PDA

View Full Version : Strange engine noise

meangreenLXi
03-08-2004, 12:12 PM
Last week after changing my oil out, my car began to make a strange noise. I sounds like when you put a baseball card on your bicycle spokes. It makes that noise when i accelerate. It's suttle, but it's there. My car is usually very quiet.

Also it sounds like I switched gas grades. Once i switched from 89 octane to 87 to save money because the gas prices were skyrocketing. When I switched there was a noticable difference in the way the engine sounded when it idled. To me it made my engine sound like a diesel engine.

My car was very quiet, these two sounds that its makin now isn't very loud but it is annoying wondering what's the problem with my engine, any suggestions.

shepherd79
03-08-2004, 01:10 PM
take it to a honda certified mechanic.

Justin86
03-08-2004, 08:20 PM
or since you just lowered the octane for you gas when the problem happen I bet it might have something to do with that.

Moodybluesr
03-08-2004, 11:40 PM
Could very well be valves... how long has it been since you checked your valve clearances? My valves were making a little noise until I checked clearances last week while I was changing the timing belt.

meangreenLXi
03-09-2004, 04:32 AM
I haven't checked the valve height. When I changed the octane, that was only for one tank full and I went back to the 89 becasue of the way it made the car sound. I figured the 89 was just better for it because it has to make the car run smoother.

Legend-H-88
03-09-2004, 06:47 AM
well at first i would say just try a few things, just to diagnose your problem.

1 - i would use a socket extension and putit to my ear and hold the other end to to a stud on the vavlve cover. ( if its the lifters youll hear it loud and clear, would sound like a loud tapping or slapping sound) just try all 3 studs and see if the noise changes as you work all of them.

2 - i might back a degree or 2 of timing out of my distributor, maybe its just detonation, due to trash or bad gas (if its gas it will sound like valves rattling when you accelerate up hill etc.

3 - worse case senario - conrod bearings. - while the car is sitting still reve the engine between 2700 RPM and 3500 RPM if the sound gets worseor is very aparrently clear, you know its the conrod bearings ( would sound like a rat tat tat tat tat tat - really fast) And if it is the bearings the ywill cost around 8.65 a half and you need 2 halves per cylinder from honda. or could use acl, federal mogul, clevit etc.

hope that helps in any way....

86LXItooFAST4me
03-09-2004, 07:58 AM
have you checked you exhaust gaskets?? the noise you described sounds like an exhaust leak maybe.