noticed that the compressor wasnt attached. Can the car actually run without the compressor hooked up?

Elijah
03-05-2004, 06:06 PM
ya it sure can runs better without it

Not like a rock
03-06-2004, 02:22 PM
Yeah, that AC will just soak up power. Do yourself a favor and leave the belt off.

88' ACCORD LX-i
03-08-2004, 12:31 AM
I have an 88' LX-i and my a/c went out, so i took out the whole a/c system up to the fire wall. the thing had to be over fifty lbs of dead weight, it also took up alot of space. you could do that, put it on a self and if you sell the car put it back. :dunno: it's up to you.

goldadition
03-09-2004, 07:04 PM
do you mean the valve cover gaskets? or the actual cover?
why do you want a new cover is the old one dented or something?
when you say set the valves do you mean seat?

k-roy
03-09-2004, 07:22 PM
The valve stem seals are not too hard to put in place with the right tools. After that you need to adjust the gap on the valves, check the howto section for that

troutz15
03-09-2004, 08:30 PM
Thats waht i mean. the old head is warped along with the head itself. it cant be shaved. but i've already got the new head so i doesnt matter. i just need a head gasket and to set the gap on the valves. what tools will i need? and what year civics are 2 door ex coupes with dual-cam vtec engines? im buying one to to a swap.