PDA

View Full Version : Brake Smell!?

mattalica
03-09-2004, 12:31 PM
I recently installed new brakes on my car(rotors and pads)and now I always smell brakes when I drive!Why?Do they need adjusting?If so how do I do that?thanks Matt. :cheers:

shepherd79
03-09-2004, 01:58 PM
did you clean rotors before you install them? they covered in oil to prevent them from rusting. you have to clean them with brake cleaner before you put them on.
i am guessing you are smelling the oil burning off when you brake.

Blkblurr
03-09-2004, 02:06 PM
Did you set the parking brake? Could be stuck with the brake slightly engaged. Happened to mine but they are disc brakes. See if your rear tires turn easily when lifted off the ground.

accordlxi2.0
03-09-2004, 02:46 PM
not brake fluid smell right???
if not then it depend's on what brand of brake you've bought.
plus a new set of brake's it has some type of coating that why when i do buy new set's i drive really fast.=)
to brake em in!

mattalica
03-09-2004, 02:52 PM
not brake fluid smell right???
if not then it depend's on what brand of brake you've bought.
plus a new set of brake's it has some type of coating that why when i do buy new set's i drive really fast.=)
to brake em in!
NO not brake fluid smell or oil just brakes.U know like how they smell after going down a long twisty downhill road.Just the brake smell.Although I am not sure if I cleaned the rotors but I think I did.Also it is just the drivers side rotor.Maybe it is dragging?Can I adjust that?Thanks Matt

accordlxi2.0
03-09-2004, 02:59 PM
nope i say give it 4-6 day's the smell should be gone

Blkblurr
03-09-2004, 06:02 PM
After driving for a short distance say a few miles stop and feel the wheels. The one with the problem will be much warmer than the others. I have never had that problem in all the brake jobs I've done so it's not normal to smell this.

accordlxi2.0
03-09-2004, 06:41 PM
i have this problem all the time and trust me my brake's were'nt dragging.
maybe it cause i chose the $25 brake's instead of the $40 one's.
but after a week most it does'nt smell.

X-Lr8
03-10-2004, 12:46 PM
Perhaps your caliper bolts are not lubed anymore if they are dry the caliper could be sticking after you let go of the brake and the pads would still slightly rub

smufguy
03-11-2004, 01:19 AM
nope i say give it 4-6 day's the smell should be gone

Thats true. When the new brakes are being used, they sometimes tend to squeak/squeal and smell in their first times of use.

Rendon LX-i
03-18-2004, 12:07 AM
Did you jack up your front end and see if the rotor that has the smell spins easier than the other one? Anyways, my friend that has a 5th Gen Accord has this same problem on one of the rear brakes. Since the pads were kinda squeezing on the rotor, it broke the rotor where the seam met to where the rest of the rotor attaches to the hub. And he also had that smell too. Does yours smokes sometimes too? Anyone? He ended up buying a new rotor. So don't be surprised if your rotor breaks.

bboipinoy112
03-18-2004, 12:39 AM
what does brakes smell like? does it smell like ass? because after long drives. usually i smell funk as i open the door.

Rendon LX-i
03-18-2004, 08:12 AM
yeah smells like ass. smells like a burnt clutch if ever burnt one.