PDA

View Full Version : car won't start after sitting 5minutes?

othick
03-08-2004, 01:21 PM
When I go out to my car in the morning or after it's been sitting a while it starts fine and runs good. For some reason twice after letting it sit for 5 minutes the car wouldn't start, it just turns over. If you wait about 5 or 10 minutes it will start again. It's only done this twice but today I drove to circle k and when I went back out to my car it wouldn't start. I tried starting it about once every 2 minutes and it would just turn over. On about my 5th try it started and ran fine. I then drove it to the machine shop to drop off some parts and I went back out to my car and it wouldn't start again. The guy who worked there said since it's hot today maybe I have vapor lock in my fuel rail? So I poured some cold water on the fuel rail and it started. I've heard of this but never experienced it. Could this be true? Has anyone had any problems like this before?

edit- sorry I just realized I should have put this in efi tech.

smufguy
03-08-2004, 02:00 PM
well 99% of the time, your efi wont start up on a hot day due to the main relay, pull the main relay out and resolder all the terminals on the bottom and put it back and it will run fine. NO mo probs. :werd:

AccordEpicenter
03-08-2004, 03:11 PM
main relay or coolant temp sensor(s)

zero.counter
03-08-2004, 03:47 PM
Sound like it could be ignition as well. Make sure that there is no arcing and the cap/rotor assembly is dry. Also, clean the contacts on the the battery terminals. Just a suggestion...

AZmike
03-08-2004, 05:01 PM
My car had hot starting problems until I replaced my coolant temperature sensor.

AccordEpicenter
03-08-2004, 10:30 PM
id say thats the most likely culprit

othick
03-09-2004, 01:08 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. There is a pull your part right near me with at least 5 3g's so parts are basically free. I'll try the coolant temp sensor first.

o.k. I just checked the manual to find out where the temp sensor is and it's very vauge. Is it one of the two sensors sitting in the water outlet next to the distributor?

Moodybluesr
03-09-2004, 01:30 AM
http://www.markl.f9.co.uk/howto/electrical/main-relay/main-relay.htm

This page should be in everybody's favorites.

88LXi/87CRXSi
03-09-2004, 10:49 AM
Is it one of the two sensors sitting in the water outlet next to the distributor?

Yes, it's the slightly smaller one, closest to the head.

AccordEpicenter
03-09-2004, 02:28 PM
there is also one in the radiator i think

othick
03-09-2004, 03:21 PM
sounds good, I'll replace the main relay too while I'm at it. Thanks for your help.

AZmike
03-09-2004, 03:24 PM
there is also one in the radiator i think

That's just a temperature switch that controls the raditor fan.

othick
03-09-2004, 11:30 PM
Az mike, do you auto-x your car? I've seen an accord sedan at the auto-x a few times. I noticed you live in Tucson also, thought maybe that might be you.

johnwc723
03-10-2004, 02:09 PM
where is the main relay anyways? i kinda want to do it... anyone whos done it have like a quite exact spot that it is (my floor is dirty...)

88LXi/87CRXSi
03-10-2004, 02:48 PM
where is the main relay anyways? i kinda want to do it... anyone whos done it have like a quite exact spot that it is (my floor is dirty...)
The red thing that the white plug is connected to is the bottom of the main relay. You'll see it once you remove the coinbox. I used a long screwdriver to disconnect the plug, then used a 10mm socket?, with enough extension lenght to get to the other side of the streering column. Oh, and notice that black foam on the duct going to the vent, on mine it had sorta rotted and was really oily, greasey, nasty. Cover your carpet too, just in case

AZmike
03-10-2004, 03:14 PM
Az mike, do you auto-x your car? I've seen an accord sedan at the auto-x a few times. I noticed you live in Tucson also, thought maybe that might be you.

Yeah, I've been a few times. The accord you saw was green, right?

othick
03-11-2004, 12:36 AM
Thanks for the pic, I was trying to find it today myself.

Yeah I think it was green, I'm a little color blind but if it was you it's a small world. I was either driving a black turbo tacoma or a white 77 celica with a supra engine.

AZmike
03-11-2004, 09:18 AM
I've seen the Tacoma, but I don't remember the Celica.

Coitis1
03-11-2004, 10:34 AM
check your main relay. I had the same problem, after replacing the relay, it never happnened agian.

pixiesfan78
03-12-2004, 09:40 PM
mycarbureted 87 lx does that to is it the same problem the main relay?

A20A1
03-12-2004, 10:08 PM
Also try taking out the key and puting it back in, or jiggle it around in the key hole... I've had restarting problems and found that seemed to solve it... I'm not sure if I'll ever get around to replacing the ignition switch or i might just wire it to a button.

NeubJ
03-13-2004, 10:26 AM
Did you find out what was causing it?
My car kinda does the same thing-It's getting annoying.

pixiesfan78
03-14-2004, 12:26 PM
so a few people say its the main relay under the dash. theres other opinions as well . my carbureted lx does that but i also cannot drive the car till its completly warm or it will die and then i cant start it for like 5 minutes is it the main relay under my dash or is it different for carbureted.

johnwc723
03-14-2004, 07:46 PM
oh wow dude thanks for the pic!! im gonna do that biach right away i get it bein mean in the summer sometime!!

smufguy
03-14-2004, 09:41 PM
so a few people say its the main relay under the dash. theres other opinions as well . my carbureted lx does that but i also cannot drive the car till its completly warm or it will die and then i cant start it for like 5 minutes is it the main relay under my dash or is it different for carbureted.

a carb does not have a main relay, only the efi does. So for the carb, ask the carb guys :D