PDA

View Full Version : Valve Cover - Oil Leak

PsychoPaul
03-06-2004, 12:28 PM
Sorry if i post this in the wrong section.

The Story:
For a while now i have been driving my car and some smoke has been coming from the hood. At first i didn't really think anything of it. Thought i was just because i was playing rough with it. Anyway. Noticed it again a few times after that. Again didn't think much of it. Then today i said to myself "Lets check it out". Poped the hood open. reved the engine up to heat the engine. Little white smoke started coming out. Looked at the engine. Lots of residue oil just above the exaust header (i think thats what its called, where it joins the 4 exaust to 2 etc). So i grabbed a rag. cleaned the top of the header from all the oil. Ran the car again. Nothing at first. rev the car really high for a second. Still nothing. Rev a little hight between 5000 and 6000 rpm for about 10 seconds. Look at the engine a little leak from the valve cover.

The Questions:
how do i remove the valve cover? From what i have searched in this forum. It seems like its 3 screws. but i have also seen some say 5 to 7. So i'm not 100% sure now. Is the valve cover easy to remove for a noob like me? and what do i have to pay attention to when removing it? What parts should i order to replace the gasket? and while i'm at it what else should i do? Also how can i check to make sure i don't have any other leaks as i would like to reduce them as much as possible. i have had the oil light come on a few times when the engine has been running for a while at highway speeds.

My Goal:
I don't want to spend lots of money replacing this and that. All i want is for the car to last me till the end of summer/fall. As this car has plenty of rust and i will not be keeping it.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Mac
03-06-2004, 01:43 PM
Valve cover gasket is very simple. There are 3 crown nuts on top of cover. Remove them. Pull the cover off. If you have trouble you can pull the upper timing belt cover (2 bolts) off to help. Clean both the valve cover and engine really well before installing new gasket. You might want to get new washers and grommets (cheap) also. When you put it back together torque to 7 ft. lbs.

PsychoPaul
03-06-2004, 02:32 PM
Doh i was hopeing i would not need a torque wrench... is it possible to do it without that?

Oh does anyone have the part number or know where i can get them?

Another question. what can i use to clean off the old gasket incase it gets stuck on? Would a simple putty knife do it?

neoblue89lxi
03-06-2004, 04:54 PM
I just hand tightened mine and I've had no problems or leaks for the past year.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
03-06-2004, 05:06 PM
Doh i was hopeing i would not need a torque wrench... is it possible to do it without that?

Oh does anyone have the part number or know where i can get them?

Another question. what can i use to clean off the old gasket incase it gets stuck on? Would a simple putty knife do it?

The valve cover gasket is basically a formed rubber strip, it shouldn't stick to the engine. The gasket and new grommets are sold at autozone as a kit for around $8 bucks. Very cheap and it works. When I changed mine, I used denatured alcohol to clean up the mating surfaces. Also, you can remove the cover very easily if you put two fingers into the oil fill hole and pull on that. Works like a charm. There should only be three crown nuts to remove(on carburated models there are two extra ones for the airbox support). As mentioned before, you may want to take off the plastic timing belt cover on the driver side of the engine. It is held on by two 10mm bolts slightly below the top of the head (look for two bolt heads on the sides of the cover). While you have the valve cover off, you may want to check the valve clearences (this task may be a little too complicated though). Once you clean everything up, insert the gasket into the valve cover groove and install the new grommets, lower the valve cover onto the engine block, hand tighten the crown nuts with your fingers. Then tighten them EQUALLY either with a torque wrench (check out Pep-Boys for really cheap ones) or very carefully with a normal wrench. Do not try to tighten the crap out of them though, they need to be tight, but not to the breaking point. Overtightening may distort the cover and cause another leak. Reinstall the timing belt cover and test out the car. :)

P.S.: If you do decide to buy a torque wrench, get one that has the desired value as a mid-range, otherwise it may be inaccurate.

P.P.S.: Go to http://www.partsamerica.com (Advance Autoparts/Checker)

Enter the following in the search bar:
The valve cover gasket part number: 0361303
Price:$7.48

Valve cover grommets part number: 0396356
Price: $3.77

Hope this helps.

PhydeauX
03-06-2004, 05:23 PM
Buy the oem gasket. Its a bit more expensive, but its of much better quality. I had valve cover leak problems from day 1 after I installed a felpro gasket. I replaced the gasket, tryed gasket and permatex, tryed strait permatex, replaced the valve cover, it always leaked. I finaly broke down and paid the $12 or what ever for an oem gasket and it hasn't leaked sense.

andy

PsychoPaul
03-07-2004, 04:50 PM
Thanx people. i will get the parts this week. and install it. thanks again for all the info!!!

lightbulblxi
03-07-2004, 05:03 PM
if the valve cover wont come off, hit it with a rubber mallet a couple of times, to unstick it