PDA

View Full Version : Tokico springs and struts installed!!!!

Volitech
03-09-2004, 04:44 PM
I finally got them on!!!! :cool2: And amazingly enough I didn't run into a single problem! :) It was only a one inch drop but I can definatly tell the differance and it handles a hell of alot better!!! :cheers:
I'm just happy to finally replace the stock suspention!!!

Mike's89AccordLX
03-09-2004, 04:49 PM
Where's the pics man? You can't hold us in suspense! Hurry up and get them u pon here.

Volitech
03-09-2004, 04:52 PM
Where's the pics man? You can't hold us in suspense! Hurry up and get them u pon here.

I can take pics but I don't have a place to host them!

Mike's89AccordLX
03-09-2004, 04:52 PM
email them to me and I will host them.

[email protected]

Volitech
03-09-2004, 05:03 PM
I'll take pic's in the morning it's too dark to get any decent pic's right now

Busted_Blue
03-09-2004, 05:09 PM
great job! Do you have stock rims? You must have the BEFORE and AFTER shots!!

Tell me how the ride feels, as i got the same setup in the works :)

Volitech
03-09-2004, 05:19 PM
great job! Do you have stock rims? You must have the BEFORE and AFTER shots!!

Tell me how the ride feels, as i got the same setup in the works :)

I have 16" O.Z. racing rims and Kuma tires! But I don't have any before and after pics due to the fact that the body isn't in the greatest condition....

As far as how it rides it was definatly worth the money it rides so much better than when I had new stock suspension! But I still need to get outside the city on some back roads and open it up!

Mike's89AccordLX
03-09-2004, 05:25 PM
Where did you buy them and how much were they?

Busted_Blue
03-09-2004, 05:35 PM
well, as far as installing goes, any trouble? what is the difference when you install these springs compared to replacing worned out shocks?

did you cut those bumpstops like tokico instructions said?

Volitech
03-09-2004, 05:39 PM
Where did you buy them and how much were they?

I got the struts off ebay for $230 and the springs I got from tokico for $69 shipped!

Hash_man_Se_i
03-09-2004, 05:40 PM
Definately need to see some pics.. I have tokico shocks, and I am curious about the springs/.

Volitech
03-09-2004, 05:46 PM
well, as far as installing goes, any trouble? what is the difference when you install these springs compared to replacing worned out shocks?

did you cut those bumpstops like tokico instructions said?

I would recomend buying all new bushing if you can afford it! Some of mine were getting bad but I couldn't get the one's i needed so i used the old one's and i'll have to go back and replace them sooner or later! And no I didn't cut the bump stops it didn't seem nessisary! or at leastthat's what me and my buddy determined!

Busted_Blue
03-09-2004, 05:47 PM
I got the struts off ebay for $230 and the springs I got from tokico for $69 shipped!
wow im going the exact same route you are. JDMwerk is the seller right?

$220 (cuz im waiting for the auction to end lol) then add $63 for the springs. The springs are black and had a nice thin layer of dust or watever (could be from the box, i dunno)

The rates for these badboys are 66% front and 63% rear. I figured if I got the springs from Tokico, hell might as well get the shocks from them. Why would Tokico make springs and shocks that are imcompatible? (i hope thats not the case)

I would recomend buying all new bushing if you can afford it! Some of mine were getting bad but I couldn't get the one's i needed so i used the old one's and i'll have to go back and replace them sooner or later!

well, my bushings look fine, i checked them all last week. They don't need to be changed just yet.

Mike's89AccordLX
03-09-2004, 05:49 PM
Just get those pics up ASAP b/c I will buy those Tokico springs if they look nice. I was interested in H&R springs but For $68 shipped you cant go wrong. Plus it's only like .5" drop difference. And since its only an inch you shouldnt need camber correction unless your ride is already f-ed up.

Busted_Blue
03-09-2004, 06:00 PM
I was about to get Neuspeeds. The price of tokico is tough to beat. I notice a lot of ppl say there is bounce with the Neuspeeds/Tokico Setup and others don't. I has occured to me that perhaps the Neuspeeds are TOO soft for the struts and not that the struts are too soft for the springs. Just a speculation on my part. Perhaps the Neuspeed are too soft..and causing bottoming outs because of that.

Mike's89AccordLX
03-09-2004, 06:04 PM
Well I figure since tokico makes both they have to be decent. I just want to see what it looks like though before I buy them.

89cordlx
03-09-2004, 06:35 PM
everyone says that combo will feel like you have blown struts. thats not true is it?

Volitech
03-09-2004, 06:42 PM
everyone says that combo will feel like you have blown struts. thats not true is it?

Not at all! My car rides great now!!!

Mike's89AccordLX
03-09-2004, 06:44 PM
Well I hope that it looks great b/c I have wanted to lower my car for a long time and I don't have $1000 to spend to do it perfect. But I think I can spend $288 for it though.

89cordlx
03-09-2004, 06:57 PM
hah looks like I am goin for it

Mike's89AccordLX
03-09-2004, 07:13 PM
Here's a pics of his car he's getting more tomorrow in the day.

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/10/web/322000-322999/322549_102_full.jpg

Busted_Blue
03-09-2004, 07:13 PM

who is everyone, i have not seen these responses before.

pics: not bad. Perhaps more clearer pictures tomorrow will show the benefits.

Mike's89AccordLX
03-09-2004, 07:15 PM
I really don't know if I would want them, but the pic is hard to tell b/c its looking down at an angle so it may make the wheel gap look bigger. Volitech if you could get the whole car tomorrow from a side view and then a front and rear view that would be awesome! I will host the pics for you so just send them to me.

Thanks for giving me the pics.

-Mike

Volitech
03-09-2004, 07:20 PM
I really don't know if I would want them, but the pic is hard to tell b/c its looking down at an angle so it may make the wheel gap look bigger. Volitech if you could get the whole car tomorrow from a side view and then a front and rear view that would be awesome! I will host the pics for you so just send them to me.

Thanks for giving me the pics.

-Mike

Not a problem my camra dosen't have a very bright flash so their not very good from adistance I'll have some pics in the morning!

Busted_Blue
03-09-2004, 07:33 PM
lower pictures in more of a profile will help :)

89cordlx
03-09-2004, 07:51 PM
well, when I said everybody I more or less ment Jim said they would suck hehe

Mike's89AccordLX
03-09-2004, 08:29 PM
Here's another shot he sent me.

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/10/web/322000-322999/322549_103_full.jpg

Send us some side shots tomorrow showing the whole car b/c it would be nice to see the whole setup from different views.

89cordlx
03-09-2004, 10:38 PM
that doesn't look low enough.... maybe it would help if we had a before and after pic hehe

Busted_Blue
03-10-2004, 01:24 AM
When i do mine, i'll do a before and after pic show! :D hopefully i can. Of course, the lowering is...only just 1inch.. still improvement on handling. What size tires are those?

Mike's89AccordLX
03-10-2004, 07:40 AM
Yeah once I see the whole car I will decide, I think I'm going to go with the H&R's though.

89cordlx
03-10-2004, 08:15 AM
Only have until the end of the month to get those springs for that cheap price. With only a one in drop you shouldn't have to worry about camber, good time to replace my ball joints..... spendin all this money when yesterday I applied to go to community college..... good job Andy

Flipupheadlightdude
03-10-2004, 10:38 AM
Where could I find the same setup? Maybe a website or something would be nice.Thanks

Busted_Blue
03-10-2004, 10:44 AM
I think 1inch is enough. To spend the extra 100bucks just to get .5 of a drop and softer springs is a no contest for me. I stuck to tokico mainly since the price is cheap and since tokico makes springs, the blues from tokico should hodeup. After all, they do reccomend HP shocks to be used with the springs. The extra 100bucks is going elsewhere for me.

With the tokicos, i spent about $283. If i went with H&R/Neuspeed with Tokicos I would be around the $400 range. The sacrafice for $100 savings, IMO is worth it.

Another thing, springs need to settle in. Give it two weeks or so. It will go down a bit.

Mike's89AccordLX
03-10-2004, 11:35 AM
Interesting, I didn't know that. I guess I will probably get them but I still want to see the whole car.

Bloodlust
03-10-2004, 12:19 PM
Here's another shot he sent me.

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/10/web/322000-322999/322549_103_full.jpg

That would be a perfect drop for me since i have the kit now. You said thats a 1" drop? Actually looks more than that. I just bought H&R springs and putting them on my Tokico blues which would make a 1.7" drop. Ill let you guys know how that ride is as soon as the guy in brown brings them to my front door.

89cordlx
03-10-2004, 12:50 PM
Wouldn't you want a softer spring with those the Tokico Blues since they're not some 60% stiffer than stock, like the Tokico springs are.

Busted_Blue
03-10-2004, 03:20 PM
Wouldn't you want a softer spring with those the Tokico Blues since they're not some 60% stiffer than stock, like the Tokico springs are.
'

I'm not too sure on your wording here. Could you reword it?

----Bloodlust: that's great! Hope to see what you have in store for your car. Spring drops varies. ON PAPER, the tokico says it is a 1 inch drop. Thats not always the case. I remember people geting springs that stated 1.7 and it dropped them well over 2inch (cant remember the brand). Another thing is that shot perhaps might not do justice for it. More shots of the full car will make it more clear on how low the drop is.

-To each man his own.

Hash_man_Se_i
03-10-2004, 03:38 PM
Hmm that doesnt look like a huge drop... right now I have a 4 finger gap between my rear fender and the rear tire. I dont know if that drop is quite enough. I think that the .5" drop will make some what of a difference, and I am willing to try the Tokico blues with the H&R springs.

89cordlx
03-10-2004, 03:40 PM
Tokico HP struts aren't 60% stiffer like the springs are. so, wouldn't you want something softer like the H&R spring (hope thats better)

Bloodlust
03-10-2004, 03:43 PM
Tokico HP struts aren't 60% stiffer like the springs are. so, wouldn't you want something softer like the H&R spring (hope thats better)

Wait, who are you talking to? Your confusing me :tongue: . I said before that I just bought H&R springs and am installing them soon. They are stiffer than Eibachs so thats good. I am looking for a stiffer ride, and so I dont bottom out with the new kit.

Oh yeah, Busted Blue, you will see soon what i have in store for my 3g. The exterior is basically done, now its time to do some performance mods ;) DC Sports strut bar is already in the mail, DC Sports header is next, then comes the catback exhaust.

89cordlx
03-10-2004, 05:46 PM
it was ment for busted blue, he wanted me to reword my previous statement, and I think I did

Busted_Blue
03-10-2004, 07:28 PM
it was ment for busted blue, he wanted me to reword my previous statement, and I think I did

Well, a spring is 60% stiffer but it doesn't mean that struts need to be 60% stiffer. The struts just need to be able to cope with the springs and I'm just saying that the springs were made by tokico, so I would imagine they tested it with their shocks too.

Jim is very knowledgable, but it all comes down to whether you like your ride or not. I still think that the Tokico struts can handle the Tokico springs. (time will tell when i install my set) It wouldn't make sense that they make a spring that doesnt work with their own shocks. That's not right marketing..most manufacturers reccomended their own products for best results. (my conclusion at least)

Hash_man_Se_i
03-10-2004, 07:43 PM
WE NEED MORE PICTURES! lol... i want to see more pics of this drop/

Busted_Blue
03-10-2004, 10:17 PM
What happened to Volitech? i swore he said he was going to give us more pics! Must be having fun with his new ride.

Mike's89AccordLX
03-11-2004, 12:27 PM
Well he said he sent me more pics but I didn't get them in my email, so maybe hotmail is being picky or something. So if someone else wants to contact Volitech and offer to host the pics that would be great.

Volitech
03-11-2004, 05:23 PM
Well here's a few more pic's but I can't figure out how to remote link them so you'll have to click on the links!

http://www.prostandz.com/carpicside.jpg

http://www.prostandz.com/carpicside2.jpg

http://www.prostandz.com/carpicsrear.jpg

Busted_Blue
03-11-2004, 05:31 PM
Definitely great pics in showing the drop. not too low of a drop but..i'm sure the ride is definitely different.

You going to slowly fix your car back to showroom floor condition?

http://www.prostandz.com/carpicside.jpg
http://www.prostandz.com/carpicside2.jpg
http://www.prostandz.com/carpicsrear.jpg

Volitech
03-11-2004, 05:39 PM
Actually I'm not gonna find another LX-i or a SE-i and put the engine and tranny that I'm building in it and swap all the upgrades on to said nicer car!

Volitech
03-11-2004, 05:46 PM
Oh yah also it's not worth trying to fix this car's body because last summer I was driving down a 3 lane hyway while it was raining at night! Out of no where I hit about 6"-8" of standing water in the fast lane it spun me around and i just barely hit the concrete divider but enough to make sure the head lights were in the up position forever!

Busted_Blue
03-11-2004, 06:00 PM
Did you get an alignment check yet? I high advised that. You never know if the toe was changed enough to kill tires =X

89cordlx
03-11-2004, 06:53 PM
I really wish you had a before pic.... I am sure they have to settle in some too, am I correct?

Mike's89AccordLX
03-12-2004, 07:58 AM
My suspension must be pretty bad b/c I think my car is sitting a little lower than that. I think I will save up for the H&R springs if bloodlust likes how his rides.

Mike's89AccordLX
03-12-2004, 09:09 AM
Alright guys I can't remember if we were able to just buy the Tokico Springs from Tokico directly or if we had to buy from a dealer? My question is where did you guys get your Tokico Springs?

89cordlx
03-12-2004, 09:55 AM
I am pretty sure you call tokico and order.

Volitech
03-12-2004, 11:23 AM
Alright guys I can't remember if we were able to just buy the Tokico Springs from Tokico directly or if we had to buy from a dealer? My question is where did you guys get your Tokico Springs?

What you have to do is call 1(800) 548-2549 and ask for ext.232 tell them you seen the OVERSTOCK SPECIALS on their website and tell them you needpart #HPS5045
and have a valid credit card!