PDA

View Full Version : bad rottin egg smell

jaminjames
03-08-2004, 05:13 PM
i have a 1989 honda accord and it has a bad smell to it . i have replaced the converter it has a new carb on it..

neoblue89lxi
03-08-2004, 05:15 PM
A fume type smell coming from the engine or a moldy smell from the interior? Must be more specific.

jaminjames
03-08-2004, 05:17 PM
i have a 1989 honda accord and it has a bad smell to it . i have replaced the converter it has a new carb on it..
when the car is running after about 20 min then it starts smelling like bad eggs

neoblue89lxi
03-08-2004, 05:27 PM
Does the smell come from the vents? When the heat or ac is on?

jaminjames
03-08-2004, 05:33 PM
No It Comes From The Under The Car

neoblue89lxi
03-08-2004, 05:40 PM
It might be a power steering leak from the rear of the engine onto the exhaust pipes. Or it could be that a little critter decided to crawl up somewhere under your car and died.

jaminjames
03-08-2004, 05:45 PM
i had it checked for that, someone told me it could be that my carb is not set right and the mixture is messed up,,,

Vinny
03-08-2004, 05:47 PM
Science lesson for the day...............

"So what is that awful smell? It's hydrogen sulfide or H2S. It does not exist in the fuel or oil, which is why you can't smell it at the gas station. It does, however, come from the gasoline. Almost all gasoline contains organic sulfur compounds with sulfur levels ranging from 30 to 100 parts per million, approximately.

"As the fuel burns, the organic sulfur compounds break down into simpler compounds. If the engine is running lean (more air than is needed to burn the fuel), the sulfur is likely to be SO2, or sulfur dioxide. The catalytic converter can change this into SO3 (sulfur trioxide), which then reacts with the catalyst to form sulfates on the catalyst. Over several minutes there is a build up of sulfates. If the engine suddenly starts to run rich (not enough air to burn all the fuel), such as when you stop at a red light, climb a steep hill, or brake hard to slow down, the chemistry changes. Now the sulfates are unstable and they react to form hydrogen sulfide, which is expelled from the exhaust pipe all at once. The high concentration is the reason for the bad smell! This effect is a common problem with new vehicles because the catalyst is working at a very high efficiency. However, as the catalyst gets older, the activity drops. Fortunately for us, one of the first reactions to be affected is the formation of hydrogen sulfide. So as the catalyst gets older, the smell will go away. It should also be noted that many catalysts never smell bad. One reason might be because the vehicle doesn't run lean for much of the time, or perhaps the catalyst has an extra component that reduces the production of hydrogen sulfide.

jaminjames
03-08-2004, 05:55 PM
i replaced the old converter cause i thought it was that ,but it smells so bad my kids would even get in the car ,and before it warms up it runs like shit,at red light it will shakeso bad i think the hood is coming off,lol,, i started a room on www.paltalk.com called 3geez honda's , its under sports and hobbies , paltalk is where we can get on mic and talk to each other ashoot the shit, check it out and download paltalk

FoX
03-08-2004, 06:00 PM
I have had that happen too... guess what it was? believe it or not the battery had been getting overcharged and was venting sulfuric gas.... smelled like a sewer duct until i replaced battery and alternator