PDA

View Full Version : Easiest way to remove the transmission?

thegreatdane
03-08-2004, 07:16 AM
Take the whole engine out or just the transmission? It looks pretty crowded down there if your going to remove just the transmission... Is it possible to get to all the bolts on the tranny when the engine is still in?

86LXItooFAST4me
03-08-2004, 07:38 AM
Take the whole engine out or just the transmission? It looks pretty crowded down there if your going to remove just the transmission... Is it possible to get to all the bolts on the tranny when the engine is still in?

ive never done it before and i need this info as well, i was thinking(since i just took my head off and got a good look at the bottom end of the engine) it looks like it might be easier to pull the whole power house out with tranny, looks pretty simple to do but again, im about to learn the hard way.

shepherd79
03-08-2004, 08:01 AM
it is very easy to do without pulling the engine out.
the best way to remove it is to take out the rear engine mount and and the backbone (attached to firewall). this will allow the engine to move back and down a little, make sure you have some kind support under the engine just in case.
pull out the axels and pull the tranny.

Vinny
03-08-2004, 08:05 AM
I just changed out my tranny a few weeks ago and am going to be doing it again here in a few weeks. Long story, but its all good. I think which is easier depends on what facilities you have to work with. We have an auto hobby shop here on base complete with lifts, air tools, tranny jacks, and a few other tools. For me the tranny alone was the easiest to do. I figure about 4-5 hrs to get it done the first time should be less this time. Theres a how-to for changing the clutch, its explains pulling the tranny. Theres also a "quick" way to yank the engine and tranny. Check them both out and see which one you feel more comfortable with. You can get to all the bolts with the engine and tranny in the car.

thegreatdane
03-08-2004, 08:55 AM
Ok, thanks fellas! I'm glad i dont have to pull the whole engine because that's a kinda slow process... Im converting it from auto to 5 speed. But what is the shift rod pin? The howto says it needs replacement. I know what the shift rod is, but the pin? Is it somekind of bushing or why does it have to be replaced?
And if anyone knows, then why is it necessary to resurface the flywheel?

Mike's89AccordLX
03-08-2004, 09:56 AM
Yeah it's not too hard to remove just the tranny. I dropped the tranny in a 90 Toyota Celica at school last week, replaced the clutch, got the flywheel resurfaced, installed a new shift fork, and put new tires on. It took a friend and I 3 days total to do it b/c since we're in school our instructor has to approve everything (it gets annoying, but it's good to know that we're doing it right.) Oh and we only have like 2 to 4 actual hours to work on stuff in school b/c we have to go in our class too.

It's necessary to resurface the flywheel b/c sometimes your clutch will scuff or scratch the surface of the flywheel. Look for any blueing on the surface too, if you see any get it resurfaced. It's not very expensive to resurface a flywheel so it's just something that should be done.

AccordEpicenter
03-08-2004, 10:19 AM
there is no shift rod pin, thats mostly in civic and teg trannys, accords dont have them its just a few bolts holding the linkage in. If youre good you can do a clutch in one of these in less than 2 hours... maybe even less if you really know how to do it. Resurfacing the flywheel isnt absolutley nessescery but if you do have bluing or grooves in the flywheel surface then you really should (like mike says). I didnt have it done on my flywheel when i put it together but i did have it chatter for a while as it was being broken in.