PDA

View Full Version : We've got a code 12

mag_pbg
03-10-2004, 05:10 PM
I was driving around the other day when my check engine light came on, so I pulled over and got the 'ol haynes book out and checked the ECU which read code 12, my question is will this cuase any serouse (sp) prob. I know alot of people have removed thier EGR's but will it not functioning right matter¿ My car still drives the same i havn't had any prob. so far but a freind of mine said that it could cuase me to burn up my pistons or something like that.

shepherd79
03-10-2004, 05:16 PM
it won't cause the piston burn up.
all it does is recirculate the exhaust gases to reduce the emissions.
try this. remove the EGR valve and use some carb cleaner to clean it, when you clean it, push on the piston this way it will clean inside too. if that doesn't fix the problem, you will have to replace the unit.

mag_pbg
03-10-2004, 07:17 PM
Thanx shepherd79 I will have to do that tomorow after school, if that doesn't work would it be easier if I just clamped that metal hose, and plugged the 02 sensor on the exuast manifold.

shepherd79
03-11-2004, 04:06 AM
you need the O2 sensor for your ECU and you need EGR for your ECU. stupid american emission laws. when my EGR valve was bad, i had bad gas mileage, plus uneven idle.