PDA

View Full Version : Drivers side parking brake won't engage

Blkblurr
03-07-2004, 07:27 PM
I decided to work on my parking brake because it hasn't worked in a while. I pulled the wheels off and deternined that the mechanism that rotates the brake cam was stuck on both rear brakes. Once I got them freed up I pulled the parking brake lever to see if they worked. The passenger side worked fine but the drivers side would not stop the wheel from rotating. I got a socket and turned the cam that engages the brake until it finally stopped the wheel. It was as far as it would turn before the wheel stopped. Much more turning on this side was needed to get this wheel to stop. The mechanism now rotates freely so I don't have a sticking problem. I ckecked the tension of the cables and they are ok. It seems like the cam that rotates and pushes the calipers closed is not pushing far enough to stop the wheel. The brakes work fine when you push on the brake pedal. Has anyone had this problem and fixed it?

cruznz
03-07-2004, 08:34 PM
you may need to adjust it up at the equaliser,or its possible you may have a stretched cable

Blkblurr
03-07-2004, 08:40 PM
I already checked the equalizer and the cable tension. All look ok. I can't get the brake to engage unless I use a socket to rotate it at the brake itself and it only engages at the very end of rotation of the socket.

cruznz
03-07-2004, 09:33 PM
is it possible that the cable lever on the caliper has shifted position due to being seized

cruznz
03-07-2004, 09:47 PM
ok...i quickly ducked out to have a play with a spare i had,....with cam adjusted back in, operating cable lever, you should see the cam start to make its way out as you operate it several times, if this isn't the case then theres a problem with the adjuster inside the cam

Blkblurr
03-08-2004, 04:06 AM
I thought about that and played with it several times. I cycled the lever about 20 times. This is how I determined that it only engages the brake when the cam is at it's furthest travel point. The brake adjuster works fine. I backed off the brake cylinder by screwing in the cylinder end that presses on the brake pad and then pressed on the brakes. They went to the floor the first time and after that they felt normal. The pad wear is also the same on both wheels. Thanks for your effort playing with the spare brake.

cruznz
03-08-2004, 04:17 PM
no prob....did you get it sorted?

Blkblurr
03-08-2004, 04:30 PM
no prob....did you get it sorted?

Not yet. Had to put it back together so I could go to work. I have one wheel working though. Thanks

cruznz
03-08-2004, 04:40 PM
only other thing i can think of is maybe a cable bracket has become detached causing it to flex

Blkblurr
03-08-2004, 06:12 PM
I suspect it's in the cam and piston. Have to take it apart to find out.

cruznz
03-08-2004, 06:19 PM
i'd be interested to know what you find as you say the adjuster works fine when you cycle the cable lever and piston starts to extend

Blkblurr
03-09-2004, 08:50 AM
i'd be interested to know what you find as you say the adjuster works fine when you cycle the cable lever and piston starts to extend

The adjuster works by pressing on the brake pedal. If I rotate the nut on top of the cam as far as it will go, the brake grabs. I only have to rotate the other side a small amount to get the brake to grab.

cruznz
03-09-2004, 06:40 PM
you'll also find the brakes adjust as you cycle the cable lever, so i gather you think the fault may be with the cam?

Blkblurr
03-09-2004, 06:47 PM
Sounds like it but I'll know more when I take it apart. I'll let you know what I find.