PDA

View Full Version : aftermarket steering wheel

original2k
03-09-2004, 07:30 AM
just wondering what kinda aftermarket steering wheels work for our car, i don't know much about steering wheels, but i've taken mine off before and i know there just like a wiring harness and a big 19mm bolt, does any1 know if steering wheels are universal for honda's? i wanted to get a ctr or itr wheel and need some info, any help is always appreciated, thanks

Mike's89AccordLX
03-09-2004, 09:27 AM
I have a 91 Prelude Si steering wheel if you want to buy that. It has the cruise control buttons too. It's the Y type of wheel.

crwa
03-09-2004, 10:57 AM
You are willing to spend $500 for a ctr/itr steering wheel? One would probably fit, but you can always use a sparco or momo wheel, and both have hubs that will fit our cars.

I picked up an APC wheel yesturday, and have a hub and spacer coming for it in a few days.

The only problem you may have is getting the horn to work. You will have to play with the wiring and you will have to give up cruise control or rewire the switch onto the new wheel. If you never use it then just forget about wiring it to the new wheel. I'm gonna take mine out and even pull the switch on the dash for it as well...

Justin86
03-09-2004, 11:44 AM
All I need is a smaller wheel with two red buttons. :D

Moodybluesr
03-09-2004, 01:08 PM
The main problem with swithing steering wheels in our cars is the shape of the trim around the steering column. There are two "wings" molded into its shape that prevent use of a wheel with a large footprint. Most aftermarket wheels use a hub which negates this problem, but if you use another Honda steering wheel, you will have to look out for this.

Magny
03-09-2004, 06:52 PM
I picked up an APC wheel yesturday, and have a hub and spacer coming for it in a few days.

The only problem you may have is getting the horn to work. You will have to play with the wiring and you will have to give up cruise control or rewire the switch onto the new wheel. If you never use it then just forget about wiring it to the new wheel. I'm gonna take mine out and even pull the switch on the dash for it as well...

Yeah man, I did this too. but that little plastic barrier inside where it prevents the wires or whatever from getting to the others, I just broke it off. I removed all my CC system stuff and my AC. Still tryin to figure out how to get that canister thing in the dash, got the one in the fender out np, but the one under the dash. Haynes doesn't show a damn thing about taking that thing out. Oh BTW just to make it more ghetto about the wiring of the horn, mine only activates when you turn it to the right a little bit.

Mike's89AccordLX
03-09-2004, 06:55 PM
I left my horn disconnected. I'm eventually going to just wire up a new horn to a button switch and mount it somewhere near the wheel.

crwa
03-09-2004, 08:04 PM
So you don't need that little black piece that spins with the wheel??? I think I'm gonna take the cc switch off the stock wheel and hide it inside the new spacer, that way all the wires are still there and I can just wire my horn that way... But then the question is, will ther be room for the plug with the wires to plug into the piece on the column when I put the adapter on??? This could get tricky...

original2k
03-09-2004, 10:43 PM
I have a 91 Prelude Si steering wheel if you want to buy that. It has the cruise control buttons too. It's the Y type of wheel.

so does your using it now? and cruise control works? but no horn? i don't know what a prelude si wheel looks like, hook me up with a pic and a price and we'll talk

Sabz5150
03-09-2004, 11:02 PM
http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/9/web/21000-21999/21859_30_full.jpg

Rip off the piece that the wiring harness connects to from the steering wheel. You'll have to pry it off from the center, there are four clips. On the underside of it there are three sets of contacts. Get a general idea of how far from the center the horn contact is.Remove the one for the horn. A Dremel works wonders for this type of stuff. Solder the contact from to your aftermarket hub. Use lots of solder, you don't want it coming off at all. MAKE SURE IT IS SOLDERED STRAIGHT.

From there, go back to the black clips that held the original plastic hub with the contacts on. Grab a nice set of pliers and snap all four of them off as deep as you can.

(Now we are assuming that your wheels are pointed straight. If not, use the original wheel and point them as straight as you can.)

Point the tabs for the signal cancel switch (it's white) so that they are horizontal. This will mate to the slots in the aftermarket hub (see pic). If you don't do this, your signal will not cut off after you complete a turn.

You can now bolt down your new hub cover and steering wheel. Make sure you tighten that wheel to torque specs. Bad things happen when the wheel comes off the hub. You should now be able to connect the horn switch to the wire coming from the hub. I suggest pulling your horn fuse b/c this part can get VERY VERY annoying without doing so.

After that you should be set. Pop the horn cover on, put the fuse back in. Rotate the wheel 360 degrees while pressing the horn. If it works all the way around, you've hit paydirt. Clean up, crack a beer and enjoy the look of your new wheel :)

original2k
03-09-2004, 11:04 PM

so does your using it now? and cruise control works? but no horn? i don't know what a prelude si wheel looks like, hook me up with a pic and a price and we'll talk

Moodybluesr
03-10-2004, 03:51 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33704&item=2462697720

This old auction has a poor pic of the Prelude steering wheel in question. The hookups are the same so both the cruise buttons and horn button will work just fine. I have one, too, and it is a pretty straightforward swap.