PDA

View Full Version : Help ASAP Please!!!!

89 Accords Rock
03-11-2004, 04:01 AM
Im having a major issue with my 89 LX. Just the other day I was idling at Tim Hortons and the car up and died on me. It almost felt like i turned the key off. I tried to start it and nothing, I towed it home charged the battery, and then the next day i checked for spark and it started no problem. Then i was driving it again and it died again. Same thing Shut it off and wouldnt start back up. I replaced the coil becuase after testing it, A-D test read 0.2 Ohms Vs 1.5 which it required. Now the car started fine again, and then when i drove home the car died on me in the intersection while i was idling there. Pushed it into a parking lot, and tried starting it. NOTHING, Towed it home again, and The next day it started up. The plug for the coil wasnmt on all the way,. Ran fine on my way to work, and then on the way home it died on me AGAIN!. I know some other people on this board are having the same problems, But it seems like mines escalating more. I have spark and Obviously have some fuel if the car is starting up. Could it be a problem with the carb or the ignition relay switch???? Anyone who had this problem get it figured out? Please I need help ASAP! LOL

Legend-H-88
03-11-2004, 06:54 AM
sounds like an ignition problem, maybe there is a wire pinched somwhere ( grounding out), check the wires for the coil, and the wires for the magnetic pickups out of the distributor. possiably the pickup is going bad. check the ECU for codes, when you have it running, and until i get it fixed i would park it, towing$$$$$$$ that sucks, i had something simular happen to a different car.

89accord_lxi_coupe
03-11-2004, 07:18 AM
my car was having that problem and i had to replace the ignition wire. it basically just went bad. ever since i replaced it i've not had a problem like that again. where is the ECU anyway, i've never found mine. i've got an 89 lxi. coupe if that makes a difference.

89 Accords Rock
03-11-2004, 10:33 AM
Thanxs for the advice. Ill check out the ignition wires. My car doesnt have an ECU its an LX carb. So i cant even check for codes or anything like that. The spark plug wires and plugs are brand new. And i still have spark so I know its gotta be either something with fuel or ignition. If anyone else has ANY ideas, please please let me know! im in a bind here and cant figure it out. Its alright about the towing. I have CAA and my dad has a pickup truck and has towed me home a few times already. So no money out of my pocket!!!

89 Accords Rock
03-11-2004, 10:40 AM
Oh 89 Accord LXi. Your ECu should be located underneath your seat or the passenger seat. There should be a box with lights on it and it will blink. open the service manual and it will tell you what the codes mean and how many times they blink indicate a diff problem with the car.

Blkblurr
03-11-2004, 11:54 AM
Your ECU is under the drivers seat and the carbed version has an ECU also

Justin86
03-11-2004, 11:58 AM
the ECU on the carb controls all your sensors and vacum crap.

k-roy
03-11-2004, 12:06 PM
the ECU on the carb controls all your sensors and vacum crap.
Its pretty much useless when you yank out the vacuum lines and black box. I don't even have my ECU installed anymore.

I had a similar electrical problem once, it ended up being my ignition switch.
If I were you I would start with changing the cap and rotor. Then inspect all wiring and connections. Your problem could also be with the ignitor (inside the distributor) or the distributor itself.

89 Accords Rock
03-11-2004, 12:41 PM
Yeah New cap and rotor. Inspected the cap for cracks, and condensation. It was good all around I think im going to check fuel pump, fuel delivery, and float in the carb tonite, then i might check the ignition switch, with a light tester or ohm meter, whicever one i dig up first from the tool box!

89accord_lxi_coupe
03-11-2004, 01:04 PM
thanks for the note on where ECU is. i don't have an operators manual though, all i've got is a hayne's and that won't tell me. didn't someone post codes here somewhere before. i'll search for it.

k-roy
03-11-2004, 01:06 PM
thanks for the note on where ECU is. i don't have an operators manual though, all i've got is a hayne's and that won't tell me. didn't someone post codes here somewhere before. i'll search for it.
ECU Codes (http://3geez.com/showthread.php?t=26342)
*note* that list is only for PGMFI

89accord_lxi_coupe
03-11-2004, 03:35 PM
yeah, i already got them. if you notice my name, my car is an LX-i, so they'll work. i did find it difficult interpretting what those numbers meant. if the LED light flashes that many times, then you know which code to look for?? what's the 85-98 part of it for?

Michael Cote
03-13-2004, 06:25 AM
Could be carb ice. Make sure you have the heat stove pipe from exhaust side of engine to air cleaner snorkle hooked up and the temperature flapper working properly. If it's not heating the air prioperly on the way in then it could be frosting up inside and stopping fuel from entering inside of carb. This can happen at -2 to +2 with high humidity, especially wet but not soaked. Just a thought. Goodluck, Mike C.