PDA

View Full Version : Want to paint back bumper - Cant remove!

JakeEXLS
03-06-2004, 03:43 AM
:help:

Ok, i have searched for:
Removing Back Bumper
Removing Rear Bumper
Removing Fender
Removing Bumper
and one or two other things, and unless ive overlooked somthing, i cant find how to remove it!

I want to take it off to paint it because the blacks gone milky grey and the white has scratches on it, and i dont want to mask it on the car because im going to take my time and its my only car, so i want to drive it...

any help please? even if its just a friendly link to somewhere?

Thanks Guys!

sporkHSP
03-06-2004, 08:19 AM
the bumper should be held on by screws in the wheel wells and along the top, underneath where the trunk comes down... you might have to play it by ear and slide it off some brackets afterwards, but it should be those screws...
undo the ones you can see and then test to see where it feels like its still attached, thats where the slide brackets will be and maybe some hidden screws.
its gunna take some testing before you get it off...

JakeEXLS
03-08-2004, 02:25 PM
Cheers for ideas spork, but the screws where the trunk comes down had nothing really to do with it, and im glad of that beacuse my were all rusted and when i did try to remove them, i couldnt because they were all rusty. You were right about the wheel well screws though!
:cheers:
After a bit of playing around i found out how to do it.
First, remove the mudflaps from the wheel arch and leave the screws out. Then, under the back there shoud be 2 or 3 bolts on each side. Take out the two closest to the back of the car. The third one in my case, is the main one that hols the towbar on. After removing all these, the bumper should pull directly back, with a bit of force. If it gets stuck, give it a good tug on each side near the wheel arch.

(Just incase anyone wanted to know!)

Post pics later

Reason for doing this is that i want to re-black the black strip on the bumper, and re white the white bit. Again will post pics.

sporkHSP
03-08-2004, 05:06 PM
glad you got it off... i havent removed mine, i just remembered seeing the screws there, so i figured id suggest you look at those. glad i could help a little. (this is when i wish we had a smiley that patted itself on the back) :)

JakeEXLS
03-09-2004, 08:23 PM
http://www34.brinkster.com/tazzle/3Geez/NoBumper1.jpg
Heres the picture. You can see the two square holes in the back - Thats where the brackets slide into and have bolts that come up from underneath. Then there are just the screws in the wheel well that are also holding the mudflaps on...