PDA

View Full Version : Can't get the goddamned radio out!

thegreatdane
03-07-2004, 04:25 AM
I just got a new Accord, and it has something that looks like a radio thats been there since it was sold from the dealer. It's a "Blaupunkt" radio. I removed the screw that it had on the back end and thought I could remove it, but it's pretty damn stuck... It's got 2 small holes in each side of the front panel. I thought it might be somekind of lock-mechanism so i tried pushing in 4 thick and hard wires that fitted the holes while I pushed it from the back but still stuck!! How do i get it out? :help:

BMS
03-07-2004, 09:07 PM
Sometimes there are "keys" that you need to get it out. Like you said, it might be a lock, in which case you need the key.

lightbulblxi
03-07-2004, 09:14 PM
use a crowbar and sawzall, rust me, itll come out.

thegreatdane
03-08-2004, 05:27 AM
I'd like to keep the dashboard intact... but thats probably going to be the end of it, if no good suggestions comes up.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
03-09-2004, 05:25 PM
The two sets of holes are in fact for the locking mechanism. As per one of my Haynes manuals, you can use strong wire to push in the locking mechanism, then push outward on the wires and extract the unit. If it went in, it must come out. You can also buy the lock tools which basically look like a wire bent in a U-shape.

P.S.: The manual also states that you can feel the internal clips release.

Hope this helps.

DBMaster
03-09-2004, 06:39 PM
I removed a factory Ford radio that had that same small hole arrangement. I put one appropriate sized nail into each hole to release the clips. Works nearly as well as the actual tools intended for the job!

DanLXI88
03-09-2004, 08:08 PM
If you got it recently Drive it up to the dealership and talk to one of the mechanics up there and find out. It may be " Like Fords" But special... Just an idea.

Also they may be able to give you a heads up as to any precautions that you may need to take upon installing your new head unit like maybe it has a factory amp.

thegreatdane
03-16-2004, 06:31 AM
I found out that it was a locking mechanism, but one of the locking clips wouldn't release when you pushed in the wire, thats why it wouldnt move. Luckily I could get behind and underneith the radio with a screwdriver and push in the clip, but I got a couple of scratches in the face and on the hands trying to look up behind the radio from the drivers side with the pedals in my neck and what not :beat: But I got it out :)

DanLXI88
03-16-2004, 02:37 PM
:cheers: WTG man!

HondaBoy
03-19-2004, 11:34 PM
hey, my kenwood stereo i put in my 3gee wont come out. the little "cage" it goes in has those little tabs you flip up so it doesnt come out. well, im not having luck getting that out. thats one reason i havent put in a new stereo. im thinking i may have to take the dash off and go behind and push the tabs down. i dont guess i have much to worry about it getting stolen eh? well unless the tear the dash apart.

thegreatdane
03-20-2004, 01:20 AM
If you remove the center console you might be able to get to some of the tabs with a screwdriver. Or try forcing it out. If you remove the ashtray you can get a small pole with a 90 degree bend on the end of the pole, to the back of the radio and then just pull as hard as you can.

dXsquared
03-20-2004, 08:59 AM
have you taken the actual deck out Honda Boy?? use two butter knives on the sides, push em in and slide the deck out... then you can bend all the tabs up

Travis